2015 Lincoln MKC Is First Ford Product To Have 2015 Mustang's 2.3 Liter EcoBoost Engine - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #11
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 22 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
I'm not opposed to them going with a turbo 4 for a mustang, we'll see how the performance and mpg compares to the v6 once the car is released. Like Kabigon alluded to, the Mustang will get more power out of the turbo than what the Lincoln comes with. The torque is what will make it more interesting...

Now if only someone would stuff one of these 2.3's in a focus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #12
kylesvt720
NeedsMoarEverything

Fan#: 51359
What I Drive: 2006 Saabaru "The Unicorn"

FF Reputation: 16 kylesvt720 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
^ That's what the RS is getting.

ST CREW #107 / TEAM DURATEC #93 / D23 Crew #3
Old 11-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #13
F35-JSF
Focus Addict

Fan#: 102775
What I Drive: 12' Tuxedo Black SE, 08' ZZR-600

FF Reputation: 2 F35-JSF Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
I'm not opposed to them going with a turbo 4 for a mustang, we'll see how the performance and mpg compares to the v6 once the car is released. Like Kabigon alluded to, the Mustang will get more power out of the turbo than what the Lincoln comes with. The torque is what will make it more interesting...

I'm still hoping they put the 3.5 TT V6 in it.
:lol:Modding is whatever you define it as. Some people wanna boost, some people need 10 TVs, and some of these homos feel compelled to LED their cars front to back.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:55 AM   #14
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post

I've been seeing a lot of people saying cool 2.3 turbo swap focus ftw!

Technically ford has been building the turbo 2.3 for what at least 10 years now. Yet the swap has never been done. Why start now when cars are more complicated than ever.

It'll never happen the aftermarket for the focus will never happen. Its pointless to even talk about it.

now the aftermarket for the mustang is going to be epic. It will be like the fr-s all over again
Old 11-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #15
kylesvt720
NeedsMoarEverything

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlassMaker View Post
I
Technically ford has been building the turbo 2.3 for what at least 10 years now. Yet the swap has never been done. Why start now when cars are more complicated than ever.
How has ford been building the turbo 2.3 for ten years???

Old 11-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #16
Focus112
Focus Addict

Fan#: 50026
What I Drive: 2002 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 5 Focus112 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylesvt720 View Post
You referring to the Mazda mzr disi 2.3?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using FF Mobile
Old 11-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #17
kylesvt720
NeedsMoarEverything

My point is that Ford hasn't been, he said they have been for 10+ years. I'm not referring to anything... I'm assuming he's talking about the duratec engine line, that's been around since 2003ish in D23 form. No clue though.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #18
Romans5.8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119488
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 4 Romans5.8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The idea behind the small engine / turbo providing good fuel economy (and it does, if you have a light foot) is power on tap; and it's NOT about wide open throttle power. These small 4 bangers aren't strong enough to even maintain speed up a hill without major downshifting, but kick in some boost and they can. If an engine is lighter, has less displacement, and fewer cylinders, then it takes less fuel to overcome it's own weight and inertia.

It's basically like the old economy cars with these 60hp engines that could barely go up a hill or cruise above 70 but got great (for the time) gas mileage. Slap a turbo on that same engine and hills and hard acceleration aren't an issue. Drive it hard, you won't get good fuel economy, and run it at high speeds (85+) on the highway and it also won't because you're negating where it ACTUALLY saves fuel (being a really small engine when just maintaining a decent speed).

The small engine turbo design is working for fuel economy. Obviously when you step on it, economy is out the window (More air doesn't make power, more fuel does- but you need more air to get more fuel; when you add boost, you add fuel!). But the same is true of the bigger engines. The V6 mustang is able to get 29mpg on the highway but if you're on it all the time, you won't get near that.

The EcoBoost F-150 really shows that, too. The fuel economy is among the best in it's class (especially at lower speeds, doing 60 or 65 on the highway will get you darn near 30mpg which is insane), but it can actually out-tow the big V8's. But of course, it can't do both at the same time!

No, it's not a 100mpg dump truck; and I think the companies are over-selling what it is. But is IS a realistic increase in normal condition driving over a larger engine. The 5.0 F-150 and the 3.5L EcoBoost V6 have about the same towing ability but in real world, normal driving conditions with no load and no excessive speeds or acceleration, the EcoBoost will get better fuel economy; and that's great for people who want a truck or even occasionally need a truck; but only spend some of the time hauling something, the rest of the time it's just an empty truck wasting gas.
2011 Honda Shadow Aero, Candy Red (Wife's Bike)
Old 11-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #19
kylesvt720
NeedsMoarEverything

Holy off topic completely not needed wanna be "informative" post...

I think most people on hear understand the whole "eco-boost" movement.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #20
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylesvt720 View Post

Yes, I'm talking about the mazdaspeed3 engine. Intake in the front, manifold in the rear duratech engine.

Bookmarks & Social Networks