FC Throttle Body and Steeda Short Ram Intake review - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-26-2004, 10:43 PM   #1
Toolman00
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2744
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4x4

FF Reputation: 3 Toolman00 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
FC Throttle Body and Steeda Short Ram Intake review

Well, I purchased both mods used and spent $250 total. Both were in excellent condition, and had all the parts.

FC Throttle Body - Easy to install (didn't have the instructions). Improved the throttle response quite a bit. Can't say it added any power, but the response alone was worth it.

Steeda Short Ram Intake - Relatively easy to install. I had to switch the silicone connectors around. The tapered one wouldn't fit on the now larger throttle body, and the straight one was tough to get on the throttle body. I broke the coil cover (guess plastic doesn't like 10 degree weather and you have to yank huh?) and cut a hose a little short (luckily I had hose clamps around!, gonna get a new hose and trim it correctly). I don't know why, but my car doesn't bog anymore. I can shift at 1750 and it doesn't bog/shudder whatsoever (it's still a slug though). I mostly got the intake because of the reusable filter, but the power is nice (not much, but it's quicker). I'm gonna see what I can do and make my own heat shield/box and use the SVT ram air snorkel.

I recommend both mods!

I think I'm gonna cool it with the performance mods and get a STS and engine mounts... and work on my stereo again (clean up the wiring, want to do components, and need to make a Focus friendly box for sub).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2004, 01:34 AM   #2
dudley123
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9564
What I Drive: 2002 Infra-Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 dudley123 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Glad you like the mods. I couldnt justify 235 bucks for a TB for no HP gains. So I will save that till one of my last things, before blower.
SVT Squad #76
2002 Infra-Red SVT
Performance:
HKS Hi-Power Exhaust, FC ORP, Steeda STS, HIA Intake, Prothane Tranny Mount Inserts, Hypnotic tune,
QTP Cutout, NX Wet Kit(soon to be Direct Port), SVT Head .030 Milled, Ferrea Stainless Valves, Cometics HeadGasket, Port Matched, Intake/Exhaust Ports, ARP Head Studs, MUCH MUCH MORE, Done PM if interested.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:39 AM   #3
denzillion
Focus Addict

Fan#: 3955
FF Reputation: 1 denzillion Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by dudley123
Glad you like the mods. I couldnt justify 235 bucks for a TB for no HP gains. So I will save that till one of my last things, before blower.
I'm glad you like the mod.
Unfortunately I stand next to dudley123 on the HP gains issue. I'm going to get SCT tomorrow which will add noticable hp and torque and will solve many of the svt well known problems such as surging and etc.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:50 PM   #4
dudley123
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9564
What I Drive: 2002 Infra-Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 dudley123 Good Standing Member
Yup, lol. I am ordering my SCT.
SVT Squad #76
2002 Infra-Red SVT
Performance:
HKS Hi-Power Exhaust, FC ORP, Steeda STS, HIA Intake, Prothane Tranny Mount Inserts, Hypnotic tune,
QTP Cutout, NX Wet Kit(soon to be Direct Port), SVT Head .030 Milled, Ferrea Stainless Valves, Cometics HeadGasket, Port Matched, Intake/Exhaust Ports, ARP Head Studs, MUCH MUCH MORE, Done PM if interested.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:30 PM   #5
Noble Steed
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 16942
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT Focus & 1994 SVT Mustang Cobra

FF Reputation: 1 Noble Steed Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hey Toolman, I was just wondering if your Throttle Body was a 65mm?
-Tim-
Old 12-28-2004, 05:51 PM   #6
Toolman00
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2744
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4x4

FF Reputation: 3 Toolman00 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Yeah, it's the 65mm Focus Central Throttle body.

My next performance mod is going to be having someone put on my cam gear, then I'm gonna see about a tuner. I know about the problems with the SVT, but I don't think they are THAT serious. I rarely have any surging and it doesn't bog anymore, so the only other thing the tuner would help with is more power. It would be nice to have the power, but I'm content with how quick it is right now and want to focus on mods that will make the overall drive better.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:19 AM   #7
Enkidu
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15607
FF Reputation: 1 Enkidu Good Standing Member
Toolman...

I have been looking at this throttle body for a while now and want one myself..... Are you telling me there is no performance gain from this mod at all? It states 2-4WHP on the web site..... Is this a con?

What does the throttle feel like with the new body??? How much different is it?
Old 01-06-2005, 12:19 PM   #8
SVT03
Banned

Fan#: 3742
What I Drive: '05 COBALT SS

FF Reputation: 1 SVT03 Good Standing Member
I noticed gains in the top end with my mine with same mods as you. Hmmmm. Strange you didn't notice the top end improvement. And FF dyno results showed abouta 4-5hp gain with FC TB by the way.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:21 PM   #9
SVT03
Banned

Fan#: 3742
What I Drive: '05 COBALT SS

FF Reputation: 1 SVT03 Good Standing Member
enkidu...It's way larger diameter than the stock. TB. I did notice that mine bogs more in 1st though, but gets way better in high rpm's. I had the complete oppsite affect on mine as toolman has on his.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:22 PM   #10
fokuzx3
teh tranny killer

Fan#: 15685
What I Drive: r.i.p. liquid grey zx3....now 300zx

FF Reputation: 1 fokuzx3 Good Standing Member
you should be happy with the tb...when i just had my tb udp homemade intake and shortshifter i was running a 16.2...3 10ths is not mad for stock exhaust
zetec crew #23
zetec R.I.P. best standing 1/4 time= 15.260 @88.08 mph (2.275 60)
Quote:
Originally Posted by warneej View Post
it takes a minute to get used to, kinda like shaving your balls.. haha

Bookmarks & Social Networks