strut replacement--one or both? - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #21
fearfeasog
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 122137
What I Drive: Silver (grey) 2004 Focus ZTW

FF Reputation: 1 fearfeasog Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
To replace the front struts, it would cost you about $200 and would you take around 2 hours (for me, i could probably have the car back on the ground in less than an hour.) Have any friends that are automotive inclined? A second brain and second set of hands would make this pretty easy to work out on a flat driveway/parking lot

visit youtube and watch some videos of the job...see if it is something you would be comfortable doing
great idea. Thanks! $200 sounds way better than $600. I have more time than money, as they say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #22
fearfeasog
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

For others who may run across this thread:

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Hope that embed works.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #23
fearfeasog
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

good, it did.

So yeah that looks pretty do-able. I may just give it a go. I hear that Autozone will lend you a torque wrench for $100 refundable deposit. The rest I can probably get from my coworker.

Thanks to all of you for chiming in!

Last edited by fearfeasog; 11-13-2013 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Spelled "torque" like Peter Tork.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #24
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
It is very do able but be weary of rusty parts as they can get you unexpectedly especially if nothing has ever been done to the front of the car replacement wise.

Or if you are me you end up buying new sway bar end links every time because the damn nuts freeze on and I tear up the little allen key... of course I have terrible luck and a car that's been in two accidents that contributes to some of my issues I have had in the past with my suspension swaps. If you have buddy to help you I would recommend it.
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Old 11-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #25
fearfeasog
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringler26 View Post
It is very do able but be weary of rusty parts as they can get you unexpectedly especially if nothing has ever been done to the front of the car replacement wise.

If you have buddy to help you I would recommend it.
Good advice. I'm hoping some penetrating lube will help kepp the breakge at bay.

So lemme ask you all, It seems like I'll need a jack to get the car up and a jack or stand to keep the wheel/axel/whatever assembly supported too. Does that sound right? nIn the vid above it looks like he has a jack stand under the wheel, with some wood to make it softer, I guess.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #26
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
A block of wood helps to do a lot of things when using a jack - it helps distribute the weight across the jack platform, it prevents metal-on-metal damage, and it gives you an extra inch or two so you don't have to pump the handle as much to lift the car higher.

Its great that you are choosing to attempt this on your own, just be aware of the initial costs of doing your own work. Once you buy these tools, you'll have them forever but if money is tight it may be worth calculating how much you would spend on parts and tools (rental or purchase) vs just paying someone else to do the work this time.

Good luck! It's super easy and once done you'll have more confidence when it comes to tackling more complex car issues.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #27
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I never used a jack just man power under the control arm and that did the trick. Sometimes it is difficult to get the new strut into the knuckle which can be remedied by prying on the slot in the knuckle to open it up that little bit more.
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Old 11-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #28
fearfeasog
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringler26 View Post
I never used a jack just man power under the control arm and that did the trick. Sometimes it is difficult to get the new strut into the knuckle which can be remedied by prying on the slot in the knuckle to open it up that little bit more.
Great tip, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
A block of wood helps to do a lot of things when using a jack - it helps distribute the weight across the jack platform, it prevents metal-on-metal damage, and it gives you an extra inch or two so you don't have to pump the handle as much to lift the car higher.

Its great that you are choosing to attempt this on your own, just be aware of the initial costs of doing your own work. Once you buy these tools, you'll have them forever but if money is tight it may be worth calculating how much you would spend on parts and tools (rental or purchase) vs just paying someone else to do the work this time.

Good luck! It's super easy and once done you'll have more confidence when it comes to tackling more complex car issues.
thanks. mac.mogul. This will be the most major car repair I have attempted to date. I have replaced windshield washer hoses, the pump, lights, even a crank window regulator on my old Isuzu pickup. But this feels big! It's a major component of the car! I'll let you all know how it goes.

Just admitted to the Firestone guy that I was going to do it and he got cold...quick.

Now, off to research the trouble code I was given by the same Firestone ppl....we'll see if there's anything I can do about that, too.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #29
Miztaken1312
Focus Addict

Fan#: 74993
What I Drive: 2008 Black Coupe SES

FF Reputation: 2 Miztaken1312 Good Standing Member
Out of curiosity, what was the code?

Sent from my SGH-I747 using FF Mobile
Old 11-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #30
fearfeasog
Focus Jr. Enthusiast