Is it a good idea..... - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
Willzor7
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 127426
What I Drive: 2002 sonic blue svt ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 Willzor7 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Is it a good idea.....

I just bought a 2002 focus svt with 86,000 miles on it. great condition and all. should I bring it to a ford dealership to have them tune and inspect my new baby ;) I know around 60,000 is when i should replace the timing belt, but it looks fine to me. I want to take the best care of this car, but im not sure if ill get ripped off at the dealership or not

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 20 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
They cannot "tune" it. Depending on your mechanical skills and some basic tools, you can change the plugs(use a little anti-seize on them)and wires. Replace the air filter if needed. The Fuel Filter should be changed as well. How does the oil look? Coolant?

Depending on what they want to charge, a full inspection is a good idea.

Welcome to the site.

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 12-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
mainest
Focus Addict

Fan#: 60163
What I Drive: '04 Red Euro SVT

FF Reputation: 7 mainest Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
to FF, Willzor!
In my experience, it depends on the dealer, and especially the mechanics in the service department. The SVTF was a very limited production model, and they are 10-12 years old, thus many Ford mechanics have little or no experience working on them. On the plus side, the dealer should use genuine Ford parts (although they may not have them in stock), consensus being that Ford parts are the best, and they should have the required special tools for the job. On the negative side, their hourly rate will likely be higher than many, if not most, independent shops, and they will charge you by the book (applying their hourly rate by the number of hours specified for the job in their service manual). All of the above is more important for unique SVTF jobs, such as the timing belt assembly replacement. Most shops can do brakes, suspension, and basic plugs, filters, etc.
The ideal situation would be to find an independent mechanic who knows SVTFs, and will let you supply your own parts, so you know you have the correct/desired ones. I'm sure some local (to you) fanatics will chime in here, and will be able to direct you to a good shop.
The most important thing to me, at least, is to have the work done by a competent, experienced mechanic. The peace of mind knowing that the job was done right, is worth paying a few extra dollars. I would also encourage you to learn all you can about your car, and to do as much of the maintenance as you can. Enjoy your SVTF!
Old 12-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
Gav-O-SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 113561
What I Drive: '02 Infra-Red SVT

FF Reputation: 5 Gav-O-SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Stay away from the "stealerships". As stated above, I would change the filters, change the oil/tranny fluid, get new plugs/wires, flush the coolant and check the timing belt. Also inspect your brake pads/rotors. It is all very easy to do yourself, except for the timing belt, that can be challenging if you have never done it before. Congrats on your new SVTF! If you ever have any questions feel free to ask, one of us on here will be able to help you out. And BTW, to FF!
Old 12-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
Willzor7
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 127426
What I Drive: 2002 sonic blue svt ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 Willzor7 Good Standing Member
You guys are awesome haha.. thanks for the quick replies. Its very snowy here in mass so i think tomorrows task is to clear out the garage, pull in and check all the above thing just to check... ill take some pics and post em aswell. I work at a motorcycle dealership as a parts distributor so maybe i might know someone who knows someone to help me find a mechanic who knows svt focus' although i eventually wanna know everything, but its a process..
Old 12-18-2013, 11:06 PM   #6
Romans5.8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119488
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 4 Romans5.8 Good Standing Member
I would still recommend replacing the timing belt. It may "look" fine, but rubber breaks down over time and there may even be micro cracks that can't be seen easily with a visual inspection. If the timing belt goes, there's a good chance it'll take the motor with it. Cheap insurance.

Stay away from the stealership. They'll sell you stuff until you're broke that you don't need.
2011 Honda Shadow Aero, Candy Red (Wife's Bike)
Old 12-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #7
Gav-O-SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 113561
What I Drive: '02 Infra-Red SVT

FF Reputation: 5 Gav-O-SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
^^^x2...
Old 12-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #8
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 46 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
it's not just the belt you have to worry about, it's also the belt tensioner and idler pulley that can also go out which would take the belt along with it.

I've seen belts in all sort of conditions, if you don't know when it's been changed it's best to just do it for the peace of mind.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 12-19-2013, 05:23 AM   #9
Bonesacked
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113745
What I Drive: 2000 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Bonesacked Good Standing Member
I should add that your car, unlike the regular ZX3, has an interference engine, so if that belt breaks your SVT is going to the scrap yard. This is why it's important to change the belt. On the standard Zetec you can try to beat the world record for timing belt service life because if it breaks the only thing that will happen is that you'll need a tow back to your house or a shop to change it out at your leisure.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #10
Kodyston
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 112498
What I Drive: 2003 Sangria Red ZX3; Zetec; MTX-75

FF Reputation: 3 Kodyston Good Standing Member
^^ This... Also, When you change the belt, go ahead and change the pulleys that go along with the belt. As in, buy the timing belt "kit." I'm not going to recommend a water pump replacement yet but it is usually done with the timing belt. You'd probably want a new water pump the next time around when you do the belt for the 2nd time, if you keep the car that long.

Bookmarks & Social Networks