Dilemma: Miata or Focus - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #21
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 20 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Plenty of life left in your ST, pay that off and start shopping for a miata. I'd rather have those two fun cars than one new focus. The dual car route is really nice as you modify/repair one or the other...you dont have to worry about finishing a project that night or over a weekend, especially if you run into an unexpected challenge

Call your insurance company, see what the actual price increase would be from adding a second car vs insuring a new car..bet its not too much of a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #22
swansong
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83576
What I Drive: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD

FF Reputation: 9 swansong Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
If you like the NC Miata, I'd consider looking into Honda S2000's as well. They can out-Miata a Miata, but they do cost a bit more. I can't seem to find any (even AP1's) for under $10k around here.
Gone: 2002 SVT, #1654

Hers: 2010 Focus SES: 70k, Ebony, Auto, Moon and Tune
Old 11-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #23
replica81
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88615
What I Drive: 05 ST

FF Reputation: 2 replica81 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I've owned a 2003 Miata before. It had a few suspension mods and I took it to a few autocross events. I loved it but it was a rather miserable car in the Houston heat. Now that I'm in Washington, it's game on!

The idea of having a paid off car is just so appealing. In the event of job loss or reduced pay, I'll always have that paid off car. But the idea of having a new Focus is nice too, as I'd not have to worry about any significant repair for a good 80,000 miles.

I'm open to any Miata. I've driven all three and they're all fantastic. Anything $10k and under, and I'll shop it once this ST is paid off.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #24
Buickboy
br/o/stang

Fan#: 28542
What I Drive: 72 Skylark, '12 Mustang

FF Reputation: 39 Buickboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
Id pay off the ST and keep an eye out for the perfect Miata. That way you can be ready to move on it when you find the right one, and still have a debt free daily driver in case life hits you with something hard.

My Mustangs up for sale because I'm sick of owing money on things
Old 11-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #25
replica81
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buickboy View Post
Id pay off the ST and keep an eye out for the perfect Miata. That way you can be ready to move on it when you find the right one, and still have a debt free daily driver in case life hits you with something hard.

My Mustangs up for sale because I'm sick of owing money on things
That's exactly why I sold mine. It was cheap enough, but having an $18k loan floating around was eating my brain. Take no shame in selling it. You'll feel GREAT once that noose is gone. I remember driving off the lot in my Focus after trading in the Mustang and laughing hysterically, bye bye debt! I'm getting drunk!
Old 11-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #26
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 42 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
So having 2 Foci is not in the cards at all?

If you talk with the guys who seriously track theirs, you'll find that the Miata really is a girls car (as noted by whomevers mother owning one). A well setup Focus will move very well on the track.

And it looks like if you'd go for a high mile S2000 that'd be in your price range too.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #27
replica81
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post

If you talk with the guys who seriously track theirs, you'll find that the Miata really is a girls car (as noted by whomevers mother owning one). A well setup Focus will move very well on the track.

And it looks like if you'd go for a high mile S2000 that'd be in your price range too.
I'm not interested in owning two, very similar, FWD cars.

I really doubt that's what "guys who seriously track theirs" say about Miatas. Well, unless winning is a feminine virtue.

I've driven S2000's and prefer the Miata.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #28
Buickboy
br/o/stang

Fan#: 28542
What I Drive: 72 Skylark, '12 Mustang

FF Reputation: 39 Buickboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by replica81 View Post
That's exactly why I sold mine. It was cheap enough, but having an $18k loan floating around was eating my brain. Take no shame in selling it. You'll feel GREAT once that noose is gone. I remember driving off the lot in my Focus after trading in the Mustang and laughing hysterically, bye bye debt! I'm getting drunk!
man, sometimes I think you can read my mind!
Old 11-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #29
Romans5.8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119488
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 4 Romans5.8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post

Yep, my mom owns one. She's also got a BMW R1200GS motorcycle. Only thing she doesn't like about her miata is that it's an automatic; she wishes she'd have gotten a 6 speed manual version! (Got a deal on the automatic and thought she could live with it). She's looking at expanding her stable to include a Corvette convertible, over the years she's had all kinds of sportscars from 2-seater BMW's, to a modified Pontiac Fiero, Mustangs, a 1967 Comet Caliente, even an S2000! So if you're gonna pick a poster-woman for what a girly car is you better watch out for what else you're gonna have to classify as 'girly', lol.

I know people say it's a girls car, but I can't quite figure out why. Maybe because it's a small 4 cylinder engine? But then, the big thing nowadays is to take a FWD economy car like a focus, slap a turbo and as many cans of plasti-dip as you can find on it, weight it down with heavy, poorly installed stereo equipment and then call it fast. If anything is a girls car it's a front wheel drive 4-banger. I'd much rather mod the RWD convertible with amazing handling that is the miata.

It is very small. Maybe that's why it's called a girls car? But for the life of me I can't figure out any real reason why they call it that- unless they've just never driven one. When you get behind the wheel of a miata it's a blast. Taking tight corners at 80mph- that's fun!

Having driven an S2000 once and a Miata several times (Mom and I swap bikes/cars all the time when we get the itch to ride/drive something different. Though right now I don't really own a 'cool' car :P). I think both are fantastic cars. But for a lot of reasons, I too would prefer the Miata. Just an awesome driving experience, plus they are dead reliable. Mom's has almost 90k on it now, it's her daily driver when the weather is good! (Otherwise she drives her truck). She's never done anything to it but brakes, tires, and basic maintenance. It's never needed anything!

If I was looking at a third car I'd seriously consider the Miata. My wife and I are even considering it to replace her Taurus. Between that and a Mustang convertible. I'd drive that Miata every day- no matter how 'girly' anybody thinks it is.

Also, there's a lot more track-oriented aftermarket for the miata than there is any focus. There are a LOT of miata track cars.

2011 Honda Shadow Aero, Candy Red (Wife's Bike)
Old 11-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #30
replica81
Focus Addict

I enjoyed watching the Miata club beat damn near everything at the autocross events I'd go to. The Miatas, Vettes, and S2000's just crushed everyone and were within tenths of each other.
SR #272
Beer and Metal.

Bookmarks & Social Networks