Cant reverse bleed clutch?!? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-26-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
oCancerPatiento
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87139
What I Drive: 04 SVT , 02 5spd ZTW

FF Reputation: 1 oCancerPatiento Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Cant reverse bleed clutch?!?

My clutch master cylinder was leaking and I replaced it. Everything went fine until I tried to bleed the system. I got air bubbles the first few pumps and not again. I was doing the two person method. After doing this method with no air bubbles again it still had almost no pedal. I tried to reverse bleed it and the fluid wont go into the bleeder. I figured I maybe got a bad part so I replaced it and the same happens. I then brought it into a shop and they pressure bled it and got a little air out but still no pedal. He also tried to reverse bleed it per Ford instructions and it also wont let him reverse bleed it. What would cause it to not reverse bleed? We dont know where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
oCancerPatiento
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87139
What I Drive: 04 SVT , 02 5spd ZTW

FF Reputation: 1 oCancerPatiento Good Standing Member
Sorry but I never updated this. I put in 2 different units from Oreileys and neither worked. The main bodies were metal instead of plastic like the oem units. They also looked like they had a check valve on one of the tubes unlike the factory piece. The mechanic or I were never able to back bleed the unit so we thought something was wrong. I put in a oem Ford piece and I could tell instantly that it was bleeding correctly. Buyer beware on the aftermarket pieces. It is working great now.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Tx for the update!

My own replacement was from Autozone, and matched Factory exactly. Vacuum bleed worked, normal level of PITA so I didn't experience your issue.

Many have commented on "Bench Bleeding" of master cylinders being a helpful procedure, can't say from experience as I've never need to do that. Vacuum is my preferred method, sometimes assisted by the two person method, though some friends swear by the pressure method I'm not as comfortable with that & it can be a bit messy!

I remember many asking if a metal replacement is available, it'll be interesting to see if anyone chimes in to report positive results when using one. That apparent "check valve" is interesting as well, hope someone knows more about that!

At least it's working for you now, didn't happen to see the original post at the time.

Cheers!

S.R. #275

Old 11-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
ghostrider713
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98530
What I Drive: 2005 Dark Gray, ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 ghostrider713 Good Standing Member
Just installed Dorman brand which has the metal body. Actually I wanted one hoping it would be better than the plastic ones. I did not bench bleed unit as well. Trying to prevent getting fluid inside of car during installation. I tried the pumping pedal method no luck. Tried bleeding with a might vac but was not very successful. I would get a partial pedal after several pumps part of time. On other attempts nothing. So I brought out the vacuum pump and started using that. It finally started pulling fluid through the system. It was a 2 person operation but it made a big difference. I did this until fluid was very clean. Test drove and everything seems good. I do question the free play in pedal. I don't remember it being there before.

Bookmarks & Social Networks