Would you? - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-13-2013, 06:24 AM   #21
02fordsvt
Meh.

Fan#: 84654
What I Drive: 2002 SVT, 2001 SE (Rusty)

FF Reputation: 49 02fordsvt Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Yes, I would. I like the smaller package of the Fiesta versus the size of the modern day Focus. However, I'd be coming from a zx3 Mk1 Focus which was already smaller that a Mk3 Focus.
Hatch Nation #13 : Rally Revolution #13 : ROTM Jan '13
It's Bryan, not Brian
RSVT-170 Build in Progress
Derusting Rusty Build in Progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #22
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 116476
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES Sangria Red

FF Reputation: 5 SlickWilly Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I am sure you could turbo your current car, have a faster car with more potential for a lot less money, because you will lose your ass on your current Focus.

I do not know why everyone humps the ST's they are limited. There cool if you want a stock turbo car, but what happens when you go to upgrade that turbo. My buddy is running into this deliema, and conclusions are: Its cheaper/easier to turbo the non-ST (or really any of these damn eco-turbo cars) then the turbo'd ones.

Its an eco-box motor that Ford is trying to advertise as a race-car essentially. Though I am a firm believer in you should do whatever feels best for your self.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #23
Twenty
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17

Fan#: 90312
What I Drive: 2012 YB SE sedan w/ ST exterior

FF Reputation: 8 Twenty Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Turbocharging N/A Mk3s is not exactly a ready option right now. One I know of has been turbocharged (the Vaccar SE sedan) and a couple supercharged, but they were prototypes.

STs offer unique bodykits, better suspension, 6-speed transmissions, Recaros (most models), new wheels and tires, and a factory turbo all of which is under warranty. Simply adding a turbo to a standard Focus or Fiesta doesn't really compare.
SR #74/SMk3C #17/YBOC #03
Bill M.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #24
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty View Post
Turbocharging N/A Mk3s is not exactly a ready option right now. One I know of has been turbocharged (the Vaccar SE sedan) and a couple supercharged, but they were prototypes.

STs offer unique bodykits, better suspension, 6-speed transmissions, Recaros (most models), new wheels and tires, and a factory turbo all of which is under warranty. Simply adding a turbo to a standard Focus or Fiesta doesn't really compare.
And putting an aftermarket turbo on a ST is? Better suspension? Something easily upgraded on a regular Focus plus its not like the OEM suspension is really that good. Wheels and tires, PFFT, okay so everyone loves ST wheels tires? If your going to put any power down you will need better tires, its not like tires never wear out anyways. Factory turbo- ISN'T THIS THE ISSUE I JUST BROUGHT UP- the factory turbo SUCKS. Cool the car has a factory turbo, I am all for that but remember is still a ECO-Turbo. Seats? Non swap-able, and recaro's are the only good seat available? NOPE.

No one said it would be easier, I am saying it is more cost effective. Turbo kits are not hard to build, and if you understood a turbo (basically not humping an eco turbo) you would understand that it takes time, and money just like everything else with a car. If your willing to loose your ass to have a weak turbo now, rather than wait or build your own go for it.

Your damn right, the potential is quite obviously more extensive with an aftermarket turbo kit.

Your 6 speed comment is ridiculous. If your going for speed in a turbo car, you probably do not want a manual. There is a reason why most fast car's are auto's. A stalled auto with a shift kit is so damn efficient and I challenge you to shift faster then my Camaro could, and I challenge you to launch your manual better then you could in my auto. There is a reason why my stock motor, built trans AUTO was raping modded 6 speed Z28's. The only reason a manual could be more fun to drive over an auto is because you drive it like an (or curvy tracks), plain and simple. "Manuals are fun, I can drop gears to slow down" ( move, everyone loves hearing a loud four cylinder), I can shift where I want (Kudo's to you, so now you can let that mofo rev high and be an when you want). If your going to autocross your car, not go in straight lines I could see potential for a manual.

I am strictly talking for a go-fast build. Take nothing else into consideration Twenty. Sorry if I did not make that clear.

BTW: Go look at other ST thread, I believe the hero's of our site agree with me.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #25
Romans5.8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119488
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 4 Romans5.8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yup. Drive one first. In addition to being small and cramped, it's pretty loud and bumpy. I'm sure some love it, but it wasn't a fit for me.

A V6 mustang gets better gas mileage, and base price is actually cheaper than a Focus ST base. It's also 300 horsepower!

Truth be told, the Mustang and the Focus ST are not an apples to apples comparison. One is a FWD hot hatch with great handling, the other is a pony car. But, since you're asking for opinions, I'd look a lot more seriously at a V6 'Stang before I looked at a Focus or Fiesta ST. My $0.02!

Also, those talking about modding; a lot of people want a car that does what they want it to do STOCK. So the mods can be a moot point. Sure you can soup up a mk3 one day, but the ST is ready to go, under warranty, and performs well. I'm one of those people. I like a few bolt ons here or there, but I buy the car I want to perform the way I want it to right off the bat.
2011 Honda Shadow Aero, Candy Red (Wife's Bike)
Old 11-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #26
papaacer
Sonic's MK3 Crew #25

Fan#: 111083
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 7 papaacer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Did i just read slick say that you shouldn't turbo a manual car?
Originally Posted by TiStick View Post
One is ram air, the other is ram deer. I have intimate experience with both.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #27
CRP16
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105951
What I Drive: 2013 PB ST3

FF Reputation: 1 CRP16 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Yup. Drive one first. In addition to being small and cramped, it's pretty loud and bumpy. I'm sure some love it, but it wasn't a fit for me.

A V6 mustang gets better gas mileage, and base price is actually cheaper than a Focus ST base. It's also 300 horsepower!

Truth be told, the Mustang and the Focus ST are not an apples to apples comparison. One is a FWD hot hatch with great handling, the other is a pony car. But, since you're asking for opinions, I'd look a lot more seriously at a V6 'Stang before I looked at a Focus or Fiesta ST. My $0.02!
The V6 Mustang is an interesting alternative, I had a 2012 V6 with the performance package (summer tires, 3.31 rear end) and it was a blast, it wasnt as refined as the ST more of a raw performance vehicle but still very good overall.

I second that you go look at a Mustang, you could also wait until the next gen come out in the spring and get an ecoboost Mustang.
2012 Mustang V6/PP 6M - SOLD
Old 11-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #28
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaacer View Post
Did i just read slick say that you shouldn't turbo a manual car?
If that's what you interpreted from that you are far off from anything I have said, and need to read with both eyes. From a straight line racing a turbo in a manual is less efficient than an auto. Auto's drop less boost and stay high and smoother in the bands. Plus the risk of miss-shifts, early shifts, over-shifts all play a role.

I've only owned an turbo auto, so I probably know nothing.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #29
fiveofocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 60237
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SFE

FF Reputation: 1 fiveofocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRP16 View Post
The V6 Mustang is an interesting alternative, I had a 2012 V6 with the performance package (summer tires, 3.31 rear end) and it was a blast, it wasnt as refined as the ST more of a raw performance vehicle but still very good overall.

I second that you go look at a Mustang, you could also wait until the next gen come out in the spring and get an ecoboost Mustang.
I'm with you V6 mustang all the way especially with incentives you cant beat 300 HP for that cheap!
Old 11-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #30
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickWilly View Post
If that's what you interpreted from that you are far off from anything I have said, and need to read with both eyes. From a straight line racing a turbo in a manual is less efficient than an auto. Auto's drop less boost and stay high and smoother in the bands. Plus the risk of miss-shifts, early shifts, over-shifts all play a role.

I've only owned an turbo auto, so I probably know nothing.
I don't care about drag racing in my own vehicles, that's the least interesting form of motor sport, anyone can mash the gas and hold on to a certain extent. Sure there is some fear involved but it's much more interesting and fun to drive around a road course with elevation changes as well as turns.

Without a waste gate to bleed off the pressure you would blow up the engine during the transient overboost caused during the shift with an automatic transmission because it never unloads the engine between shifts. A manual transmission is actually better suited to the nature of the power delivery of a turbocharged car as evidenced by the fact that it was possible to run such a configuration without an intercooler or wastegate on the original Corvair Sypder Turbo. Of course technology has improved since then, but just more food for thought.

Automatics historically have had lower torque capacity stock for stock as well.

This is also ignoring the fact that in this specific car the automatic transmission is not actually a planetary automatic transmission with a torque converter but a dual clutch automated manual with a much lower torque capacity than the MTX-75.

No one outside of Roush with their mocked up TVS supercharger, or VACCAR with their SEMA show car from last year have even attempted to boost an MK3 Focus outside of Ford.

The K03 is not an "eco" turbo as you so vehemently claim, and has been used in numerous variations since the mid 1990s in all sorts of VW 1.8 L Turbos all of which had been easily capable of being hopped up beyond stock levels by quite a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
So the next item on the board is packaging. Part numbers will be available soon. This is the official packaging, You can buy the Snorkel, air Filter, Procal & plugs as a package.

And then you can just the the Plugs and Procal. I though that you could get the Procal by itself, but that is not what my source is telling me.

Dan's information is correct about waiting for the CARB certification. My source, then goes on to say it might be until the end of the year before that happens. Part numbers will be out soon (Prices...) So, line up your pockets for this Christmas!

CURVES

Ford Racing was kind enough to provide some graphs RE: their Calibration. In order to get these gains you must have the Snorkel, Filter, the Colder Heat Range plugs, and their Procal. These gains were not done with their exhaust. My source says that it was not needed to achieve the gains. Quoted to say, "We have found that cat back exhaust modifications on this package do not result in a statistically significant power increase."

Here is some notes on their calibration:

Quote:
Ford Racing
*Note that our baseline run is much higher than every other competitorís baseline run because we are trying to show the truth as opposed to artificially making our FRPP calibration look better than reality. If a competitor is showing peak hp gains with their calibration, take a close look at their baseline run. Odds are it will be less than our baseline run because they ran their baseline with hot cats, or hot manifold charge temperature in order to make their calibration look better. Odds are also good that their peak hp number with their calibration is pretty much the same as ours (if performed on a Dynojet, as ours was). Note also that turbocharged cars should NOT be SAE or STD corrected using the traditional method because the altitude compensation in the traditional correction factor calculations will artificially inflate the turbocharged car power level relative to reality.

Quote:
Ford Racing
Data was collected in an environmentally (temperature, humidity, and altitude) controlled chamber in an actual vehicle at sea level equivalent altitude.
Their Calibration is 50 state emissions and OBD legal, and has passed Ford Racing's engine durability test on engine dyno.

Ford Racing wanted to point out that, their Calibration will be warranted. Also that if other tuners are confident in their product, why do they not provide warranty?

Any question you have, we can rely to the Ford Racing. I hope you enjoy the information! Thank you Ford Racing for the information and support.
Hell even with the official calibration (which should be far safer than the aftermarket calibrations as far as long term durability is concerned) makes up to a peak increase of 90 lb-ft of torque according to their data, and 48 hp under the curve, with a much broader torque curve. Nothing at all like a Cruze with the 1.4 L turbo which is actually an eco engine.

Bookmarks & Social Networks