Dilemma: Miata or Focus - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #11
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
According to Jalopnik, all needs are met by the Miata. EVERY. SINGLE. NEED.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2013, 04:29 AM   #12
syncro87
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113430
What I Drive: 05 Wagon auto, 01 Wagon 5-spd

FF Reputation: 4 syncro87 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'd go the two car route, keeping your ST and picking up a Miata. Miatas are fun cars that hit a sweet spot like the three bears' porridge. Just right. They aren't fast straight-line, but they aren't meant to be. They are reminiscent of the old days when people drove MGs and Triumph Spitfires...but they're reliable unlike the old Brit cars. I have a 4 year old right now, so a Miata makes zero sense, but if I could at all justify it, I'd own one. They are just a great, simple, fundamentally good car and they drive sweet on a windy country road with the top down in the fall or at night in the summer. Modern classic, really.

I had a chance to borrow one at one point a few years back, and took it on a windy road through some woods in a relatively undeveloped part of our metro area and I had a grin on my face the whole time. I knew after that 20 minutes that I had to own one at some point.

You can always buy a new Focus down the line. Nice as they are, they are a commodity. Someday, though, you'll regret not having a Miata and you'll be at a stage in life where one makes no sense. Do it now while you can. :)
Old 11-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #13
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Do as I did, own both. I would either suggest getting an NA(1990-1997) or NB (1999-2005) as the prices would be considerably cheaper. You would be surprised at how many low mileage Miatas could be had at a reasonable price. Plus with the 1990-2005 you can buy a used hardtop from someone and it could be a more practical car during the winter as well.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #14
SVOFANATIC
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 113889
What I Drive: 1998,T red, SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SVOFANATIC Good Standing Member
Two cars all the way and if you can manage a Mazdaspeed Miata (MSM) you'll never regret it.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #15
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
sure... two cars they say. then comes another. and another... and another.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 11-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #16
SVOFANATIC
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 113889
What I Drive: 1998,T red, SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SVOFANATIC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebontoft View Post
sure... two cars they say. then comes another. and another... and another.
He has a point I have two now..... I want 50 more lol
Old 11-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #17
Romans5.8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119488
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 4 Romans5.8 Good Standing Member
My mom has a miata and that car is a blast. Not the fastest down the line but it handles great. Yes, it has a lot of body roll and is kind of sloppy; but that's sort of the point. It's a fun, visceral experience driving a miata. If you've never driven one, you need to. Especially the newer ones. And if it's a spare car, being down for a few days while you mod it here and there is okay!
2011 Honda Shadow Aero, Candy Red (Wife's Bike)
Old 11-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #18
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Pay off the car you have first, then look for a second. Your needs might change. Comparing a Focus to a Miata is night and day. Some cars don't have to be fast to be fun. I have a friend with a '78 Spitfire. It's not fast, but it's fun. When I had my '60 Valiant, you might be surprised at how many chicks digged that old car. I would get stopped in parking lots all the time. Having more than one car is a choice, but IMO, you should wait until you're financially capable of doing so- not put yourself in a double bind with 2 payments.

My wife and I are currently looking for a 3rd vehicle- a spare. Both of our vehicles are more than 5 years old, and over 130k miles. We can't really afford a new car, so we'll have to get another old one as a spare so I can work on one of the main cars while we still are able to work. The choice has to be this way because we're saving for a house, and $20k in cash is not so easy to come save up. Sure we could get a new car, and afford it, but then we'd have to put off that house for another few years. That's not an option I want to entertain.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #19
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
My mom has a miata and that car is a blast. Not the fastest down the line but it handles great. Yes, it has a lot of body roll and is kind of sloppy; but that's sort of the point. It's a fun, visceral experience driving a miata. If you've never driven one, you need to. Especially the newer ones. And if it's a spare car, being down for a few days while you mod it here and there is okay!
My Miata has no body roll, it's almost flat when cornering. The Focus has way more body roll than a Miata does any day. And you are right, it may not be the fastest out of the chute, but the handling does make up for that. You can always go for a Flyin Miata turbo set up as well to up the ponies for even more fun.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #20
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Get a Miata you won't be disappointed. The aftermarket is plentiful too. Unlike the focus....

Bookmarks & Social Networks