Looking for new car, considering Focus ST - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Purchasing Center (Ask A Ford Salesperson)

Ford Focus Purchasing Center (Ask A Ford Salesperson) Discuss about special incentives and ordering information on the Focus & Focus ST.
Sponsored By: Phil Long Ford - Colorado's #1 Ford Dealer

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
tetsu0
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 120468
What I Drive: 2007 Malibu SS

FF Reputation: 1 tetsu0 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Looking for new car, considering Focus ST

Hey All!
I'll be in the market for a new car in the Spring but I'm starting to do my research now.
One of the cars I'm considering looking at is the Focus ST.
I'll be graduating in spring as well so Its going to be my gift to myself for making it through college.
I currently drive a 2007 Chevy Malibu SS. Its a good car but it's a boat and it doesn't have the agility I'm looking for. I'll be trading that in as well.

I was wondering a few things
First off, is the ST really that much sportier than a regular focus? Does anyone have them and how do they like them? I'm looking for a smaller car, sporty, decent gas mileage, decent in the snow(I'll be buying snow tires come winter) - reliable is a must because this is the first NEW car i'm going to BUY (none of this lease crap)

Secondly, What am I looking to pay for these - out the door. My max budget is 30K but of course I'd like to spend as little as possible.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
ShoOff
Focus Addict

Fan#: 109590
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 15 ShoOff Great Standing Member
one of my biggest regrets is not getting the st, thinking I didn't really need it was just bs
Old 11-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
tetsu0
Focus Rookie

May I ask what DID you get and why don't you like it?
Old 11-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
ShoOff
Focus Addict

Fan#: 109590
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 15 ShoOff Great Standing Member
I got a 2013 se performance blue hb. I was thinking it would be easy enough to catch up and pass the st as far as performance and such. Unfortunately performance parts are limited for these cars right now and it seem like I can't quite get to where the st starts out with

Sent from my HTC One using FF Mobile
Old 11-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
swansong
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83576
What I Drive: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD

FF Reputation: 10 swansong Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Best advice I can give is to just drive stuff. Go drive the Focus ST, a regular Focus, the Fiesta ST, maybe the new Mazda3, maybe a 2013 Mazdaspeed3, the GTI, etc. etc. Make a day or weekend out of it. Your max budget should allow you to own any of those cars with ease.

But, as a recent college grad myself (spring '12), I'd say make sure you've got the income to support a new car. Do you have a job accepted yet? Know where/how you're going to live? Want a house soon? Single income or significant other? Kids?

I thought for sure I'd have a new car by now, but things have popped up in life to change that. Wife and I bought a house, she got a new(er) car, she decided to go back to school, etc. Priorities change fast.

Just make sure you can make those 60+ payments. I'm guessing that since you'll be trading in the SS you'll be ok.
Gone: 2002 SVT, #1654

Hers: 2010 Focus SES: 73k, Ebony, Auto, Moon and Tune
Old 11-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
tetsu0
Focus Rookie

I'm definitely going to test drive all those. Maybe not the GTI only because I'm not a fan of VW. I've had a job for 3 years and its stable for sure. I work full time (engineering) and go to school part time so i know i have the income for it. I'm expecting a pay boost once i actually have the degree.

The SS isn't worth that much unfortunately. It's a rare car but there's no real market for resale that I know of.

My current list of cars to test drive:

Focus ST
Cruze
Mazda 3
Subaru WRX
Subaru BRZ
Dodge Dart

What are the major differences between the Fiesta and Focus? I really wanted a Fiesta when they were first launched but that envy faded a bit.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
swansong
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83576
What I Drive: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD

FF Reputation: 10 swansong Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Good to hear, I'm in engineering as well (Electrical, mainly hardware stuff).

I'd consider the Fiesta ST as well, unless it's too small for your needs. Your 'next car' list is basically the same as mine, with the addition of the 2015 Mustang.
Gone: 2002 SVT, #1654

Hers: 2010 Focus SES: 73k, Ebony, Auto, Moon and Tune
Old 11-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
tetsu0
Focus Rookie

Mustang and Camaro are on my wishlist but I'll only test drive if I'm feeling whimsical on that particular day.
I also do Electrical / electronics - good to hear!
I'll have to add the fiesta to the list - thanks for the suggestion
Old 11-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
calebstubstad
Chef Boyardee

Fan#: 103240
What I Drive: 2000 Atlantic Blue LX

FF Reputation: 4 calebstubstad Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
seeing that the brz is on your list, the fiesta ST wouldn't be too small. a new WRX STI would run you more than your budget, though it'd be a blast to drive. I'd vouch for all but the cruze, that won't have anywhere near the performance it's obvious you want. The dodge dart is also just a joke, I haven't heard much good about them yet. They'll be what the neon is now, ten years down the road. I would love the brz or frs, and a brz STI would be even better
but in planning your future, your best bet is something that the kids will fit in. That being said, my neighbor drops his kid off at daycare every morning in his BMW z3
Rally Revolution #43
[HOONIGAN]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmatician View Post
Not the bear the zoo deserves, but the bear the zoo needs.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
tetsu0
Focus Rookie

yeah I haven't heard much good about the dart. I sat in one when they first came out and I liked it but I never actually drove the thing. The cruze is on my list because my uncle works at the local chevy place and can probably get me a good deal.

You're right about the future planning stuff. I want it to be practical, yet fun to drive - which is why I started inquiring about the focus first. A guy at work has a 2001 yellow hatchback that he LOVES and he said he'd buy another one in a heartbeat. That's a good enough reason for me to take a serious look at the focus.

I keep browsing the ford site and dealer photos and I'm constantly in awe looking at both the fiesta and focus ST. I really need to schedule a test drive.

Bookmarks & Social Networks