strut replacement--one or both? - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #11
bringler26
FUBARCUS
 
bringler26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Fan#: 59705
Location: Mentor, OH
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

Posts: 5,708
Points 9,255, Level 64
Points: 9,255, Level: 64 Points: 9,255, Level: 64 Points: 9,255, Level: 64
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
No problem! Just keeping things organized. Helps you get questions answered quicker as a side benefit! BTW! Welcome to the forum!
__________________
2003 Ford Focus ZX3("FUBARCUS" was "Brokus") - old and still busted
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i - current DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
bringler26 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-13-2013, 12:50 AM   #12
sailor
"Elder"
 
sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Fan#: 57268
Location: Williamsville, NY
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Posts: 14,524
Points 9,842, Level 66
Points: 9,842, Level: 66 Points: 9,842, Level: 66 Points: 9,842, Level: 66
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 70 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If you can do a washer pump on yours you're well on your way as a mechanic for your own car, since they aren't easy to get to on these (grin).

Buy Tools is good advice if you have any interest in doing some repairs yourself, most of what's needed is quite cheap these days if you look around. You can usually do it cheaper even WITH the tool purchase included, and you won't need to buy the tools for the next job.

Cheap is fine for large occasional use tools like jacks & stands that don't get real heavy use at home. Hate to admit how many years have gone by, but my "large purchase" of a cheap floor jack at Sears so I wouldn't have to borrow one is still working well for me 40 years later!

Avoid dirt cheap hand tools though, just frustrating when they break & won't do the job. "Medium" grade such as Sears Craftsman or equivalent can be bought in sets on sale to get you started, and the lifetime guarantee is a real bonus. Home depot, Lowes, NAPA etc. have similar brands avail., picking one you like that's convenient so you don't need to run 3 different places & remember where each piece came from when you need replacements. Pro level tools like Snap On & Mac are wonderful, save some busted knuckles & do things others can't, but just not practical in cost for the average home mechanic.

FWIW - the biggest plus of doing some of the work yourself is that you stop feeling helpless & at the mercy of shops that often don't do it as well as you could - and charge plenty for the experience! Over time you'll learn to judge whether work is done well or not, and the value of real "experts" where needed. (When you know you're getting good work done, on jobs that you can't practically do yourself, the bill isn't so painful)

Struts & shocks are an easy bolt on project, with the jack & safety stands the big investment involved. If you have the time & space to do it, the cost savings & pride in accomplishment are well worth it.

Luck!
__________________
"Rubber Side Down"

S.R. #275
sailor is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #13
fearfeasog
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Fan#: 122137
Location: Northampton, MA
What I Drive: Silver (grey) 2004 Focus ZTW

Posts: 40
FF Reputation: 1 fearfeasog Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
If you can do a washer pump on yours you're well on your way as a mechanic for your own car, since they aren't easy to get to on these (grin).

Buy Tools is good advice if you have any interest in doing some repairs yourself, most of what's needed is quite cheap these days if you look around. You can usually do it cheaper even WITH the tool purchase included, and you won't need to buy the tools for the next job.

Cheap is fine for large occasional use tools like jacks & stands that don't get real heavy use at home. Hate to admit how many years have gone by, but my "large purchase" of a cheap floor jack at Sears so I wouldn't have to borrow one is still working well for me 40 years later!

Avoid dirt cheap hand tools though, just frustrating when they break & won't do the job. "Medium" grade such as Sears Craftsman or equivalent can be bought in sets on sale to get you started, and the lifetime guarantee is a real bonus. Home depot, Lowes, NAPA etc. have similar brands avail., picking one you like that's convenient so you don't need to run 3 different places & remember where each piece came from when you need replacements. Pro level tools like Snap On & Mac are wonderful, save some busted knuckles & do things others can't, but just not practical in cost for the average home mechanic.

FWIW - the biggest plus of doing some of the work yourself is that you stop feeling helpless & at the mercy of shops that often don't do it as well as you could - and charge plenty for the experience! Over time you'll learn to judge whether work is done well or not, and the value of real "experts" where needed. (When you know you're getting good work done, on jobs that you can't practically do yourself, the bill isn't so painful)

Struts & shocks are an easy bolt on project, with the jack & safety stands the big investment involved. If you have the time & space to do it, the cost savings & pride in accomplishment are well worth it.

Luck!
thanks for the pep talk! I'm so toeing the line on this. My choices to save $$$ are do the full replacement myself or just have the broken mount replaced. Read on for details...

FWIW, I called Firestone today to clarify their diagnosis. What I found out is that the only thing wrong is the MOUNT on the passenger side. They recommended replacing the struts only because of the mileage, not the condition. Now, the guy also said that if they replace just the mount, I may hear NEW noises coming from the strut. He didn't have a great rational as to why that would be, except that once you take it all apart and put it back together, compress the spring, blah blah blah, I asked him how the noises happen, he said that loss of fluid from the internals can cause it. I asked would replacing the mount push fluid out, he said no. So I am still confused about that.

Any insights there, anyone?
fearfeasog is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #14
Miztaken1312
Focus Addict
 
Miztaken1312's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Fan#: 74993
Location: Baltimore, MD
What I Drive: 2008 Black Coupe SES

Posts: 1,025
Points 1,321, Level 20
Points: 1,321, Level: 20 Points: 1,321, Level: 20 Points: 1,321, Level: 20
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 2 Miztaken1312 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I don't understand how you would lose fluid from a sealed strut...
__________________
FSWerks Turbo Kit @ 8psi , Stealth Exhaust, & Lower Stress Bar | Projectors w/5000K HIDs, LED Tails with Lamin-X Tint
Steeda Short Throw & Upper Strut Bar| FRPP Suspension & CFM Lower Mount |
Miztaken1312 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #15
fearfeasog
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Fan#: 122137
Location: Northampton, MA
What I Drive: Silver (grey) 2004 Focus ZTW

Posts: 40
FF Reputation: 1 fearfeasog Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miztaken1312 View Post
I don't understand how you would lose fluid from a sealed strut...
yeah, hmmmm.....Firestone policy, perhaps?

My buddy at work put it this way, and I'd never really thought of it this way before: some places are parts changers, other places hire mechanics.



Better go find me a mechanic.
fearfeasog is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #16
Miztaken1312
Focus Addict
 
Miztaken1312's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Fan#: 74993
Location: Baltimore, MD
What I Drive: 2008 Black Coupe SES

Posts: 1,025
Points 1,321, Level 20
Points: 1,321, Level: 20 Points: 1,321, Level: 20 Points: 1,321, Level: 20
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 2 Miztaken1312 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearfeasog View Post
yeah, hmmmm.....Firestone policy, perhaps?

My buddy at work put it this way, and I'd never really thought of it this way before: some places are parts changers, other places hire mechanics.



Better go find me a mechanic.
I meant like literally, the strut is a sealed piece. Its non serviceable. You can't crack it open to add/remove fluid.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using FF Mobile
__________________
FSWerks Turbo Kit @ 8psi , Stealth Exhaust, & Lower Stress Bar | Projectors w/5000K HIDs, LED Tails with Lamin-X Tint
Steeda Short Throw & Upper Strut Bar| FRPP Suspension & CFM Lower Mount |
Miztaken1312 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #17
2BlackFocus
Focus Rookie
 
2BlackFocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Fan#: 78518
Location: Franklin, IN
What I Drive: 2006 Ford Explorer

Posts: 15
FF Reputation: 1 2BlackFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miztaken1312 View Post
I meant like literally, the strut is a sealed piece. Its non serviceable. You can't crack it open to add/remove fluid.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using FF Mobile
It is possible to have a leaky strut. When I had my '06, the drivers side strut started to leak fluid from the top, which is why I replaced it. Damn Indiana roads can make stuff like that happen. Just did my wife's '08, and while they weren't leaky, they were shot.
__________________
2BlackFocus - Down to one, but still a Ford garage.
2006 Explorer: His, for getting dirty
2008 SES: Hers - The "nice" car
2BlackFocus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #18
Miztaken1312
Focus Addict
 
Miztaken1312's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Fan#: 74993
Location: Baltimore, MD
What I Drive: 2008 Black Coupe SES

Posts: 1,025
Points 1,321, Level 20
Points: 1,321, Level: 20 Points: 1,321, Level: 20 Points: 1,321, Level: 20
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 2 Miztaken1312 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I forgot about having a leaky strut. When I had my 2001 Sentra, the struts and shocks were pretty shot after 125k miles on them. The car rode lower, and rougher, but was still surprisingly comfy to drive in. I do miss that car. But my Focus blows it away.
__________________
FSWerks Turbo Kit @ 8psi , Stealth Exhaust, & Lower Stress Bar | Projectors w/5000K HIDs, LED Tails with Lamin-X Tint
Steeda Short Throw & Upper Strut Bar| FRPP Suspension & CFM Lower Mount |
Miztaken1312 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #19
fearfeasog
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Fan#: 122137
Location: Northampton, MA
What I Drive: Silver (grey) 2004 Focus ZTW

Posts: 40
FF Reputation: 1 fearfeasog Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miztaken1312 View Post
I forgot about having a leaky strut. When I had my 2001 Sentra, the struts and shocks were pretty shot after 125k miles on them. The car rode lower, and rougher, but was still surprisingly comfy to drive in. I do miss that car. But my Focus blows it away.
I don't feel a driving issue, but it is perhaps true that the struts should be replaced. I just really really don't have the dough. :(
fearfeasog is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #20
rambleon84
So mote be it
 
rambleon84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Fan#: 51521
Location: columbus, OH
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

Posts: 5,382
Points 7,353, Level 57
Points: 7,353, Level: 57 Points: 7,353, Level: 57 Points: 7,353, Level: 57
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
To replace the front struts, it would cost you about $200 and would you take around 2 hours (for me, i could probably have the car back on the ground in less than an hour.) Have any friends that are automotive inclined? A second brain and second set of hands would make this pretty easy to work out on a flat driveway/parking lot


visit youtube and watch some videos of the job...see if it is something you would be comfortable doing
rambleon84 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.