ITB instructions - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-29-2013, 03:11 AM   #1
808zx5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89050
What I Drive: 2003 Black Knight Mk1

Points 1,297, Level 19
Points: 1,297, Level: 19 Points: 1,297, Level: 19 Points: 1,297, Level: 19
Level Up 97% Completed
Level up: 97% Level up: 97% Level up: 97%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 808zx5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
ITB instructions

Does anyone have a step by step on putting a itb on a 2.0 zetec DOHC??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2013, 04:33 AM   #2
focusmaniaczx3
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Fan#: 55157
What I Drive: zx3 turbo, kia soul, 71 chevy c/10

Points 14,659, Level 78
Points: 14,659, Level: 78 Points: 14,659, Level: 78 Points: 14,659, Level: 78
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 35 focusmaniaczx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
long and short of it, its a pain in the butt, and not worth the effort unless you are doing an all out N/A build and are willing to sink several grand into the car to make just over 200whp.

if you run a ITB setup it will dramatically shift your power into a very high RPM range making low rpm driving very hard. ALSO the stock oil pump wont handle much abuse above 7500rpms and your power will most likely be at a higher range than that. the only option to get past this right now is a dry sump oil pump which is well over a grand. CFM used to have a cheap alternative to this (a billet oil pump gear) but they ran out of stock and have been struggling to get a new manufacturer to make more.

now... knowing this if you are serious about wanting to do this simply because you're one of those crazies (like me) then ill crack my knuckles and get my search-fu on because i seem to remember seeing a very detailed write up on this exact topic some time back. i think the person used GSXR-1000 tbs if memory serves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus
I love this big little city HOOTERS !
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!
Old 10-29-2013, 05:30 AM   #3
808zx5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89050
What I Drive: 2003 Black Knight Mk1

Points 1,297, Level 19
Points: 1,297, Level: 19 Points: 1,297, Level: 19 Points: 1,297, Level: 19
Level Up 97% Completed
Level up: 97% Level up: 97% Level up: 97%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 808zx5 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by focusmaniaczx3 View Post
long and short of it, its a pain in the butt, and not worth the effort unless you are doing an all out N/A build and are willing to sink several grand into the car to make just over 200whp.

if you run a ITB setup it will dramatically shift your power into a very high RPM range making low rpm driving very hard. ALSO the stock oil pump wont handle much abuse above 7500rpms and your power will most likely be at a higher range than that. the only option to get past this right now is a dry sump oil pump which is well over a grand. CFM used to have a cheap alternative to this (a billet oil pump gear) but they ran out of stock and have been struggling to get a new manufacturer to make more.

now... knowing this if you are serious about wanting to do this simply because you're one of those crazies (like me) then ill crack my knuckles and get my search-fu on because i seem to remember seeing a very detailed write up on this exact topic some time back. i think the person used GSXR-1000 tbs if memory serves.

I'll do about anything to run ITB on my focus! I really don't want turbo lag. and plus turbo goes bad too. :( the one crappy part about turbos
Old 10-29-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

Points 18,286, Level 85
Points: 18,286, Level: 85 Points: 18,286, Level: 85 Points: 18,286, Level: 85
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 16%
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%
FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
ITB isn't going to make any more significant power than a well built traditional intake.
People claim that trying to build HP N/A is a waste of money. Well ITB takes the cake in that regard IMO.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
GhostTribute
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107929
What I Drive: 2001 Mazda Tribute (2.0L Zetec)

Points 281, Level 5
Points: 281, Level: 5 Points: 281, Level: 5 Points: 281, Level: 5
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 GhostTribute Good Standing Member
ITB's are actually pretty easy to instal and they only move the power band up over 7k if you have the cams that will move it up that high. I will agree that they are a lot of work for little power gains on a "stock 2.0L DOHC Zetec". Quck throttle response and the sound is well worth it though.

For people to come in and say that they only make power up high, take away all of your low end tq and are hard to tune. I would ahve to say that they have probably never even touched an engine with individual throttles.

Honda, Toyota and BMW have had production vehicles that made use of individual throttles. No high revving monster N/A engines, but man they sound nice and talk about throttle response.

Yes you may have to keep the RPMs up around 2500-3k to shift but that is no different than running a 0.380 - 0.410" lift cams with a 65-70mm single throttle body and manifold setup.... I've run both!

Individual throttles do take some time and research to build the engine properly, tuning is the key. I always suggest to find a tuner in your area and ask them what they can do for you. I also suggest running a MegaSquirtIII, AEM or some other form of stand alone EMS. I don't care how powerful the OEM processor is....MAF is a PITA and not the way to go for N/A with ITBs and cams.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 51,026, Level 100
Points: 51,026, Level: 100 Points: 51,026, Level: 100 Points: 51,026, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 36%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
I have built and tuned dozens of Zetec and Duratec and ITB`s on average add about 20-25 HP to the wheels over any intake manifold I have tried

Tuning is the key but that goes for ITB , custom or stock intake

MAF is best and why almost all car manufactures have gone to it its far more accurate then MAP , most that dont like MAF dont understand it

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 10-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
GhostTribute
Focus Enthusiast

Points 281, Level 5
Level Up 62% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
I know a little bit about what tuning via MAF is about now. That's why I had to take a bunch of extra time and build a completely closed intake system for my individual throttles to run.

How do you get a MAF to work on an individual filter or open set of individual throttles? Do you place a MAF in one runner/throttle opening/filter and tune based off of one cylinder? What about reversion and wave pulses, don't they screw it up if the MAF is placed to close?
Old 10-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
jmcrides03
low n slow

Fan#: 75938
What I Drive: 96 paseo 97 contour zetec mtx 75

FF Reputation: 7 jmcrides03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
what i had planned for itbs until i changed my mind into sticking with going fi was this.

SVT lower intake manifold
gsxr- 600 throttle bodies spaced out and holes filled and vacuum ports added
svt injectors
custom made plenum
some big MAF
some wicked cams and all the extras that go with it like springs ans retainers
tuning by tom. talked to him about tuning it before i ever thought about starting it
what i had not figured out hat i was going to do yet was what to do with the tps. not sure splicing wires between gsxr tps and focus wiring would work

ive still got the svt lower svt injectors and gsxr throttle bodies. maybe one day theyll get used

iirc the write up i found was on passionford on a st170 (svt focus) thats what i was modeling mine after but i cant seem to find the thread now

edit: found the link but pics are no longer visible http://www.passionford.pl/?p=1006
sedan revolution #83 Team Focus Cleveland #14
96 toyota paseo 97 contour zetec mtx turbo build in progress
Old 10-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 51,026, Level 100
Points: 51,026, Level: 100 Points: 51,026, Level: 100 Points: 51,026, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 36%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTribute View Post
I know a little bit about what tuning via MAF is about now. That's why I had to take a bunch of extra time and build a completely closed intake system for my individual throttles to run.

How do you get a MAF to work on an individual filter or open set of individual throttles? Do you place a MAF in one runner/throttle opening/filter and tune based off of one cylinder? What about reversion and wave pulses, don't they screw it up if the MAF is placed to close?
Unless you build a boxed in set of ITB and then an intake for them you cant use MAF you have to go MAP
The Caterham ITB use MAP

My point was MAF is better in my opinion , more precise for daily driving and in my opinion easier to tune then MAP

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 10-29-2013, 07:09 PM   #10
GhostTribute
Focus Enthusiast

Points 281, Level 5
Level Up 62% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Here is my individual throttle setup;

2001 Suzuki Hayabusa throttles (46mm @ the plate)
SVT lower intake manifold/flange

Not much to them really.... aside from the modified air box and air intake. I don't have a step by step on how these where built. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to help if I can.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.