Radical ideas for my focus? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > DURATEC Performance (2008-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2008-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I guess I'll shut up since you clearly know what you're doing.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #12
2010SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93835
What I Drive: 2010 Focus Se 1998 Ford F150

FF Reputation: 2 2010SVT Good Standing Member
I know what I want to do and where I'm heading with my car. Just funds atm with just having a kid and all arent where I need them to be. But that doesnt mean I cant plot out my build and plan for what I want to do and have the cost added up and such. I dont just randomly buy stuff, most of what I have I had planned out in my head months ahead of time before I bought it. For example I weighed over which coilovers to go with for several weeks and saved for several months to get them. I ended up going with ksports.
sedan revolution #215 2010 SE Sedan, SES conversion front and rear, Ksport coilovers, Fswerks CAI, 93 tune, Race header and flex pipe, stealth exhaust, upper front stress bar and engine cover.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #13
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Nobody's trying to rain on your parade, everybody is trying to help, even if it doesn't seem like it.

Your plan is a crapload of work and cash for no gain.

I bet more people would swap out the 6 speed DCT in the Mk-3 Focus for a plain old 4f27e automatic than the other way around.

It sounds like you want to do something big, unique, unusual....
Well, there is a reason nobody else is doing what you propose.

"different"
is another way to say
"unable to recoup anywhere near what it cost to build because it's undesirable"

Custom cars are fun, but it's better if you can recoup the investment at sale time when you finish it and want to move onto the next custom project.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #14
Phestezio
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97562
What I Drive: 2007 Oxford White ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 Phestezio Good Standing Member
I am the same way, I plan months in advance and do extensive research before I actually spend my money on something. I spend lots of money on my focus that I would never see again if i were to sell it. But I love the car and never plan on selling it, i'll just keep bringing it back to life until I can't get parts for it anymore. You won't see your money back for a 5 lug swap and definetly won't see any performance gains, but you do get the added benefit of disc brakes in the rear and a MUCH more popular lug pattern to open up your wheel selection. But that being said you won't see any money back from any mods, performance or otherwise. If your buying parts to mod out your car you should already know that you will NEVER see that money again. Spending money to mod out your car is for the enjoyment of the owner and that is it, no one else will appreciate the mods like you would and the next guy doesn't want to pay for a bunch of stuff he doesn't care about or even know what it is.

Just help the man do what he wants to do with the car, the tranny swap is a little more outragous but the 5 lug swap isn't a bad idea at all. Not saying a tranny swap wouldn't be a good idea but if your not gonna pump anymore power out of the motor a tranny swap is kind of negligable you won't notice much of a difference. Whether you call it "different" or "undesirable" the fact is still the same. You will NEVER see your money back from ANY kind of mods so spending the money is for the owners enjoyment only and if that is what would give him satisfaction who are we to stop him, we should be here to help even if it isn't something that we would do to our own car.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #15
Phestezio
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97562
What I Drive: 2007 Oxford White ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 Phestezio Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SVT View Post
I know what I want to do and where I'm heading with my car. Just funds atm with just having a kid and all arent where I need them to be. But that doesnt mean I cant plot out my build and plan for what I want to do and have the cost added up and such. I dont just randomly buy stuff, most of what I have I had planned out in my head months ahead of time before I bought it. For example I weighed over which coilovers to go with for several weeks and saved for several months to get them. I ended up going with ksports.

Also to 2010SVT, I have been looking at the ksport and D2 coilovers but I haven't talked to anyone who has bought them before. They both look like they are pretty much identical coilovers but my real question is about the rear set. How are the rears in the ksport? are they a true coilover or just a shock with a spring perch sleeve? I'd like to get true coilovers for the rear so I can eliminate the spring and spring perch and use tubular rear control arms. If you have a pic of them on the car that would be cool too!
Old 10-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #16
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phestezio View Post
You will NEVER see your money back from ANY kind of mods so spending the money is for the owners enjoyment only and if that is what would give him satisfaction who are we to stop him, we should be here to help even if it isn't something that we would do to our own car.
I have been building hot rods and street rods for over 20 years, and I am yet to lose a dollar on a car after investing a bunch of aftermarket (or other factory parts) at an antique car.

It's really easy to throw money at a car that you won't get back, but it kills your ability to start and finish the next project.

Rule#1, don't spend a bunch of time, money, and effort building a car nobody will buy, unless you are 100% sure you want to keep it forever.

It would cost about the same to restore a 71 Camaro as it would a 71 Pinto, one of them will be worth $30k when finished the other won't be worth the cost of the materials to paint it.

I see it all the time, "Invested $150K will sell for $50k" that is doing it wrong.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #17
2010SVT
Focus Addict

Quote:
Also to 2010SVT, I have been looking at the ksport and D2 coilovers but I haven't talked to anyone who has bought them before. They both look like they are pretty much identical coilovers but my real question is about the rear set. How are the rears in the ksport? are they a true coilover or just a shock with a spring perch sleeve? I'd like to get true coilovers for the rear so I can eliminate the spring and spring perch and use tubular rear control arms. If you have a pic of them on the car that would be cool too!
I am running the ksports. I like them very much. The ride is stiff but its not bad honestly. Unless you gotta pee really bad and your bouncing along on the interstate, that sucks. Anyway its an adjustable shock in the back and a shorter spring that is also adjustable in the back. I'm not familiar with the d2s. So I cant offer a valid opinion on them. I can tell you how ever that you will not be let down with the ksports.
sedan revolution #215 2010 SE Sedan, SES conversion front and rear, Ksport coilovers, Fswerks CAI, 93 tune, Race header and flex pipe, stealth exhaust, upper front stress bar and engine cover.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #18
2010SVT
Focus Addict

Quote:
I am the same way, I plan months in advance and do extensive research before I actually spend my money on something. I spend lots of money on my focus that I would never see again if i were to sell it. But I love the car and never plan on selling it, i'll just keep bringing it back to life until I can't get parts for it anymore. You won't see your money back for a 5 lug swap and definetly won't see any performance gains, but you do get the added benefit of disc brakes in the rear and a MUCH more popular lug pattern to open up your wheel selection. But that being said you won't see any money back from any mods, performance or otherwise. If your buying parts to mod out your car you should already know that you will NEVER see that money again. Spending money to mod out your car is for the enjoyment of the owner and that is it, no one else will appreciate the mods like you would and the next guy doesn't want to pay for a bunch of stuff he doesn't care about or even know what it is.

Just help the man do what he wants to do with the car, the tranny swap is a little more outragous but the 5 lug swap isn't a bad idea at all. Not saying a tranny swap wouldn't be a good idea but if your not gonna pump anymore power out of the motor a tranny swap is kind of negligable you won't notice much of a difference. Whether you call it "different" or "undesirable" the fact is still the same. You will NEVER see your money back from ANY kind of mods so spending the money is for the owners enjoyment only and if that is what would give him satisfaction who are we to stop him, we should be here to help even if it isn't something that we would do to our own car.

Thank you for understanding where I'm coming from. Several people above do not understand. First off I have no intentions of getting rid of my car so getting money back off my investment is not a concern. I dont get rid of cars. I've had my 90 and 98 F150's for about 8 years now, and my 92 Mitsubishi Mighty Max for 3, the same for my focus. So its safe to say they arent going anywhere.

Also as you seem to understand I am not doing the lug conversion for any performance gain, I dont see to get why people think I would do that. I am doing it because I want rear disc anyway and as you get I want to open my wheel choices up to a much larger selection by going with a much more popular lug pattern. Plus I kinda think its cool and when I would go to FocusFest for example I bet many people would spot it pretty quick and ask me about it so it would be a good conversation starter.

And as for the transmission, I figured more gears would mean better efficiency. I dont even know why the focus has a 4 speed, thats so 90's. That and the damn drum brakes, but thats back to the swap lol. Thanks for getting where I'm coming from.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:09 AM   #19
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Show us when you get it done.
What's your plan on controlling the 6 speed DCT?
Old 10-26-2013, 06:14 AM   #20
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Fan#: 66026
What I Drive: '06 WRX Wagon 285whp/292wtq

FF Reputation: 8 ViperThreat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Just because I feel like it should be said:

Focus ST wheels = $600ish used
Tires = $500-600 for cheaper models
hub/rotor/brake swap = $1500+
Trans swap = $3000+

having absolutely zero performance or aesthetic improvement over stock = priceless

If you really want to make your car stand out, go get a 3d carbon body kit, and throw some fifteen52 wheels on it. Bonus points if you do a SVT rear disc conversion, and throw a set of wilwood or brembos up front.

Still cheaper, and I guarantee your car will turn alot more heads.

On a side note, I have absolutely no idea why anybody would consider a transmission swap on an automatic. If you aren't shifting the gears, and you aren't concerned about performance, what the heck difference does it make?

Just my point of view mate. I think you need to be more critical about your ideas before you post them up in a forum. You are kind of opening yourself up for ridicule

"Ford Focus ST - the official car of message-board circle-jerks"
-Regular Car Reviews

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->