Some help with possible used focus purchase - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
Allfat
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 124017
What I Drive: 2001 Focus Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 Allfat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Some help with possible used focus purchase

I am looking at getting a Focus for a commuter car, I drive about 65 miles a day for work. I am currently driving a 2010 F150 that I love, but it is too expensive to operate as a commuter. I found a 2005 Focus wagon that I would like your opinion on. Here is the link:

http://www.gladstonemitsubishi.com/a...cus-se/776223/

It has 119,000 miles, automatic transmission. I went and drove it yesterday and it drove good. They offered to sell to me for $6000, but I still think that is too high. It would need new tires right away, the wear bars are far past showing, and I think maybe engine mounts need to be replaced as it had a pretty good vibration at idle. It also had some issues on the body, just typical used car scratches, dings, scuffs, etc... Not bad, but definitely not a perfect car.

The carfax was good, 2 owners, local to my area, no issues reported. What do you guys think would be a good price for this vehicle? I appreciate your input!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
autolite
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46002
What I Drive: 2006 pitch black zx4

FF Reputation: 3 autolite Good Standing Member
Wagons around me are hard to find So that maybe why its higher in price.I dont think its a bad deal.My car sometimes has more vibration at idle then other times but it does and has since day one had a vibration.You get used to it
Old 11-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
Allfat
Focus Rookie

Thanks for the input autolite. Anyone else have any input on this car deal?
Old 11-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
replica81
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88615
What I Drive: 05 ST

FF Reputation: 3 replica81 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Super high price. Offer $4k and see where you end up. Free to ask.
SR #272
Beer and Metal.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Price sounds high, duratec engine for that year is a plus over earlier models, looks like aftermarket wheels on that one from the picture.

Wagon is nice to have, but as a rule you shouldn't pay over blue book. With the issues mentioned, that's about blue book "good" condition at the best.

Look up the numbers using the zip for your area to get a better idea what to bargain for would be my suggestion.

S.R. #275

Old 11-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Car looks really clean. but the price is steep. KBB says private party would be ~$2,000 less and then minus new tires also.

So though it's a nice car, I wouldn't even throw an offer at them. I'd look for something with a more realistic price to begin with. Not something at the very top of book value.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:38 AM   #7
syncro87
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113430
What I Drive: 05 Wagon auto, 01 Wagon 5-spd

FF Reputation: 4 syncro87 Good Standing Member
Wagons are like hen's teeth around me. Used ones are snapped up in like 3 seconds if they are any good. They command premium prices, I've noticed. Every time I see one and think the price is too high, it sells shortly thereafter.

When I was shopping for mine, I found that to some extent, at least in my area, you can throw the book out. Demand means the prices are pretty firm and on the high side.

About 8 or 9 months ago, I bought the following. One owner, 2005 SE, automatic, 70k miles roughly, for $5600 if I recall. It needed rear shocks and the tires were probably 30%. I thought I paid a fairly high amount for it, but finding a wagon with less than 100k and for less than 6 grand around here is about impossible. You'll see one occasionally for $3 or $4 grand that has 130 or 150k miles on it. I was so tired of looking and missing them that I was willing to pay a little on the high side at that point to get a decent one with good miles.

I think the one you speak of is a little on the high side, by maybe a grand based on our local market. High 4's or 5 grand-ish would be closer to what the market would bear around here, I think. Yeah, 6 is too much for the miles. My gut says $4500 give or take $500.

Buying from a dealer pretty much means you'll pay at least a grand more than you would from an individual in any given situation, too. But sometimes you have no choice when looking for something odd, like a wagon. Depends on how patient you are, how far you're willing to travel, and how bad you need something.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:27 AM   #8
Allfat
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncro87 View Post
Wagons are like hen's teeth around me. Used ones are snapped up in like 3 seconds if they are any good. They command premium prices, I've noticed. Every time I see one and think the price is too high, it sells shortly thereafter.

When I was shopping for mine, I found that to some extent, at least in my area, you can throw the book out. Demand means the prices are pretty firm and on the high side.

About 8 or 9 months ago, I bought the following. One owner, 2005 SE, automatic, 70k miles roughly, for $5600 if I recall. It needed rear shocks and the tires were probably 30%. I thought I paid a fairly high amount for it, but finding a wagon with less than 100k and for less than 6 grand around here is about impossible. You'll see one occasionally for $3 or $4 grand that has 130 or 150k miles on it. I was so tired of looking and missing them that I was willing to pay a little on the high side at that point to get a decent one with good miles.

I think the one you speak of is a little on the high side, by maybe a grand based on our local market. High 4's or 5 grand-ish would be closer to what the market would bear around here, I think. Yeah, 6 is too much for the miles. My gut says $4500 give or take $500.

Buying from a dealer pretty much means you'll pay at least a grand more than you would from an individual in any given situation, too. But sometimes you have no choice when looking for something odd, like a wagon. Depends on how patient you are, how far you're willing to travel, and how bad you need something.
I haven't been looking long enough to really feel out the demand in our local market, there are really only 3 focus wagons in this price range and they all have over 100k miles. They have had the car for almost 6 months, so I think I can hold that over their heads as an indication of lack of demand for that model.

Does anyone see any issues with buying that car with that many miles?
Old 11-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #9
syncro87
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113430
What I Drive: 05 Wagon auto, 01 Wagon 5-spd

FF Reputation: 4 syncro87 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allfat View Post

Does anyone see any issues with buying that car with that many miles?
Anytime I buy a car with 120k miles on it, I figure there are certain things that it will probably need unless I have documentation that they've already been done. Timing belt on non Duratec cars, struts, strut mounts, maybe a tie rod or ball joint, etc. So budget those things going in when you make an offer on an older higher miles car, unless you have concrete evidence of them being done in the recent past.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
Allfat
Focus Rookie

Well, went and looked at it again today, this time with my cousin who is a mechanic. I am glad he went and drove it, he found the motor mount issue right off the bat, as well as it would need to have the struts replaced, as well as the required new tires. Basically we just walked away from it because there is no way that I was going to pay anything near what they were asking, so I didn't even bother with an offer. Thanks anyways for all of your help, I really appreciate your input.

The search continues.....

Bookmarks & Social Networks