For Those who have swapped to an ST..... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
2kwik4u
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102523
What I Drive: '12-Sonic Blue-5dr/5spd/203A/Roof

FF Reputation: 1 2kwik4u Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
For Those who have swapped to an ST.....

Short Question...Was it worth it? Anything you miss from the non-ST, anything on the ST you don't like as compared to the non?

Long Story.....I've been driving my wifes A4 all weekend, as she needed the hatchback for transporting some large totes/tables to from a craft show. The A4 was my daily driver for quite some time before I started the current job, and we sold the boat (removing the need for our Yukon, so I sold for a fuel efficient Focus)......I've forgotten how much I enjoyed the power and handling of the Audi. The Focus has decent handling which I think I can remedy with some springs/sway bars, but the power will never get there.

We're trying to decide if we want to swap the Focus out for either an ST for me, or a Flex for her, and move me to either the ST, or back to the Audi. I think she wants the Flex, but there is a chance the ST will win the financial battle, as I start running the numbers to see where we stand.

Any thoughts from those of you who have switched? Keep in mind, I'm coming from a non-sport SE Hatch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 3,778, Level 38
Points: 3,778, Level: 38 Points: 3,778, Level: 38 Points: 3,778, Level: 38
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
That is a question that ideally should be asked a year or two later.
Almost everybody loves their new car.

Also, you are asking someone to rationalize what was (most likely) an irrational decision.

It seems like the only ST buyers are those that traded in their mk3 for it.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,584, Level 65
Points: 9,584, Level: 65 Points: 9,584, Level: 65 Points: 9,584, Level: 65
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
That is a question that ideally should be asked a year or two later.
Almost everybody loves their new car.

It seems like the only ST buyers are those that traded in their mk3 for it.
This is patently false, there are perhaps more MK3 owners on this specific forum which had traded their N/A for an ST, but open your eyes and look at the specific ST forums and very few people traded from a 2012+ N/A MK3 for an ST.

More people traded from older cars, many were former Subaru WRX or STi owners, some owned Golfs, and many owned or still also own Mustangs, but I've seen fewer than a dozen who have explicitly traded from one to the other. There were some who's family still had both an N/A and an ST, but usually the spouse or child drove the n/a.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Points 3,778, Level 38
Level Up 86% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
This is patently false, there are perhaps more MK3 owners on this specific forum which had traded their N/A for an ST, but open your eyes and look at the specific ST forums and very few people traded from a 2012+ N/A MK3 for an ST.

More people traded from older cars, many were former Subaru WRX or STi owners, some owned Golfs, and many owned or still also own Mustangs, but I've seen fewer than a dozen who have explicitly traded from one to the other. There were some who's family still had both an N/A and an ST, but usually the spouse or child drove the n/a.
Take a deep breath and relax...

You shouldn't take an obvious tongue in cheek comment so seriously.
In any case, my perception as to who is buying STs is clearly not so important.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #5
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,584, Level 65
Points: 9,584, Level: 65 Points: 9,584, Level: 65 Points: 9,584, Level: 65
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
Take a deep breath and relax...

You shouldn't take an obvious tongue in cheek comment so seriously.
In any case, my perception as to who is buying STs is clearly not so important.
I am relaxed. However you seem to persist on spreading the rumor that only previous 2012+ Focus owners were buying the ST.

At any rate the advantages are the increased power and torque of the turbocharged engine, the additional 0.5" or so of suspension lowering stock vs. stock, the handling, etc, the larger front brakes.

The main down sides would be reduced fuel economy due to the propensity to use more of the available power, plus it's inherently slightly less efficient when off boost due to the lowered compression ratio to handle peak boost stock in the neighborhood of 21 psi, and the large turning radius, something that is shared with the base Focus with the 18" wheels and handling pack due to the aggressive steering rack limiters preventing the wheel from impacting the suspension and steering linkage. The pads though effective in daily street driving are aggressive and dust a lot, but aren't aggressive enough or there is not enough heat capacity to handle hard core track days on larger tracks and more severe braking zones. The base Focus can run 15" wheels and tires in the winter due to the smaller front rotors, the minimum on the ST is 16" and even then you have to be careful with wheel selection due to potential clearance issues to the caliper if the balance weights are on the inside of the wheel.

Over all in normal driving where you're not really using the performance perhaps there is less benefit, but personally I like the car.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
Slo86GT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88885
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Focus SE

Points 3,087, Level 34
Points: 3,087, Level: 34 Points: 3,087, Level: 34 Points: 3,087, Level: 34
Level Up 25% Completed
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 Slo86GT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Honestly after all I've read about the ST, I'd be getting 20mpg in it. I drive quite aggressively in my SE. I appreciate the fact that I can be playful 50% of the time I'm driving and still get 31 mpg over the last year and 23k miles, plus it's not exactly slow. Punch it after pulling slowly away from a light and I will get wheelspin! With the 18's and lowering springs, it handles like it's on rails.
- Jody -
Old 11-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Points 3,778, Level 38
Level Up 86% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
I am relaxed. However you seem to persist on spreading the rumor that only previous 2012+ Focus owners were buying the ST.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongue-in-cheek

I do have a serious question for you:

Is there any significant difference in road noise / tire noise when compared to your previous mk3?
Old 11-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #8
2kwik4u
Focus Enthusiast

There is the conundrum. Will a few mods on the SE keep me happy, or should I go ahead and move to the ST. I do like my 32mpg average, but wish I had a some more power from time to time......hrmm.

Anyone know if you can get the A-plan price on a car without visiting the dealership?
Old 11-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #9
dbenney
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1195
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

Points 895, Level 15
Points: 895, Level: 15 Points: 895, Level: 15 Points: 895, Level: 15
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 5 dbenney Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kwik4u View Post
There is the conundrum. Will a few mods on the SE keep me happy, or should I go ahead and move to the ST. I do like my 32mpg average, but wish I had a some more power from time to time......hrmm.

Anyone know if you can get the A-plan price on a car without visiting the dealership?
if you are a Ford employee, you can log into the benefits website then search a plan and it will give you the A-plan price of both built vehicles and vehicles on your dealerships lot.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
2kwik4u
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenney View Post
if you are a Ford employee, you can log into the benefits website then search a plan and it will give you the A-plan price of both built vehicles and vehicles on your dealerships lot.
Awesome. I'm not an employee, but my grandfather is (or rather was, retired now). I'm sure it's not A-plan, but maybe Z-plan....I can't remember which is which anymore. At any rate, I'll check with him the next time I go visit, and see what it says. He's not so great at anything computerized.

At any rate, I have a couple other questions for the ST guys....

Do the ST's have the same front strut clunk issue? Mine is getting worse by the day, and now also includes a "clicking" when turning the wheel. I think the upper strut bearings are in need of replacement again (at 29k miles), but am not for certain.

What about interior rattles/creaks? My '12 SE has the worst door rattles of any car I've owned including the two (more "platic-y") 200k+ GM vehicles I've owned. I assume these are not ST specific parts, however perhaps the chassis on the ST is stiffer, and negates some of the flexing that causes this kind of thing?

Thanks for the help, and for the couple of PM's I've received as well!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.