Looking for new car, considering Focus ST - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Purchasing Center (Ask A Ford Salesperson)

Ford Focus Purchasing Center (Ask A Ford Salesperson) Discuss about special incentives and ordering information on the Focus & Focus ST.
Sponsored By: Phil Long Ford - Colorado's #1 Ford Dealer

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #11
Dgc333
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85422
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsu0 View Post
Focus ST
Cruze
Mazda 3
Subaru WRX
Subaru BRZ
Dodge Dart
That list of cars covers the spectrum of vehicles that fit into the general category of a compact.

The ST and WRX are performance cars with a lot of power and handling capability. The 3, Cruize and Dart (and non ST Focus) are more basic transportation vehicles which have no where near the performance capabilities. The BRZ and the Toyota twin are two seat sports cars.

You need to decide on what your needs are an look at those cars.

FYI, the ST comes with high performance summer tires. If you live where it gets cold and or snows you need to include the purchase of a set of winter tires. Plan on $1000 for a set in the stock size.

Some folks have dissed the Dart. Every test I have see has given it very high marks, it even got a Wards 10 best gor interior design. The Dart DCT tranny has been much more trouble free than the Focus DCT. I would recommend that you don't listen to them and test one and make your own decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #12
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 47 felixthecat Great Standing Member
I'd pass on the Dart,Cruze for sure. 2 seater BRZ if it works for you. WRX= yea, I like that, but I'd for sure test drive both ST's & not just around the block. Go for at least a 10+ mile drive everwhere you can think of.
Interduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 11-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #13
replica81
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88615
What I Drive: 05 ST

FF Reputation: 2 replica81 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Used 2011 Mustang GT.

The non-ST Focuses seem like a great deal to me. An SE can be talked down to about $16,5 at a dealer. ST's in base form are about $23/24k. That's a huge price difference.
SR #272
Beer and Metal.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:59 AM   #14
roswelltop
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83279
What I Drive: 2013 SGM SE HATCH, 5 Spd Man

FF Reputation: 1 roswelltop Good Standing Member
Forget the bow-tie car and the Dodge Dart. In addition to driving each of the cars you mentioned, start searching Car & Driver, and Motor Trend magazines. Each of these magazines has done "road tests", "first drives", and / or "comparison test drives" and provide much information that is useful in making your decision.

Because the cars on your list have either arrived on the market in the past couple of model years, or evolved through one or more iterations, you will find tons of info. As you research the cars, the evaluations in these or similar resources will either confirm your own driving experiences, or in some cases contradict your impressions, and many times will raise issues you might not have considered.

I also like "Edmunds.com", as it provides a lot of info in one place for most every year, make and model of every manufacturer as to stats and details and some localized pricing info.

Good luck in your research. This will probably be one of the most fun research projects and field testing that you will ever do.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:44 AM   #15
roswelltop
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83279
What I Drive: 2013 SGM SE HATCH, 5 Spd Man

FF Reputation: 1 roswelltop Good Standing Member
P.S. The front cover of the December issue "Car and Driver":
MAZDA 3 vs FOCUS.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:44 AM   #16
jwill2489
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78236
What I Drive: 2003 SVT JRSC w/BBK

FF Reputation: 4 jwill2489 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsu0 View Post
I'm definitely going to test drive all those. Maybe not the GTI only because I'm not a fan of VW. I've had a job for 3 years and its stable for sure. I work full time (engineering) and go to school part time so i know i have the income for it. I'm expecting a pay boost once i actually have the degree.

The SS isn't worth that much unfortunately. It's a rare car but there's no real market for resale that I know of.

My current list of cars to test drive:

Focus ST
Cruze
Mazda 3
Subaru WRX
Subaru BRZ
Dodge Dart

What are the major differences between the Fiesta and Focus? I really wanted a Fiesta when they were first launched but that envy faded a bit.
Out of your list.

WRX
Speed3
ST Focus or Fiesta.

Brz is highly underpowered. But handles well, and that's about it.

Skip the cruze.

If GTI, wait till MK7 is out as it gets a power bump.

ST will be maxed out at around 270 HP and 330 tq with full bolt ons to the wheels. You will want a turbo swap.

If they can get Fiesta ST to 200+ whp , it will be a fun car.

My svt makes 210 wheel, and its a blast, if i could afford , I would have gotten Fiesta ST instead of boosting my svt.

WRX is awesome, has awd but interior feels cheap to me. Responds well to mods, and that boxer rumble is to die for.

Good luck
Old 11-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #17
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 47 felixthecat Great Standing Member
The Fiesta st is real close to 200hp. Add a tune & intake to start. I'd like to see a torsen & a bbk for it.
Interduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 11-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #18
BGK
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 16598
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 1 BGK Good Standing Member
As a Ford salesperson and Focus SVT owner I can honestly say the Focus ST is worth it. It isn't perfect, but it's only true competitor is the VW GTI. As a former VW salesperson, I can't truly recommend the VW because reliability and cost of maintenance is just not acceptable. My 2002 SVT Focus is still running it's original brakes and clutch. It's solid and considering the time it was built, quality is decent. My biggest expense to date is tires.

The improvements in performance, features, fit, finish, quality of materials and even fuel economy make the ST a major step up from my SVT. Other than a lack of a two door model in the US and no factory rear parking beepers and no rear camera on the ST (it must be coming next year!) it's hard to fault the ST. I do wish Ford could have kept the more upright driving position from my SVT, but crash standards and aerodynamics for fuel economy come first now.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #19
NissanAJ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49941
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black 2.3L ZX3

FF Reputation: 3 NissanAJ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Thumbs up

Focus ST: All around my top pick. You get performance, handling, cabin room, technology and folding seats to hold cargo. I have had the Focus ST on a small time attack course and the car gave me a lot of confidence to keep pushing it.

Fiesta ST: Driven it in around Vegas and its a nice ride. Very small feeling inside the cabin. I own a 04 Focus ZX3 and I feel my car is really roomy compared to the Fiesta. Power is fun to get around in. I had the Fiesta ST on the same track and it was fun, but maybe due to its size it felt more stiff around the corners and the back end would not roll around the corners like the Focus ST did.

Cruze: It is a great riding, everyday driver car. Driven it around before and it was smooth over the crappy roads of Los Angeles. Power is ok but it is a regular 4 cylinder engine. If you were interested in this one you might want to look at the RS model since it has nice wheels. So this one is a great daily driver without any engine power options that I am aware of.

Mazda 3: Have not driven it but have been inside of them and I would rather take the Focus since the interior and exterior look a lot better in a Focus.

Subaru WRX: Out of all your options this one will smoke all the other cars on your list, but new these cars are expensive. Interior is boring on these cars but the outside isn't bad. I have only driven an 04 but it was in traffic so I do not know how they feel under acceleration.

Subaru BRZ: I have driven the F-RS, which is pretty similar. Power is low with a regular 4 cylinder engine but the handling is where this car is made to shine. The downside is that if this car is your DD you will have to deal with that you can really only seat one other person in the car. The backseats are just places to hold your backpack or paperwork. Also your cargo space is very limited. As far as future options for this car, well every 4th booth I walked by at the SEMA show had a FR-S / BRZ as their show car, so the aftermarket choices are up to your wallet.

Dodge Dart: It has awesome tail lights..... That is all.

My two would be the Focus ST and the BRZ. But the Focus would take it for me out of the options you put out there. The Focus can grow with most of life's future possibilities. (Kids, wife, nights out with more than one friend, large shopping trips)

Good luck and congrats on having the option to put a new car in your driveway!!!

Old 11-30-2013, 07:19 AM   #20
besfocusowner
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 83789
What I Drive: 2014 SGM Focus SE w/Sport Pkg.

FF Reputation: 1 besfocusowner Good Standing Member
Nix on the Cruze

I've driven a number of Cruze's and they are not a match for the Focus!
2013 Lime Squeeze Fiesta SE Sport Hatch
2011 Blue Flame Fiesta SE Sport Hatch (son)

Bookmarks & Social Networks