Stock HU upgrade speakers???? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-19-2003, 05:00 PM   #1
Focusedat50
It's been fun.......

Fan#: 1409
What I Drive: Boosted ZX5 ATX - 179WHP/158TQ

FF Reputation: 2 Focusedat50 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (30)
Stock HU upgrade speakers????

Ok, let me first say that I realize the stock head unit may not be the premier unit for
music reproduction.......I have the singleCD/MP3 Blauplunk (spelling??).

In as much as I do like music I am not such a fanatic that the stock head unit is not
ok with me. I am one of those who's buget is 75% performance, 20% show and 5%
sound system.

My question, I was given some new 6x8 Pioneer 3-way speakers. Is it worth the time
and trouble to install them? Will they really make much of a difference in sound?

The speakers look pretty nice, not the cheap old paper cones, etc.

Also, does anyone know the specs on the radio? Can't seem to find my owners manual.....
output, watts, etc. I know it's not much but does it take a certain amount to drive
an upgraded speaker? I'm really not much into this speaker, watt power thing
so any help is appreciated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2003, 05:26 PM   #2
bluebisz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48
What I Drive: 04 Pitch Black SVT with Euro packag

FF Reputation: 1 bluebisz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Definitely do it. 6x8s will fit nicely, and Pio makes some good quality speakers. I had the same HU and I really liked it - I was thinking about keeping it at the beggining, but for me music is the most important thing in my car so it got replaced

The stock HU puts out about 4 x 22 Watts RMS if I remember correctly, so it should be sufficient for the speakers. As for the brand, it's spelled Blaupunkt
Old 11-19-2003, 05:43 PM   #3
Focusedat50
It's been fun.......

Fan#: 1409
What I Drive: Boosted ZX5 ATX - 179WHP/158TQ

FF Reputation: 2 Focusedat50 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (30)
You could really tell a difference just by upgrading the speakers?
Old 11-19-2003, 06:59 PM   #4
bluebisz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48
What I Drive: 04 Pitch Black SVT with Euro packag

FF Reputation: 1 bluebisz Good Standing Member
Definitely. Usually people start with the HU then replace the speakers, but many have kept their stock HU and replaced the speakers as they prefer the clean factory look.

So I would say go ahead, you will really like the improvement
Old 11-19-2003, 07:06 PM   #5
RPIJG
Mr. Wizard

Fan#: 18
What I Drive: '02 Focus SE 4DR Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 RPIJG Good Standing Member
I notice a major improvement, course all the speakers have been changed, front to components rear to nice 6x8's and the 5-channel powering them all plus the sub, but I still notice the improvement
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2003, 12:07 AM   #6
sa_pyro_ne
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1437
What I Drive: 2000 Ranger V6 4.0L 4x4 XLT Ext Cab

FF Reputation: 4 sa_pyro_ne Good Standing Member
If you upgrade stock speakers without an amp, generally you won't get any improvment in bass or mids but the highs will be much much clearer. It's definetly worth installing. You'll need to make an adapter plate out of wood for them though. Not only so they fit in the 6x8 hole but so they don't have any depth problems with the window behind it. I'd suggest some wood that doesn't resonate and create annoying noises that will come out sounding like distortion. MDF is best for this but you most likely don't have some of that lying around and don't want to buy an 8 foot sheet of it just to use a couple square feet. I'm sure you'll be able to find sometihng that will work. Good luck.

- Scott
Old 11-20-2003, 03:18 AM   #7
Oompa
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 1716
What I Drive: 2000 Focus ZX3, 2001 Focus "ZX-8", 1999 BMW Dinan 328i

FF Reputation: 1 Oompa Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by sa_pyro_ne
If you upgrade stock speakers without an amp, generally you won't get any improvment in bass or mids but the highs will be much much clearer. It's definetly worth installing. You'll need to make an adapter plate out of wood for them though. Not only so they fit in the 6x8 hole but so they don't have any depth problems with the window behind it. I'd suggest some wood that doesn't resonate and create annoying noises that will come out sounding like distortion. MDF is best for this but you most likely don't have some of that lying around and don't want to buy an 8 foot sheet of it just to use a couple square feet. I'm sure you'll be able to find sometihng that will work. Good luck.

- Scott
If you are putting 6x8 speakers in you should not need to make adaptor plates unless the speakers are really deep. The Pioneer 6x8's that I have dealt with in the past have dropped right into the factory spots with no problem. The factory headunit puts out an ok amount of power and 6x8 speakers are fairly efficient. You should notice an overall improvement in sound, not only in the high range but the rest as well. Bass is not going to improve much but the Pioneers wont distort as easily so you percieve an increase in bass and mid.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:48 PM   #8
sa_pyro_ne
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1437
What I Drive: 2000 Ranger V6 4.0L 4x4 XLT Ext Cab

FF Reputation: 4 sa_pyro_ne Good Standing Member
Sorry, my bad. I read wrong, I thought he said 6x9's.

- Scott

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.