For Those who have swapped to an ST..... - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #11
Bogey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104241
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver SE

Points 1,594, Level 22
Points: 1,594, Level: 22 Points: 1,594, Level: 22 Points: 1,594, Level: 22
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Bogey Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Everything is the same on the st, except the power train, and the suspension, and a few add one for styling like the front, side, and rear valance, and the recaro seat if you get an st2 or st3. Structurally the st and the hatch se or sel have the exact same unibody frame, and they use the hatch for the st because the rigidity of the hatch, whence why they don't offer it in the sedan. Basically do you want more power and handling? If yes, get an st.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #12
FamousMassacre
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104066
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Hatch

Points 1,671, Level 23
Points: 1,671, Level: 23 Points: 1,671, Level: 23 Points: 1,671, Level: 23
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 FamousMassacre Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo86GT View Post
Honestly after all I've read about the ST, I'd be getting 20mpg in it. I drive quite aggressively in my SE. I appreciate the fact that I can be playful 50% of the time I'm driving and still get 31 mpg over the last year and 23k miles, plus it's not exactly slow. Punch it after pulling slowly away from a light and I will get wheelspin! With the 18's and lowering springs, it handles like it's on rails.
I don't get that... I was driving in 5th gear doing 70mph on the highway and the best I got was 19mpg... granted I'm running e85, my daily driving still gets 19mpg with 93 octane. I have no idea how people get above that.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #13
CRP16
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105951
What I Drive: 2013 PB ST3

Points 177, Level 3
Points: 177, Level: 3 Points: 177, Level: 3 Points: 177, Level: 3
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 1 CRP16 Good Standing Member
I have an SE plus which the wife mainly drives and an ST3 for me. The ST blows the SE out of the water, the refinement, the power, it really feels like a totally different car. There are many small things that come together to make a much better experience in the ST, all windows are one touch up and down, my ford touch, push button start, sweet recaro seats, hid headlights, even the driver info screen is better because you can view more info. I have love for the SE but only on the highway trying to max mpgs.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #14
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,579, Level 65
Points: 9,579, Level: 65 Points: 9,579, Level: 65 Points: 9,579, Level: 65
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 31%
Activity: 31% Activity: 31% Activity: 31%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousMassacre View Post
I don't get that... I was driving in 5th gear doing 70mph on the highway and the best I got was 19mpg... granted I'm running e85, my daily driving still gets 19mpg with 93 octane. I have no idea how people get above that.
We don't ride in second gear up to 40+ mph and staying at 5000 rpm all the time, lol.

Shift early, stay in the highest gear that does not lug the engine and watch the MPG rise.

Conversely, drive like a teenager and lead foot it everywhere and watch the mileage sink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRP16 View Post
I have an SE plus which the wife mainly drives and an ST3 for me. The ST blows the SE out of the water, the refinement, the power, it really feels like a totally different car. There are many small things that come together to make a much better experience in the ST, all windows are one touch up and down, my ford touch, push button start, sweet recaro seats, hid headlights, even the driver info screen is better because you can view more info. I have love for the SE but only on the highway trying to max mpgs.
Your SE needs the software update unless it doesn't have the 4.2" LCD screen, as it would show exactly the same information as the ST.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:59 AM   #15
CRP16
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105951
What I Drive: 2013 PB ST3

Points 177, Level 3
Points: 177, Level: 3 Points: 177, Level: 3 Points: 177, Level: 3
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 1 CRP16 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Your SE needs the software update unless it doesn't have the 4.2" LCD screen, as it would show exactly the same information as the ST.
Interesting, it does have sync with the dual lcd screens. The info screen I most want is the one that shows 4 stats at once, MPG/odo/distance to empty/time car has been running. Next time the car is in for service I will ask for an update, thanks.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #16
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89368
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE & 2013 ST2

Points 3,802, Level 39
Points: 3,802, Level: 39 Points: 3,802, Level: 39 Points: 3,802, Level: 39
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 11 valmundo Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRP16 View Post
I have a Ti Hatch 5spd with the Handling and Technology package. I also participated in a recent ecoboost challenge hosted by Ford a few weeks back. Without question, the engine and powertrain on the ST are better. However, for regular commuting purposes, I was hard pressed to notice that radical of a difference to justify 'upgrading' from a Ti to an ST simply because while I do like the fact of the available power in the ST, I like the MPG results MORE when I drive the Ti. My Ti shares many of the same features available on the ST (MFT, push button start, intelligent access, automatic power up-down windows on all four window, stiffer suspension, 18" wheels) and a few that aren't (ambient lighting, all leather non recaro seats). More importantly, I couldn't justify taking a hit on depreciation with my Ti just to switch over to an ST. Some folks here who did make the switch did the smart thing by paying cash for their cars before switching or they put such a substantial deposit thereby retaining enough equity. If you are not in the same boat, I'm not sure switching will be worth it in the long run.

The ST is a fabulous car though. Had I not purchased the Ti when I did and if MPG was not such an important factor to me, I might have considered it. I know some folks here are saying they are getting up to 30 MPG with their cars, but I believe that is with highway driving. City driving, from what I understand is not as good.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #17
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89368
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE & 2013 ST2

Points 3,802, Level 39
Points: 3,802, Level: 39 Points: 3,802, Level: 39 Points: 3,802, Level: 39
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 11 valmundo Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
We don't ride in second gear up to 40+ mph and staying at 5000 rpm all the time, lol.

Shift early, stay in the highest gear that does not lug the engine and watch the MPG rise.

Conversely, drive like a teenager and lead foot it everywhere and watch the mileage sink.

The drivers side LCD is different on the Ti than on the SE (at least programming wise and even after the software update). For example, when using sync services' navigation feature, turn by turn directions appear on the drivers' LCD panel along with the touch screen. On the SE, turn-by-turn information is only displayed as a pop-up window on the passenger LCD screen.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #18
2kwik4u
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102523
What I Drive: '12-Sonic Blue-5dr/5spd/203A/Roof

FF Reputation: 1 2kwik4u Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by valmundo View Post
I have a Ti Hatch 5spd with the Handling and Technology package. I also participated in a recent ecoboost challenge hosted by Ford a few weeks back. Without question, the engine and powertrain on the ST are better. However, for regular commuting purposes, I was hard pressed to notice that radical of a difference to justify 'upgrading' from a Ti to an ST simply because while I do like the fact of the available power in the ST, I like the MPG results MORE when I drive the Ti. My Ti shares many of the same features available on the ST (MFT, push button start, intelligent access, automatic power up-down windows on all four window, stiffer suspension, 18" wheels) and a few that aren't (ambient lighting, all leather non recaro seats). More importantly, I couldn't justify taking a hit on depreciation with my Ti just to switch over to an ST. Some folks here who did make the switch did the smart thing by paying cash for their cars before switching or they put such a substantial deposit thereby retaining enough equity. If you are not in the same boat, I'm not sure switching will be worth it in the long run.

The ST is a fabulous car though. Had I not purchased the Ti when I did and if MPG was not such an important factor to me, I might have considered it. I know some folks here are saying they are getting up to 30 MPG with their cars, but I believe that is with highway driving. City driving, from what I understand is not as good.
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm leaning towards keeping the SE.

I think with a few mods I can be happy enough with it to "get me through" another couple years before upgrading to what I really want (G8 GXP, or similar luxury/sport sedan). The only concern is the front end rattle that I have, and the extra squeeky door panels. I'm guessing a suspension swap, and some DynaMat sound deadening material will help with that. Those are really my two biggest complaints with the car. The power is decent most of the time, and I'm not sure I can justify the cost of swapping at this point.

I'm still going to go test drive one here in the very near future to make sure I'm not selling myself short.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #19
Deesiel678
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105147
What I Drive: 2013 white SE hatch

Points 513, Level 10
Points: 513, Level: 10 Points: 513, Level: 10 Points: 513, Level: 10
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 3 Deesiel678 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
FWIW
I considered the switch. I like my SE, but was disappointed with the power. I planned to purchase the ST originally (ST1), but I allowed the incentive ca$h to sway my decision toward the SE.

After a while, my buyer's remorse got the best of me and I attempted trading in for the ST, but the dealer didn't offer enough on my trade to be worth it IMO... I knew I was going to take a big hit, but it was even bigger than I thought. I also looked at trading for a '13 MS3. The Mazda dealer offered a little more, but still not enough to make me feel comfortable.

I've had a few mods on my car for a little while before attempting to trade (intake, exhaust, tune, RMM), but was still not satisfied with the power. That is until Injected released version 2 of their 93 oct tune (came out after I looked into trading).

Once I updated to the new tune, man what a difference! Don't get me wrong; the tune did not transform my SE into a giant killer. It's still slower than a ST (I'd say with the tune and 2.5" cat back exhaust, it's probably capable of a low to mid 15 second pass in the quarter mile), but the way the engine delivers the power is much better (I'm sure it increased power too, but I'm not sure how much). It's much more fun to drive now. The change in power delivery was enough that I am no longer 'champing at the bit' to trade it in for a ST.

Last edited by Deesiel678; 11-13-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #20
Creative
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108024
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus

Points 3,428, Level 36
Points: 3,428, Level: 36 Points: 3,428, Level: 36 Points: 3,428, Level: 36
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 3 Creative Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I personally did not swap out to an ST, I bought Both my ST and SE at the same time with the intention of turning the ST into a AutoX vehicle. both have there advantage and disadvantage but I will say I love the SE because its a easier ride and the seats are more relaxed and I enjoy driving it daily plus I also love that 40mpg I'm getting. I loved my ST for the Reasons it was a fast turbocharged 4Cylinder and had amazing seats to hold your butt in the seat while spirited driving or AutoXing. I did not care as much with the ST for gas Millage as I do with my SE because my point to owning the ST was for Race Purpose. I would love to get another ST soon but at this point I would wait to see if the RS makes an appearance with all the hype going around.

As the old saying goes, you have to pay to play.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.