2001 Focus road noise - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
rizzodv
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119485
What I Drive: 01 Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 rizzodv Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2001 Focus road noise

Is it me or is this car just stupid loud for rd noise.
I fig it might be tires and alignment. Brand new tires n align.
Still cant hear yourself think.
And its not like a hub roar or anything.
Just sounds like there is nothing for noise dampening for the car
On the floor boards.

Is it just me or this common? Just got the car so still new to it.

Thanks everyone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
Leora83
Focus Addict

Fan#: 69136
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 chrome yellow

Points 444, Level 8
Points: 444, Level: 8 Points: 444, Level: 8 Points: 444, Level: 8
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 1 Leora83 Good Standing Member
Engine mounts. Common problem with these. Vibrates all over and can get loud. The passenger side is the usual culprit. Replace with OEM only--most posters here who have tried aftermarket end up with the same problem almost immediately after.

Or someone with a yen for hypermiling might have literally removed the sound deadening. Or you have a hole in the body, covered up by carpeting.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
rizzodv
Focus Rookie

Cool. Didnt think of that since I didn't see much motor flex while inspecting them.
Is it a hard one to replace?

Yeah im pretty close to going to a junk yard and getting some sound deadening foam from a benz or something lol

Sent from my SGH-T889 using FF Mobile
Old 10-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

Points 6,115, Level 50
Points: 6,115, Level: 50 Points: 6,115, Level: 50 Points: 6,115, Level: 50
Level Up 83% Completed
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Forum Activity 53%
Activity: 53% Activity: 53% Activity: 53%
FF Reputation: 24 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (22)
I own the quietest focus the I have ever been in. This was achieved using around 100sqft. of RAAMat and DamplifierPro and some pretty quiet tires(Firestone Affinity's) In some places I have up to 3 layers of deadener. My firewall and roof need to get done someday soon. But keep in mind it took me and my daughter a total of 22 hours to do it including the removal of the seats, carpet and to vacuum and clean all metal surfaces with denatured alcohol. We also covered all the soundproofing seams with aluminum tape to keep it clean.

This all depends on what you budget and goals are. "Automotive Jute Padding" is going to be the cheapest route. But understand, it is best used as a under carpet layment and is effective to a point. You can also use it in the trunk floor as well. As long as you do NOT plan on doing any future soundproofing(like with a butyl based deadeners like mine or, DynaMat)it is okay to use an adhesive like 3M Super 77(my favorite)to hold it down. You don't have to get wild with the 77 just enough to hold the edges and various bits in between.

That's my 2 cents for cheap effective floor noise problem. We can cover the door and roof subject later.

Oh yeah, what kind of tires did you buy?

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 10-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
rizzodv
Focus Rookie

Ahh not the greatest tires. On a budget. But $30 used tires sound no diff then the new ones that are hwy pattern.
Now something ive noticed since it was suggested the motor mount is that when lets say im idle and rev the eng a bit the side mirrors shake. So its obvious that something is not absorbing the vibrations.
This also doesnt matter the speed as soon as I move it is loud. Not like bearing howling loud, just like ahhh like a stiff wire hanging under the car dragging the ground. But there is not. Ive checked.
Now I do know this when i got the car the guy curbed it pretty drunk and snapped the inner tie. I replaced that. Guy who did the alignment said that side also clearly has either a arm bent or strut bent. Cause you can only barely get a finger between that tire and on the good side you can get 2 fingers.
Also on bad side you can stick one finger between tire and back of fender. Walk to the other side. 3 finger gap. Thats next on my list to replace. But I just cant see that making that much noise from all my years of low ridin and having my wheels all tucked and f-ked.
But if replacing all that right side aarm , strut, hub and strut mount, im gonna dynomat that car till I have to watch my weight crossing bridges. I hate the roar of road noise. It sounds like I have a set of knobby 44s under it.
Thanks for the tips :)

Old 10-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 2,935, Level 33
Points: 2,935, Level: 33 Points: 2,935, Level: 33 Points: 2,935, Level: 33
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 43%
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%
FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
I totally disagree with the used tires vs. 'highway' tires statement. I run lots of substandard tires and every time car is refitted with brand new on all four corners it gets so much quieter there is no comparison and regardless of brand. Hard rubber from age makes much more noise. This on both the two I have, also, I generally change only two at a time but even doing that usually a reduction in noise of 50-70%. Also, any tire not pointed dead straight and flat will make more noise, the tread is warped more out of shape to do it. Your bent strut issue.

Depending on tire change timing, one of mine will howl like all the banshees of h-ll, or be so quiet the wife says 'Why don't you do this to the other car???'..............women.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
rizzodv
Focus Rookie

No im not saying that. Hwy tires are suppost to be more silent. Its whole part of the tire rating. So I fig hwy tires would silence it out a bit from the used bfgs that prob came off a ranger lol. New tires, old hard tires same noise. So thats not the issue.
Yeah thats why Im going for strut and all that next pay check. Agree w ya on that

Old 10-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 2,935, Level 33
Points: 2,935, Level: 33 Points: 2,935, Level: 33 Points: 2,935, Level: 33
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 43%
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%
FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
I am well aware of tire ratings but there is no such thing as a 'highway' tire at least here, they ALL have to be quiet or watch that company go bankrupt. No one intentionally makes a tire noiser except like specialty snow tires or off road.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #9
rizzodv
Focus Rookie

Where are you? Been in car buisness for a bit. They def have that as selling point for some tires of how silent they are. Like I was saying it sounds like I have 44 inch mud tires under it. But that never changed when I had used or new ones on. All in steps of troubleshooting. And I started w tires is all cause they needed them. But yeah in the US they def have hwy tread. Not so nobby and they are a bit harder to get more miles and the gaps in the tread are pretty close to not cause the "clapping" of the tread hitting the hwy.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
rizzodv
Focus Rookie

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/highas.jsp

Bookmarks & Social Networks