Dilemma: Miata or Focus - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #41
replica81
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88615
What I Drive: 05 ST

FF Reputation: 3 replica81 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I agree. The idea of a paid off car is just too appealing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #42
apagios
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 40891
What I Drive: '03 ZX5 SVT, '05 Mazdaspeed Miata

FF Reputation: 3 apagios Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
+1 on the functional/fun Focus plus a Miata for stupid grins. I use my 5-door SVTF for everything to include towing the bikes, and much as I love the SVTF, I still enjoy a great top down day in the Mazdaspeed Miata!

When the SVTF eventually dies, I'll probably nab a orange Fiesta ST to go alongside my lava orange mica Mazdaspeed Miata

Don't have a good shot of both online, but the hatchback/roadster combo can't be beat!
Old 11-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #43
replica81
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88615
What I Drive: 05 ST

FF Reputation: 3 replica81 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I love the MSM bucktooth intercoolers!
Old 11-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #44
Romans5.8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119488
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 4 Romans5.8 Good Standing Member
The MSM is definitely cool! Though the non-Mazdaspeed miata is great, too!

There are rumors about the MSM coming back! And rumors of a return of the S2000!
2011 Honda Shadow Aero, Candy Red (Wife's Bike)
Old 11-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #45
apagios
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by replica81 View Post
I love the MSM bucktooth intercoolers!
As much as I love my MSM, I hate the IC. They suck. They heat soak stupidly quick. Now granted when the MSM was sold (2004-2005, supposed to be 4,000 each year, but a fire in the plant cut the 2005 production down to ~1400. My Orange was only offered in 2005, and they only made 394 of them before the plant caught fire!) the Mazdaspeed version was only $795 more in MSRP than the loaded Miata at the time. So to get a turbo and better suspension for only $795 increase in cost is a crazy deal! Obviously shortcuts were taken.

The MSM is rated at 178 hp and 166 ftlbs at the crank, it's a blast in stock form but in the spring I'll be adding Flyin Miata's "Little Enchilada kit". It basically maximizes your MSM short of buying a new ECU (stock ECU is not flashable/tuneable, and the Hydra ECU doesn't support OBDII which I need for stupid MD emissions testing every 2 years). The kit is a turbo back exhaust, and full intake, and big IC that won't heat soak, it gets you to ~200 hp and 200 ftlbs to the wheels on a 2500 lb car. So obviously Mazda shipped the MSM's with a restrictive intake and exhaust, but given the price, not many people complain.

If you go for a MSM, check these guys out, awesome company!
http://www.flyinmiata.com/
http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?...umber=22-10005

My MSM I'd like to be my "life car", drive it as a fun little turbo for 6-8 years or until ~200k miles when the engine's getting old and tired, then swap a LS3 into it! I tried to sell my friends a spare kidney to fund this, but unfortunately they weren't buyin:
http://www.flyinmiata.com/V8/for_sale.php

Really any Miata you get will be a blast and easy to mod and find parts for. It's part of the reason I'd like to keep my MSM forever, they made so many Miatas, and the aftermarket support is so good that when I am old in 20 years I should still be able to find parts for it.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #46
Shru63
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 119783
What I Drive: 2014 Race Red Focus SE (5 speed)

FF Reputation: 1 Shru63 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by apagios View Post
+1 on the functional/fun Focus plus a Miata for stupid grins. I use my 5-door SVTF for everything to include towing the bikes, and much as I love the SVTF, I still enjoy a great top down day in the Mazdaspeed Miata!

When the SVTF eventually dies, I'll probably nab a orange Fiesta ST to go alongside my lava orange mica Mazdaspeed Miata

Don't have a good shot of both online, but the hatchback/roadster combo can't be beat!
exactly what i am looking at (lava orange MSM), I currently own a 2014 focus SE as my daily driver to and from work and to the stores with my long time GF and the kids, But i have my 2010 Liquid Silver grand touring PRHT miata sitting in the garage for nice days (currently 15,261 miles on it)..
But for some reason i have had the bug to buy a mint condition lava orange miata, but with 2 car payments of my own right now, I am just window shopping....
I envy you for having such a superb looking car...
Old 11-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #47
apagios
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
The MSM is definitely cool! Though the non-Mazdaspeed miata is great, too!

There are rumors about the MSM coming back! And rumors of a return of the S2000!
Sadly no on both counts, at least for the US

The Honda concept car is a kei car and really too small for them to market in the US:
Honda S660 Concept portends a new kei car for 2015
Honda CEO says we shouldn't expect any new sports cars

And fars as the Mazdaspeed Miata, no dice. The Miata generations are termed NA (1990-98), NB (1999-2005), and NC (2006-2014). The next gen Miata, ND should be hopefully out in 2015, but it's been delayed a couple times, the latest is because Mazda & Alfa are platform sharing, so the ND miata platform will serve the new Alfa roadster too. They were aiming for 1000kg curb weight, not sure if they will hit it, but getting back to around the 2200 lb curb weight of the original NA should help.

It's likely that it'll be at least several years into the ND generation before they make a Mazdaspeed version. Same as Ford selling the Focus for a couple years before the ST came out. It's good business for any automaker to sell a new model generation for a couple years before bringing out a improved performance version.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #48
apagios
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shru63 View Post
exactly what i am looking at (lava orange MSM), I currently own a 2014 focus SE as my daily driver to and from work and to the stores with my long time GF and the kids, But i have my 2010 Liquid Silver grand touring PRHT miata sitting in the garage for nice days (currently 15,261 miles on it)..
But for some reason i have had the bug to buy a mint condition lava orange miata, but with 2 car payments of my own right now, I am just window shopping....
I envy you for having such a superb looking car...
Thanks! I'm still making payment on the MSM and 1 of the Ducati's too, plan to pay off those and a student loan before thinking about a Focus or Fiesta ST. I definitely prefer the multiple fun cars and bikes route to getting a single really nice car!

I really liked the PRHT NC's, great for all around and the PRHT is pretty awesome (in lightness, speed, and obvious security) I was seriously debating between the MSM and an NC, but at the time the NC supercharger kits were not yet done (cosworth had one that got sold by 3rd parties with questionable tunes). So the MSM gave me the easiest route to what I think is "good power"

When the NC is paid off, you should check this out, FM picked up the SC that Cosworth started with and made everythign into a well sorted kit:
Flyin Miata SC kit
Dyno run

As much as I love my Lava Orange MSM, had this SC kit been available at the time, I would have bought an NC and supercharged it!
Old 11-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #49
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by replica81 View Post
I don't miss those oil changes. As soon as that filter is loose, I remember the oil would run straight down my arm and into my shirt.

I see quite a few 06-07's with less than 50K miles for $10K or less. That's pretty cheap to me.
Those are the yrs when Mazda used the mzr motors, similar to what you have in your foci. '06 is when they went to the mx5 w/ a 2.0L mzr.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 11-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #50
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics

Bookmarks & Social Networks