ITB instructions - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-30-2013, 05:20 AM   #11
808zx5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89050
What I Drive: 2003 Black Knight Mk1

Points 1,297, Level 19
Points: 1,297, Level: 19 Points: 1,297, Level: 19 Points: 1,297, Level: 19
Level Up 97% Completed
Level up: 97% Level up: 97% Level up: 97%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 808zx5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTribute View Post
Here is my individual throttle setup;

2001 Suzuki Hayabusa throttles (46mm @ the plate)
SVT lower intake manifold/flange

Not much to them really.... aside from the modified air box and air intake. I don't have a step by step on how these where built. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to help if I can.

Those looks like a good setup! what are the parts to make myself one of those?
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2013, 07:03 AM   #12
GhostTribute
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107929
What I Drive: 2001 Mazda Tribute (2.0L Zetec)

Points 315, Level 6
Points: 315, Level: 6 Points: 315, Level: 6 Points: 315, Level: 6
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 1 GhostTribute Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808zx5 View Post
Those looks like a good setup! what are the parts to make myself one of those?
• 2001-03 Suzuki GSX-R1000 or 1300 throttle bodies
GSX-R600/750 throttles are what a lot of people use because all 4 throttle bodies are individual. While the 2001/03 1000 throttle bodies are in pairs. I went for the throttle plate size over ease of installation. To each his own.
• 2001-03 Suzuki GSX-R1000 or 1300 Air box and filter (could use a cone style filter if you are planning on going with a CAI style intake.)
• Various diameter vacuum hose (bought mine in a kit)
• Various vacuum hose fittings Ts, Ys, 90s and unions (also bought mine in packaged kits)
• 4' length of ABS pipe (if you want to make the intake opening for a CAI)
• Plastic weld
• Ford Focus SVT lower intake manifold/flange
• 4 2" pieces of silicon hose
• Piece of 1/2 dia. aluminum tubing (for rear air box bracket)
• Zetec/SVT fuel rail and injectors (19-24lb inj. depends on tune)
• Tunable EMS....
Old 10-30-2013, 09:14 AM   #13
Pb-foot
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 62873
What I Drive: 2004 Silver 3dr SVTF w/EAP

Points 234, Level 4
Points: 234, Level: 4 Points: 234, Level: 4 Points: 234, Level: 4
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Pb-foot Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
2001-03 Suzuki GSX-R1000 or 1300 throttle bodies
GSX-R600/750 throttles are what a lot of people use because all 4 throttle bodies are individual. While the 2001/03 1000 throttle bodies are in pairs. I went for the throttle plate size over ease of installation. To each his own.
2001-03 Suzuki GSX-R1000 or 1300 Air box and filter (could use a cone style filter if you are planning on going with a CAI style intake.)
Various diameter vacuum hose (bought mine in a kit)
Various vacuum hose fittings Ts, Ys, 90s and unions (also bought mine in packaged kits)
4' length of ABS pipe (if you want to make the intake opening for a CAI)
Plastic weld
Ford Focus SVT lower intake manifold/flange
4 2" pieces of silicon hose
Piece of 1/2 dia. aluminum tubing (for rear air box bracket)
Zetec/SVT fuel rail and injectors (19-24lb inj. depends on tune)
Tunable EMS....

Is this the set-up you bought the Pro-M for, to feed the air box above the ITBs? Because if it is, I'm glad you got it! I really like the idea.

I've had cars with individual carbs per cylinder (same as ITBs as far as running characteristics), and they were a blast. The agravation of getting going in traffic was nothing to my young self (at the time) compared to the awesome sound over 8-9K and the never-say-die power up there.

Just to add... you also realy need a great scavenging header to allow ITBs to work at their best potential, and cams as big as your CR will allow. Push CR to 11 or 12:1 with pistons/rods.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #14
GhostTribute
Focus Enthusiast

Points 315, Level 6
Level Up 30% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
It will end up on that setup when I tear the block down and do a rebuild... for now it will be going on my current setup. 70mm CAI, 65mm TB, port matched and ported IM, Comp Cams 0.381 lift x 281 duration. 4-1 equal length ram horn header, 2.5 down pipe w/cat delete and 2" Magnaflow exhaust with turbo muffler.

Push the 4WD button and pop'n the clutch is a blast as it sits now. I can't wait to install the 24lb injectors and the Pro-M70 and see what that will do. ;)

I think the ITB's will probably have to wait to go back on until the spring. When I pull out the summer car.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #15
firebirdjoe91
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 65768
What I Drive: 2001 zetec 5spd atlantic blue se

FF Reputation: 1 firebirdjoe91 Good Standing Member
itbs

ive always loved this idea and thought about doing this myself. only problem being im an autocross guy and id never be able to keep the engine in the higher rpms that the itbs need to breath properly. its a great idea i think for a n/a drag car but i've never really seen anything to prove that it can make good power numbers. does anyone out there have an idea of the true potential of this set up i saw the post of just over 200 hp but that seems like an offaly low number
Old 11-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #16
GhostTribute
Focus Enthusiast

Points 315, Level 6
Level Up 30% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirdjoe91 View Post
ive always loved this idea and thought about doing this myself. only problem being im an autocross guy and id never be able to keep the engine in the higher rpms that the itbs need to breath properly. its a great idea i think for a n/a drag car but i've never really seen anything to prove that it can make good power numbers. does anyone out there have an idea of the true potential of this set up i saw the post of just over 200 hp but that seems like an offaly low number
I just posted about this on another forum. Sure a lot of drag car guys like these because they can hold their foot to the floor and go. However, individual throttles are even more popular in road race series cars. F1, Australian Super Cars, GT1, GT2, the old JTCC cars pretty much all used individual throttles as well.

If I had to enter into a road race competition where 400whp was the limit. I would rather have a 400whp engine with individual throttles over a 400whp engine with a plenum style manifold. What you hear all the time is "my ITBs lost power on the dyno over my old plenum". What these people neglect to realize is that they probably would have shaved 1-2 seconds off their lap times. The instant throttle response is hard to beat coming out of a corner.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #17
firebirdjoe91
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
I just posted about this on another forum. Sure a lot of drag car guys like these because they can hold their foot to the floor and go. However, individual throttles are even more popular in road race series cars. F1, Australian Super Cars, GT1, GT2, the old JTCC cars pretty much all used individual throttles as well.

If I had to enter into a road race competition where 400whp was the limit. I would rather have a 400whp engine with individual throttles over a 400whp engine with a plenum style manifold. What you hear all the time is "my ITBs lost power on the dyno over my old plenum". What these people neglect to realize is that they probably would have shaved 1-2 seconds off their lap times. The instant throttle response is hard to beat coming out of a corner.
150% agree with you on a track that would be awesome and while i currently live in AZ where there are a few tracks and with a few hours driving distance from many more i'm from KC KS and there is only one actual track that is really only is open to amateur racing once a year with NASA so i got in to cone killing with SCCA . in my experience you rarely get into the upper range on the tech, with a top speed if your lucky of 60. idk if the itbs would be any use.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #18
GhostTribute
Focus Enthusiast

Points 315, Level 6
Level Up 30% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
Quote:
150% agree with you on a track that would be awesome and while i currently live in AZ where there are a few tracks and with a few hours driving distance from many more i'm from KC KS and there is only one actual track that is really only is open to amateur racing once a year with NASA so i got in to cone killing with SCCA . in my experience you rarely get into the upper range on the tech, with a top speed if your lucky of 60. idk if the itbs would be any use.
That's what I was trying to say.... You don't need to always hit top speed for them to be a benefit. The fast throttle response helps you get into your power range faster. Great for short bursts of acceleration as well as top speed.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #19
firebirdjoe91
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

i get the better throttle response but is there really any benefit at normal rpm range i always thought that they needed the higher rpms to breath and be beneficial.

ive seen dyno sheets of an EVO with stock plenum and with itbs mid range power dropped an average of 3-5 hp but 6k-8k range showed increase of 8-10hp
since he races at tracks buttonwillow in CA being a fav. he was more than happy with this even though accel. was a bit slower he could make up for it in the high speed sections of the track.

with me racing autocross i need the accel. not top end. I dont know if this was the tuning or what but this is what ive seen over and over again
Old 11-14-2013, 11:36 PM   #20
GhostTribute
Focus Enthusiast

Points 315, Level 6
Level Up 30% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
Quote:
i get the better throttle response but is there really any benefit at normal rpm range i always thought that they needed the higher rpms to breath and be beneficial.

ive seen dyno sheets of an EVO with stock plenum and with itbs mid range power dropped an average of 3-5 hp but 6k-8k range showed increase of 8-10hp
since he races at tracks buttonwillow in CA being a fav. he was more than happy with this even though accel. was a bit slower he could make up for it in the high speed sections of the track.

with me racing autocross i need the accel. not top end. I dont know if this was the tuning or what but this is what ive seen over and over again
What do you deem as normal RPM range? If you stay away from the 1 dimensional dyno sheets for a bit you will see that every setup has its sweet spot. This is everything working together, the engine, the transmission the suspension and the tires. Everything that puts the power to the ground. Where an engine makes it's power is only relevant if you don't have the means to put it to the ground in that range.

There is a reason that there are Honda guys that are still building 1.6-1.8L engines that rev to 9k and run them on the autoX courses. They have the transmission gearing to make use of high RPM power. Higher RPM requires shorter gearing to get you off the line.

IMO it's explosive when you have the right combination of RPM and gearing... so to answer your question.... If ITB's move your power up in the power band and you loose 3-4 hp in the mids, but gain 10-15 in the highs. then you need to get yourself an LSD trans that will get you up there quicker so there is no lag during all your starts and stops.....

I love taking my 2.0L ZETEC to 6500-7000 for shifts.... thing pulls hard from 45000-6500 and it pulled even harder the other day I had the ITB's back on her for a run. Never really noticed what the range was. I was having way to much fun.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.