OEM wheels on MK3 Sedan - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #31
CunFFS13
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 117411
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Ford Focus S MT

FF Reputation: 6 CunFFS13 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
@papaacer
You are the man!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2013, 10:29 PM   #32
Juicedz
Focus Addict

Fan#: 108814
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE, 5sp

FF Reputation: 3 Juicedz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by papaacer View Post
Ive explained it to you bro. I'll tell you what, next week, im gonna put my steelies back on so i can have my wheels powder coated. Im gonna have to take off the tpms. Ill take pics and do a write up. Sound good?
I just picked up some 17" oem without tpms, so I'll be swapping mine over in the near future. Definitely would appreciate some pics of the tool and process.
Hatch Nation#24 168whp 153wtq
Old 11-14-2013, 11:18 PM   #33
papaacer
Sonic's MK3 Crew #25

Fan#: 111083
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 9 papaacer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Sounds good, its a tool you can pick up at a cars parts store. Also not too hard of a process but i will show you for sure
That's because if a sedan was used there would be too much awesomeness and the internet would explode.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #34
CunFFS13
Focus Fanatic

Question Urgent Q's wheels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunFFS13 View Post
Option #2 OEM 16'
Q's Q's Q's!
So after I haven't had any wheel option down here.... Now I do have 2 wheels options!
The 16' OEM (picture) from a 2013 SE with 5,000KM in mint condition!
And
A 18' ST OEM from a Focus ST 2009 with 98,000KM, the wheels look like they need a paint job and some other job 'cause 2 wheels can't be balanced ('cause a road hole)

Both wheels cost the same ($300 ish USD)
No tires for the 16'
Tires for the 18' but need to be replaced ASAP

Help! Please!
What wheels should I buy and why? P&C
TY for all your help!
Old 11-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #35
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Q's Q's Q's!
So after I haven't had any wheel option down here.... Now I do have 2 wheels options!
The 16' OEM (picture) from a 2013 SE with 5,000KM in mint condition!
And
A 18' ST OEM from a Focus ST 2009 with 98,000KM, the wheels look like they need a paint job and some other job 'cause 2 wheels can't be balanced ('cause a road hole)

Both wheels cost the same ($300 ish USD)
No tires for the 16'
Tires for the 18' but need to be replaced ASAP

Help! Please!
What wheels should I buy and why? P&C
TY for all your help!
Since you're in Mexico and have concerns about the ground clearance you will prefer the ride with the 16" wheels, and you can re use the tires you already have if you wanted to, the 18" wheels will have a lot less rubber and air than the 16" wheels will.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #36
CunFFS13
Focus Fanatic

@suss6052
TY for the advice!
Old 11-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #37
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

FF Reputation: 10 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
The difference is in the details...

Quote:
... Anyway I think both wheels are the same, just some paint added. ...
Option #1 OEM 16' so I'm keeping my tires .............. Option #2 OEM 16'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennut View Post
They are both the same wheel, just paint on one (they are officially called "Painted pockets" by Ford). ...
Not exactly. Look closely where the inner ends of the spokes meet the centers. On the silver ones they just blend in. On the gray/machined ones there is a raised shoulder around the U-shape where the slots that go through the middle of the spokes end at the center. The area around the center cap is flatter on the gray wheels, but sticks out on the silver ones, which are also painted all over without the machined surfaces the gray ones have. It's easier to see in these photos:

Photos Copyright World Motor Media, all rights reserved.
Photos reprinted from gtcarlot.com with permission from World Motor Media.

The casting for the silver wheels looks more integrated to me than the more separate-looking spokes with the shoulders. I also think the gray ones would look better if the color was darker, like it looks in your "Option #1" photo. In person it looks too light for my taste, but I could still live with them if I get an Ingot Silver '14 SE with the Sport Package that includes them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennut View Post
I like the un-painted ones on my Sterling grey Focus. Depends on your preference. I think the un-painted ones tend to look slightly larger in diameter than the painted ones. I wanted the 17" black wheels but I think then I would've had to put the black headlights and driving light covers on. Just my opinion of course but I think the silver headlights match the silver wheels.
Aside from the "unpainted" ones actually being painted silver (I know what you really meant ;) I agree with all of that. (Nice photos of your car, btw.) The black/machined 17" wheels are my favorite, too, especially on an SGM car, but they're a bit expensive. The smoked silver (or stainless steel look) 17" wheels from the 2013 and later SE Appearance Package also look nice, but the older I get the more I value a quiet, comfortable ride over the improved handling of the lower profile tires. Not to mention the added cost of replacing the more expensive 17" tires when they wear out.

One thing I like better about the style of the 16" alloys is that the lug bolts go through webbing between the spokes, rather than through the middle of the spokes themselves, like they do on the 17" alloys. (The 16"s are more like the American Racing Equipment "Torq-Thrust" alloy wheels seen here that I craved from when I first saw them on dragsters in the early '60s. I believe the design of the Focus 16" alloys was influenced by them, and they still look good to me 50 years later.)

The only thing I see going against the silver 16" alloys is that they have become so common now that they're standard equipment on the base SE from 2013 on. That doesn't make them look any less attractive to me, but then I rarely see any Focuses around where I live. (On a two mile walk I can see more Priuses than I can count and at least 3-4 Teslas drive by, and the only Focus in my immediate neigborhood is an electric. )

Quote:
... if PENNUT said they're the same, painted and unpainted, can I get the silver ones and get them painted like the bi-color wheels in the photo? ...
You could paint the silver wheels a darker color, but trying to match the machined surfaces would probably look fake because of the differences in the shape of the castings. Just painting the whole silver wheel one color would be easier and more real looking. I think they would look good in the smoked silver/stainless finish of the 17" SE Appearance Package alloys. What I'd really like to see would be a textured finish that looks like unfinished cast magnesium or aluminum, but it probably wouldn't be easy to do or to keep clean. Not sure it would be worth the effort just to have something noone else does.

Photos Copyright World Motor Media, all rights reserved.
Photos reprinted from gtcarlot.com with permission from World Motor Media.

It would be much simpler just to get a set of either wheels and not fuss with painting them.

Photo Copyright World Motor Media, all rights reserved.
Photo reprinted from gtcarlot.com with permission from World Motor Media.

Photo Copyright World Motor Media, all rights reserved.
Photo reprinted from gtcarlot.com with permission from World Motor Media.

The gray/machined wheels look better to me on a white or silver sedan, but on your Sterling Gray car I'd vote for the silver ones. (Don't take my vote too seriously, though, 'cause I'm still having trouble deciding for myself and might vote differently tomorrow.)

Last edited by Arco-Zakus; 05-02-2014 at 05:32 PM. Reason: fix link
Old 11-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #38
CunFFS13
Focus Fanatic

@arco-zakus
I really appreciate your time to write such a nice and knowledge post about my Q's!
Truly grateful!
Old 11-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #39
CunFFS13
Focus Fanatic

Here you have the real wheels I'm trying to decide between

Old 11-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #40
CunFFS13
Focus Fanatic