How to impove MPG? Can the DCT be an ironic cause? - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #11
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My DCT has not always behaved well. I have had clutches and seals replaced. The car has and still does the shuddering, grinding, etc.

Having said all of that, MPG has held pretty constant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #12
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
It's very possible that your location has switched to winter blend fuel already. Many parts of the country are already having below-freezing overnight low temps in the forecast. That could explain your drop!

Also, the transmission wasn't 'designed' to improve MPG. It was probably more like a happy accident. Engineers have always known that a clutch transfers more power more efficiently than a torque converter, thus a clutch is better. But, Americans in particular don't like to drive manual transmissions. So, for a while now, there have been 'automated manuals' (which is what the DCT is). Ford is incorporating it because, in theory, it's the best of both worlds. Doesn't require the driver to have to do anything, but still uses a clutch to transfer power. Since it's a nice 6 speed box, they've managed to actually squeeze a 1mpg EPA estimated increase; but I think the goal was probably to have similar performance to the manual, to differentiate them from the competition. (Ever see their or/and commercials? Unlike the other cars, you can get an automatic, but get manual transmission gas mileage!).

It's not a money saver though. It's just less of a money-waster. With a 1mpg increase, and the average of 12,000 miles per year for most Americans (and folks in the city like it sounds like you are? Are averaging about half that; which sounds like you are!), that's a savings of about 7 or 8 gallons. Let's assume $4 a gallon just to make it easy, and you'll have to drive a flawlessly operating DCT car getting EPA gas mileage 100% of the time and not a drop less for 62.5 years to break even over the manual. In other words, you still spend less money at the end of the day with the manual (Which is thousands cheaper). HOWEVER, spending a couple grand to get an automatic if that's something you want (And why not? I spent more to get an SE, sport package, etc. that I wanted.. it can't ALL be about money), and not getting a hit in MPG? Well that's a pretty good deal!

Thanks for the info!

I recall people saying the DCT needed a more powerful engine though, in another post that's likely long-buried by now.

And, to me, efficient use of gas counts. I don't like being wasteful of something that - by nature - is finite, and I certainly don't care for SUVs. And there's usually an issue when one sees MPG going down. It can be due to external influences that require driving conditions to be changed (e.g. road construction, more rush hour annoyances, etc), or it could be due to an issue requiring engine or related maintenance (tire air pressure, dirty filter or sensor, erratic behavior from a component - such as the RPM indicator going up for no reason for a while and expending far more fuel than necessary... though while I know others have had that problem, mine hasn't acted up enough times to warrant it as a major cause to my lowered MPG.)

I did start seeing possible issues in July... but with winter blend approaching, I suspect to see things drop. Which is understandable, but I miss seeing "399" after filling up for "miles remaining", or that value going from 380 down to 340 when I start the car on a new journey, only to see 340 slowly rise up when doing more highway driving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
It's curious that you focus on the DCT as the possible (likely?) culprit.

Do you have any theories as to how the DCT might be the cause?
Have the shift points changed noticeably?
Sometimes the RPM will go above and beyond. Like when I'm at cruise control doing 68MPH and all of a sudden the thing revs up and uses 4000RPM, when it should be hovering at 2500. Not often, but enough to drive me nuts.

Early on, my transmission would make a blender noise going between gears 1 and 2, 2 and 3, and once in a while between 3 and 4. This is normal.

I was told to drive it like a manual by mechanics, even though the salesmen always told people to drive it like an automatic.

And I can feel the transmission stutter when accelerating from 0, the car had been awesome since getting 12B37 about ~18 months ago, but now it's stuttering again and I do apply the gas pedal as I have, consistently and per the mechanics' statements.

Something has changed.

I just remembered something big: And the Anticipation indicator with the 5 petals - I used to have 5 stars and a cute award icon on it. These days it only gets above 0 petals if I'm on the highway. Otherwise it's at 0 petals. That too indicates there is a problem somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordService View Post
Hi unfocused1 & liquidblue88,

Let me know when you have your vehicles checked out by your dealers and I'll look into possible avenues of assistance.

Todd
Thanks!

My tires' pressures are normal, so that's ruled out.

Right now I'm going to wait until the next oil change and ask at that point. The difference is seemingly small and I will write down areas I drive in, especially if there is road construction or traffic jams. I rarely get those, though, and keeping city driving to a bare minimum hasn't yielded positive results. Actually, if I did do more short trips I'd expect to see my MPG drop down another 1 or 2. But the number isn't that major yet. But it is something for me to keep an eye on, just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krizayjm View Post
What's the avg temp been? I find that when the temp drops below 55-60degrees my avg fuel goes from about 39mpg to 35mpg throughout the whole tank. Plus winter blend fuel will hurt mpg too

In July it was upper-90s and HUMID. When temps got back down to 80s and not humid, the same lower MPG was still present. So I had to rule out oppressive temps as a cause. Temps continued to go down as the season shifted, but MPG remained roughly the same. Once winter blend is put in, I know it will drop accordingly, but for a car I've grown accustomed to and patterned, it is mildly disconcerting that 26 in winter and 30 in summer is now (likely 24) in winter and 28 in summer.

I seem to get dinged more on city traffic, which makes sense... except I haven't done nearly as many small trips over the last 5 months as I had. As such, I shouldn't be seeing 28 and low-29 after a fillup. With limited city or short trips, and did mostly highway driving, I pretty much got 30.5-33. Seeing 26-28 now doesn't feel right. Not for summer blend.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #13
BeepBeep2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119597
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SEL Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 BeepBeep2 Good Standing Member
Winter blend isn't "approaching", it has probably been around since mid-September.
IMO you are just seeing the effects of the winter blend. I've had a decrease in 3-4 MPG as well.

Another issue could be carbon build up in intake valves, which is common and not easily remedied on GDI engines...some suggest giving the car several minutes to warm up and performing and "italian tune-up" by running high sustained RPMs to burn off deposits.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #14
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused1 View Post
I just remembered something big: And the Anticipation indicator with the 5 petals - I used to have 5 stars and a cute award icon on it. These days it only gets above 0 petals if I'm on the highway. Otherwise it's at 0 petals. That too indicates there is a problem somewhere.
I think that's a sign that there's definitely something wrong. I don't personally know what goes into calculating those pedals, but that seems like a good place for Ford to start looking.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #15
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
I do believe the petals indicate what you the driver are doing and not what the car is doing. They are connected, of course, but how you drive can make a 2X difference or even more in mpg. There's a stretch of city driving that I can get 40mpg on if there light and traffic are favorable but if the light and traffic are not favorable it can be closer to 20mpg -- on the same stretch of road.

There are of course many other variables as has been mentioned that combined can probably result in about 50% change in mpg, but nothing is as important as the driver. I said before the driver can easily affect a 2X difference in mpg, but if you compared a hotshoe 17 year old to someone competing as a hypermiler the difference could well be 4X.

Brian
Old 11-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #16
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 10 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Your new pair of shoes are heavier than your old ones.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #17
NickCornell
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 97233
What I Drive: 2012 Race red Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 12 NickCornell Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused1 View Post
Howdy. Since June or July, I've noticed a drop in MPG despite doing less city driving (down to 28 on average, instead of the 30~31 I had gotten used to).

I've about 10,500 miles and the car will be 2 years old in February. (the car developed "the noise" at 500 miles, between gears 1 and 2 on the transmission.)

It's possible that stop and go traffic from all the construction and other dingdongs that don't know how to plan but set up miles of nothing hasn't helped matters, and with gas stations converting to winter blend gasoline in the near future I should expect another drop. But it's been a few months, with only 2 times when MPG was above 30.0...

Has anybody else experienced reduced MPG over time, especially if the DCT transmission is a factor in long-term performance problems? Which is sad, given the DCT was designed to improve MPG...

Thanks!
Have you....
Changed your oil
Changed or checked your air filter
Checked tire pressure ?
Old 11-13-2013, 07:58 AM   #18
bikerlbf406
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103697
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 bikerlbf406 Good Standing Member
I have right about 7K miles on my 2013 and I avg about 28-29 mpg and thats with 60-75% city driving overall since I bought it. I avg. about 27-28 city/31-33 highway. I too have the DCT transmission, however haven't had any problems out of my transmission, no weird noises or anything else. I could probably increase my MPG if tried to achieve the best mileage, plus there is quite a bit of weight in my car (I weigh 330 lbs) and carry a good 100 pounds in the trunk and a lot of times have at least one passenger in the car as well.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:09 AM   #19
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
It's curious that you focus on the DCT as the possible (likely?) culprit.

Do you have any theories as to how the DCT might be the cause?
Have the shift points changed noticeably?
Excessive slipping? Sometimes my DCT feels like a CVT - can only be clutch slippage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post
My DCT has not always behaved well. I have had clutches and seals replaced. The car has and still does the shuddering, grinding, etc.

Having said all of that, MPG has held pretty constant.
Me too. Though my shuddering and griding can be solved by the 5-full-throttle-acceleration method. Returns again maybe 9 months later but can be solved every time.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #20
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Me too. Though my shuddering and griding can be solved by the 5-full-throttle-acceleration method. Returns again maybe 9 months later but can be solved every time.
You are fortunate then and hopefully the OP will be as well. I suspect mine will be solved via the trade the car in method.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->