Ac blower motor broken at 52k miles... Or so I thought. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
Matthew91188
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116774
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White FoFo SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Matthew91188 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Ac blower motor broken at 52k miles... Or so I thought.

Warning!!! Essay ahead:

So this past weekend I was going to the movies with a friend and as I was pulling into a parking garage that had a very steep entrance I heard this weird like high pitched noise from inside the car. It only lasted for a second but then as I got back on level ground it came back, it almost sounded like a cd skipping over and over so my friend suggested that and I removed the cd but but the sound didn't stop. So next logical thing was turn the heater off, so there sound stopped.

This is where it gets weird, when I turned it back on it still had that cd skipping sound but now also a very very loud popping sound, like something plastic closing flapping over and over. So I immediately turned it off figured I'd have to bring it to the dealer, this was Saturday.

I was thinking about it Sunday morning and was thinking that it was probably coming from the blower motor since it happened immediately after turning the ac and it must have been spinning up, so I chalked it up to being a bad motor, which was nuts to me on a 2012 car, albeit with 52k miles. So I downloaded the helms repair manual to figure out exactly where the blower motor was and how to get to it.

Well... If you've never removed the glove box in our cars yet, their is 2 star bit screws on the very bottom all the way towards the front of the car, behind that bar that supports the dash... Very hard to get to and especially to find if you don't know where they are. After about an hour to find those screws I was finally able to get the glove box out and could a protective cage over a white door, so had my wife turn the car on and this door opened, so I figured this was the door that controls the air going in from the car. So I had her turn the ac on and the sound was even louder and I thought I could see something in there...

After a few more minutes of trying to get my arm to bend weird and hand go through the small holes that work as a cover to the blower motor... And a few cuts later... I pulled out a 1/4 sheet piece of sander paper in 2000 grit that was some how inside the blower motor housing and was hitting the fins as it was spinning around.

I have no idea how this got there and was totally flabbergasted when I found it, but I sure am glad I did not have to pay the dealership to fix something that wasn't really broken! I saved the piece of sandpaper because of how crazy it was then I thought I'd share it here. Let me know what you ideas on how it could of gotten there is, I'm thinking somehow It got there during production and was dislodged when pulling into the steep parking garage... Maybe. Either way it's totally bizarre.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
rexazz2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 121761
What I Drive: 2014 HB SE

FF Reputation: 1 rexazz2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
could have gone in threw the cabin air filter box
possibly went in with replacement of filter , on bench stuck to bottom of filter
shouldn't be able to get past said filter so couldn't sucked in

any final finish work at the factory all that should already be closed up by that time

BTW
I had a gum wrapper come up to a vent on my Civic
Wife swears she never put it in a vent so no idea how it ever got there
Civic runs cabin filter as well
Old 11-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
Romans5.8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119488
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 4 Romans5.8 Good Standing Member
Perhaps some component in the dash uses sandpaper in production and it got trapped in there? Certainly is wild!

After painting, the car bodies are inspected and if flaws are found, they are sanded off and the car sent back through the paint booth. But; I can't imagine how a piece of THAT sand paper could make it in there. Painting is done on just the raw body, everything else is installed later! Including the nearly complete dashboard! The dashboard comes to the assembly plant nearly all together. I would assume, if it happened in production, that it happened at whatever vendor built the dash.
2011 Honda Shadow Aero, Candy Red (Wife's Bike)
Old 11-12-2013, 02:54 AM   #4
Matthew91188
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116774
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White FoFo SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Matthew91188 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I replaced the air filter myself about 10k miles ago. Good ideas though.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
gf'scar
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118868
What I Drive: 2008 Galaxy Grey Metallic Civic SI

FF Reputation: 1 gf'scar Good Standing Member
I have been having issues with my blower and have been unable to even find it. Are you saying that it is behind the actuator that selects between recirculated and fresh air?
Old 11-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
Btravelen
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106375
What I Drive: 2013 Titanium 5 dr. Tuxedo Black

FF Reputation: 1 Btravelen Good Standing Member
Hey, you got free sandpaper with yours.. :-)

Bookmarks & Social Networks