Buying 2001 ZX3 what to look for? - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #1
fi3ndx
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 120395
What I Drive: 2001 yellow ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 fi3ndx Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Buying 2001 ZX3 what to look for?

Let me start off by saying this is my first post on the forums. I apologize in advance for any mistakes I make. Im 16 looking to purchase my first car and there is a 2001 Focus ZX3 manual for sale with 90,000 miles. Ive read mixed reviews on the car and heard that if it has the 2.0 soi engine it has a dropped head valve issue. I also heard that the doch doesnt have this issue and you can tell what engine it has by looking at the 8th digit in the vin # and if it has a p than its the spi engine. Is this true and is their anything else i should look for or know about the 01 focus? Any response be appreciated. Also whats a fair price the dealer is asking $2,895.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2013, 12:10 AM   #2
GreySkorpion
saved from the grave

Fan#: 94674
What I Drive: 2004 LG ZX5 2.3D

FF Reputation: 11 GreySkorpion Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Only the Sedans had the SPI, any ZX3 or ZX5 have the Zetec engine. At 90K the timing belt and water pump are a concern. Any car with 90k will have wear such as struts and shocks, serpentine belt and tensioner, basic tune-up (plugs, wires, fuel filter) etc. All suspension bushings may be a concern. Test drive it for a weekend, and yes, any good dealer will let your dad/guardian do this and look it over really well. Good-luck. I have a 16 year old and know where you are coming from.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:06 AM   #3
fi3ndx
Focus Rookie

Thanks for the response. So should i replace these if i buy the car? Im not sure how much of the work i could do myself.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (44)
Moved to "Ford Focus & General Car Chat".
Old 11-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
xracerbob
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34662
What I Drive: 2005 Focus ST, destroyed at 241,622

FF Reputation: 1 xracerbob Good Standing Member
Also look at the wires that are at the top of the hatch opening. Move the rubber boot away and see if the insulation on the wires is cracked. This causes the rear wiper to not work, also other electrical things in the hatch like the hatch release, rear defroster, etc. Not that difficult of a fix, but if its there, point it out to the dealer and have him correct it.

As far as doing a timing belt yourself, it can be done, but be sure to follow a DIY here or get a manual. It is possible to screw it up. You must have the special tool to make sure the cam timing is not off when you put it back together.
Zetec powered F2000 racecar
Old 11-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: '03 LX SPI, '10 Chevy HHR

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySkorpion View Post
Only the Sedans had the SPI, any ZX3 or ZX5 have the Zetec engine.
Just FYI, The SPI was not just in sedans, it was also available in wagons and a few canadian hatches.

Easiest way to tell the difference is the valve cover. Look at the engine, and the top should either say zetec or split port.

hope that helps.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
fi3ndx
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xracerbob View Post
Move the rubber boot away and see if the insulation on the wires is cracked. This causes the rear wiper to not work, also other electrical things in the hatch like the hatch release, rear defroster, etc.
I remember when I was test driving it that I couldn't get the rear windshield wiper to go off. Could just be that i wasn't doing it right. I put a down payment on the car and will be picking it up Wednesday. I will be sure to check for these before I drive it off the lot. Thanks.

Bookmarks & Social Networks