strut replacement--one or both? - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #11
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

Points 9,255, Level 64
Points: 9,255, Level: 64 Points: 9,255, Level: 64 Points: 9,255, Level: 64
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
No problem! Just keeping things organized. Helps you get questions answered quicker as a side benefit! BTW! Welcome to the forum!
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2013, 12:50 AM   #12
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 9,842, Level 66
Points: 9,842, Level: 66 Points: 9,842, Level: 66 Points: 9,842, Level: 66
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 70 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If you can do a washer pump on yours you're well on your way as a mechanic for your own car, since they aren't easy to get to on these (grin).

Buy Tools is good advice if you have any interest in doing some repairs yourself, most of what's needed is quite cheap these days if you look around. You can usually do it cheaper even WITH the tool purchase included, and you won't need to buy the tools for the next job.

Cheap is fine for large occasional use tools like jacks & stands that don't get real heavy use at home. Hate to admit how many years have gone by, but my "large purchase" of a cheap floor jack at Sears so I wouldn't have to borrow one is still working well for me 40 years later!

Avoid dirt cheap hand tools though, just frustrating when they break & won't do the job. "Medium" grade such as Sears Craftsman or equivalent can be bought in sets on sale to get you started, and the lifetime guarantee is a real bonus. Home depot, Lowes, NAPA etc. have similar brands avail., picking one you like that's convenient so you don't need to run 3 different places & remember where each piece came from when you need replacements. Pro level tools like Snap On & Mac are wonderful, save some busted knuckles & do things others can't, but just not practical in cost for the average home mechanic.

FWIW - the biggest plus of doing some of the work yourself is that you stop feeling helpless & at the mercy of shops that often don't do it as well as you could - and charge plenty for the experience! Over time you'll learn to judge whether work is done well or not, and the value of real "experts" where needed. (When you know you're getting good work done, on jobs that you can't practically do yourself, the bill isn't so painful)

Struts & shocks are an easy bolt on project, with the jack & safety stands the big investment involved. If you have the time & space to do it, the cost savings & pride in accomplishment are well worth it.

Luck!

S.R. #275
Old 11-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #13
fearfeasog
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 122137
What I Drive: Silver (grey) 2004 Focus ZTW

FF Reputation: 1 fearfeasog Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
If you can do a washer pump on yours you're well on your way as a mechanic for your own car, since they aren't easy to get to on these (grin).

Buy Tools is good advice if you have any interest in doing some repairs yourself, most of what's needed is quite cheap these days if you look around. You can usually do it cheaper even WITH the tool purchase included, and you won't need to buy the tools for the next job.

Cheap is fine for large occasional use tools like jacks & stands that don't get real heavy use at home. Hate to admit how many years have gone by, but my "large purchase" of a cheap floor jack at Sears so I wouldn't have to borrow one is still working well for me 40 years later!

Avoid dirt cheap hand tools though, just frustrating when they break & won't do the job. "Medium" grade such as Sears Craftsman or equivalent can be bought in sets on sale to get you started, and the lifetime guarantee is a real bonus. Home depot, Lowes, NAPA etc. have similar brands avail., picking one you like that's convenient so you don't need to run 3 different places & remember where each piece came from when you need replacements. Pro level tools like Snap On & Mac are wonderful, save some busted knuckles & do things others can't, but just not practical in cost for the average home mechanic.

FWIW - the biggest plus of doing some of the work yourself is that you stop feeling helpless & at the mercy of shops that often don't do it as well as you could - and charge plenty for the experience! Over time you'll learn to judge whether work is done well or not, and the value of real "experts" where needed. (When you know you're getting good work done, on jobs that you can't practically do yourself, the bill isn't so painful)

Struts & shocks are an easy bolt on project, with the jack & safety stands the big investment involved. If you have the time & space to do it, the cost savings & pride in accomplishment are well worth it.

Luck!
thanks for the pep talk! I'm so toeing the line on this. My choices to save $$$ are do the full replacement myself or just have the broken mount replaced. Read on for details...

FWIW, I called Firestone today to clarify their diagnosis. What I found out is that the only thing wrong is the MOUNT on the passenger side. They recommended replacing the struts only because of the mileage, not the condition. Now, the guy also said that if they replace just the mount, I may hear NEW noises coming from the strut. He didn't have a great rational as to why that would be, except that once you take it all apart and put it back together, compress the spring, blah blah blah, I asked him how the noises happen, he said that loss of fluid from the internals can cause it. I asked would replacing the mount push fluid out, he said no. So I am still confused about that.

Any insights there, anyone?
Old 11-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #14
Miztaken1312
Focus Addict

Fan#: 74993
What I Drive: 2008 Black Coupe SES

Points 1,321, Level 20
Points: 1,321, Level: 20 Points: 1,321, Level: 20 Points: 1,321, Level: 20
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 2 Miztaken1312 Good Standing Member
I don't understand how you would lose fluid from a sealed strut...
Old 11-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #15
fearfeasog
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miztaken1312 View Post
I don't understand how you would lose fluid from a sealed strut...
yeah, hmmmm.....Firestone policy, perhaps?

My buddy at work put it this way, and I'd never really thought of it this way before: some places are parts changers, other places hire mechanics.

Better go find me a mechanic.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #16
Miztaken1312
Focus Addict

Points 1,321, Level 20
Level Up 21% Completed
Forum Activity 9%
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearfeasog View Post
yeah, hmmmm.....Firestone policy, perhaps?

My buddy at work put it this way, and I'd never really thought of it this way before: some places are parts changers, other places hire mechanics.

Better go find me a mechanic.
I meant like literally, the strut is a sealed piece. Its non serviceable. You can't crack it open to add/remove fluid.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using FF Mobile
Old 11-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #17
2BlackFocus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 78518
What I Drive: 2006 Ford Explorer

FF Reputation: 1 2BlackFocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
I meant like literally, the strut is a sealed piece. Its non serviceable. You can't crack it open to add/remove fluid.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using FF Mobile
It is possible to have a leaky strut. When I had my '06, the drivers side strut started to leak fluid from the top, which is why I replaced it. Damn Indiana roads can make stuff like that happen. Just did my wife's '08, and while they weren't leaky, they were shot.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #18
Miztaken1312
Focus Addict

Points 1,321, Level 20
Level Up 21% Completed
Forum Activity 9%
I forgot about having a leaky strut. When I had my 2001 Sentra, the struts and shocks were pretty shot after 125k miles on them. The car rode lower, and rougher, but was still surprisingly comfy to drive in. I do miss that car. But my Focus blows it away.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #19
fearfeasog
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
I forgot about having a leaky strut. When I had my 2001 Sentra, the struts and shocks were pretty shot after 125k miles on them. The car rode lower, and rougher, but was still surprisingly comfy to drive in. I do miss that car. But my Focus blows it away.
I don't feel a driving issue, but it is perhaps true that the struts should be replaced. I just really really don't have the dough. :(
Old 11-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #20
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

Points 7,353, Level 57
Points: 7,353, Level: 57 Points: 7,353, Level: 57 Points: 7,353, Level: 57
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
To replace the front struts, it would cost you about $200 and would you take around 2 hours (for me, i could probably have the car back on the ground in less than an hour.) Have any friends that are automotive inclined? A second brain and second set of hands would make this pretty easy to work out on a flat driveway/parking lot

visit youtube and watch some videos of the job...see if it is something you would be comfortable doing

Bookmarks & Social Networks