Sorry About This Bad News: All 00 & 01 Sedan Owners Should Read - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-20-2003, 05:18 PM   #1
DARKANGEL
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1754
What I Drive: 2003 PITCH BLACK LX

FF Reputation: 1 DARKANGEL Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Unhappy Sorry About This Bad News: All 00 & 01 Sedan Owners Should Read

Business - Reuters
Ford Focus Hit by New Quality Glitch
Thu Nov 20,10:31 AM ET

Add Business - Reuters to My Yahoo!

DETROIT (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co. (NYSE:F - news) said on Thursday that it was urging owners of about 671,000 Focus compact sedans to bring the cars into local dealerships for replacement of a component linked to chronic engine stalling problems.

AFP Photo

Related Quotes
F
DJIA
NASDAQ
^SPC

delayed 20 mins - disclaimer
Quote Data provided by Reuters
Related Links
Information for Owners (Ford)

Missed Tech Tuesday?
Find the perfect tricked-out cell phone, plus best hybrid phones and great phone games.

The cars affected, from the 2000 and 2001 model years and sold in Canada and Mexico as well as the United States, have already been subject to an embarrassing total of 10 recalls by U.S. safety regulators.

But Ford spokesman Glenn Ray said the sputtering engines, which the company is blaming on the corrosive effect of dirt or sludge buildup in a fuel delivery module designed in Europe, was not something the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (news - web sites) would officially record as a quality problem or recall.

"It's a product improvement program. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the quality of the fuel delivery module. It doesn't fail instantaneously or suddenly," Ray said.

"The root cause of the problem we've discovered in North America progressively over time is the variability and unpredictability of the gasoline-petrol standards in North America."

Ray said customers affected by the engine problem would get an extended 10-year vehicle warranty on the fuel replacement part and he stressed that no similar problems had been reported with 2002 and 2003 models of the Focus.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2003, 09:17 AM   #2
hotfocus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12
What I Drive: OLD: '00 Black ZX3, New: Pontiac G6

FF Reputation: 1 hotfocus Good Standing Member
Thanks for the info. I guess its good news for some poeple, at least Ford is doing something about this problem.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:07 AM   #3
RPIJG
Mr. Wizard

Fan#: 18
What I Drive: '02 Focus SE 4DR Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 RPIJG Good Standing Member
this is better than a lot of companies would do, alot of them would say, oops we fixed it in the new model, sucks to be you. At least Ford is willing to admit a mistake when they see it, better than Shitsubishi who just announced recently that they haven't issued recalls for things that deserved recalls.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:09 AM   #4
GonFishin
Focus Addict

Fan#: 262
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2006 Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 GonFishin Good Standing Member
I had a stalling problem, but it went away when I replaced my cams and installed adjustable gears. I still have a "dead spot" at about 3000rpms that I'd like to get rid of. It's a noticable (to me) spot of power loss. I do fear that fuel problem though, since the stalling has almost caused me to be in some serious accidents on numerous occasions. Since I have 50,000 miles now, Ford won't give me the time of day.....kinda makes you wanna suicide bomb the place to end the aggrivation!

2006 Mustang GT / Intake / Exhaust / Tune
roughly 290rwhp & 315rwtq
Old 11-22-2003, 01:19 AM   #5
avengerc4
Broken cars s[:)][:)][:)] :(

Fan#: 493
What I Drive: 02 PWorks SVTF, 2014 Subaru Outback

FF Reputation: 4 avengerc4 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
I hear you...recalls should be fixed at any mileage!
Old 11-22-2003, 12:04 PM   #6
oracleguy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 73
What I Drive: 02 Cloud9 ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 oracleguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by avengerc4
I hear you...recalls should be fixed at any mileage!
Uh... they are.

And it doesn't matter if you have any warrenty left either.
02 Cloud9 ZTS - Windows tinted, Volant Cold Air Intake, FC 65mm Throttle Body, Phoenix Gold speakers, clear corner lenses, fog light mod, 2.25in Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Redline Tuning hood quick lift kit.

SVT Upper Front Grill and Euro lower grill is up next.
Old 11-23-2003, 12:26 PM   #7
whc_emt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 501
What I Drive: 2003 Arizona Mist Metallic LX

FF Reputation: 1 whc_emt Good Standing Member
GonFishin: Your problem probably isn't your fuel pump. Yours is probably from improper fuel/air mix at that RPM. Considering your cam switch, I'd call and talk to a company that reprograms or makes new chips for your car. Or call the company that made your cams. They may have experienced problems similiar to yours while developing the cams.

Or, your injectors could be getting clogged up, considering that your car is almost four years old.

I could be wrong, but if I were you, I'd check it out. If I invest time and money into an engine, I'd wanna be sure that it was at peak form.

Peace

Thinking of. . .

FC SPI Header, FC CAI, FC hood, Eibach Pro Kit, FC O2 cheater, BDR 60MM TB, Bosal Cat-Back

Bookmarks & Social Networks