Radical ideas for my focus? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > DURATEC Performance (2008-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2008-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
2010SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93835
What I Drive: 2010 Focus Se 1998 Ford F150

FF Reputation: 2 2010SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Radical ideas for my focus?

Ok so I have a few ideas I'm thinking about doing to my focus. Its a 2010. Some of you are familiar with me and my car, some are not. I like to do different. So that had me thinking, what if I were to really blaze a different path with something that wows people. My first thing I want to do maybe isnt so radical but I havent seen it done. Im curious how hard it would be to convert my car to the 5 lug from the 12 up focus models. I think it be sick to find some ST wheels possibly and run those on an mk2, brakes and all. Has this been done? My other idea is a little more radical but I would think its possible, that would be to swap in the 6 speed auto from the 12's up to replace my 4 speed auto. Both have 2.0 duratecs so I assume the bell housing is the same and all that good stuff, seems like it is not that far out of reach. Any help on these two things is greatly appreciated. Maybe someone has done it and I wont have to completely new ground, if not, well, then new ground here I come.

sedan revolution #215 2010 SE Sedan, SES conversion front and rear, Ksport coilovers, Fswerks CAI, 93 tune, Race header and flex pipe, stealth exhaust, upper front stress bar and engine cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2013, 11:56 PM   #2
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I hope you have mad fabrication skills for the brake and 5-lug conversion

You are going to need even more impressive tuning skills to get the 6 speed automatic to play nice with the PCM.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:23 AM   #3
Red Jay 918
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 79277
What I Drive: 2010 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 7 Red Jay 918 Good Standing Member
keep your 4 speed auto. from whats been read & seen on here it seems that DCT in the gen 3's is more of a problematic than an automatic. if you want radical try swapping in a 6 speed manual from the 10-12 Fusion. and a 5 lug swap has been done. don't remember his username but i remember his car always had a big inflatable turtle on the roof.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
GreySkorpion
saved from the grave

Fan#: 94674
What I Drive: 2004 LG ZX5 2.3D

FF Reputation: 11 GreySkorpion Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Its a Focus, it wont WOW anyone. Want to try? Drop in a LS1, bag it, chop it and shave it. Dont forget the big wing on it.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #5
AllCarFan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102583
What I Drive: 2005 Saleen Sonic Blue S121

FF Reputation: 1 AllCarFan Good Standing Member
so you are going to drop how much coin for 5 lug wheels and brakes and a 6speed auto trans? both of which probably have no real performance gains
Old 10-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #6
Phestezio
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97562
What I Drive: 2007 Oxford White ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 Phestezio Good Standing Member
There are multiple cars and multiple ways to do the 5-lug swap. I am about to be doing the same thing when I swap to my MTX-75. I will probably be using the mazda 3 hubs and cv axles but i'm going to do some research on using the new foci hubs and axles. But you can find mazda 3's in the junkyard and could get everything for the rear for about $90 and probably another $150 for the front. If you wanted to use new focus parts you would be almost forced to buy everything new which would add alot to the cost.

For the rear you need the flat steel "knuckle" that the hub bolts to (its the same as the focus except has 2 extra tabs to mount the caliper), the hub, brake calipers and rotors. If you have all those parts its an easy swap in the rear.

For the front you need to really decide what tranny to use because of the cv axle spline difference. I do not know the splines of the new focus yet but I will look into that. The mazda 3 A/T and M/T both have 25 inboard splines so they will work with the focus tranny. I will disregard the focus hub outboard spline since that is what we are trying to get rid of. So with that being said, the mazda 3 hubs have 2 difference splines depending on if you have A/T or M/T so you will need cv axles to go with them. The A/T hubs have 28 outboard splines and the M/T hubs have 36 outboard splines. So for the front all you really need are the hubs and the cv axles to go with them (and wheel bearings because you will destroy them replacing the hubs). If you have a shop press its actually not to expensive, otherwise you will have to get the fronts pressed in at a shop and that will add to the cost.

Whether you are using mazda3 parts or new focus parts the list should still be the same.

Rear
-knuckle
-hub/spindle
-brake caliper and rotor

Front
-Hub
-CV axles
-Wheel bearings

And obviously you would need a set of 5x4.5" wheels to go with everything
Old 10-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 52 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Yeah you could do that. Outside of a v/8 swap, I'd leave it alone. if you want to do something, why not start on a another car to begin w/? How's your skill set w/ fabbing & being creative? = Do something like a rear engine, in a A body wgn or a motor set back, in a '66-'67 Fairlane/Chevelle. Or a twin motor setup in a '49-'52 gmc/chev pu or a '53-'56 ford pu. See if you can mod & fab parts & pieces for it w/o buying them.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 10-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
popwarhomie
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94974
What I Drive: 10 Focus coupe / 94 Lightning

FF Reputation: 1 popwarhomie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Pointless waste of money for no gain.
A lot of mods.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwarhomie View Post
Pointless waste of money for no gain.
QFT

You need to get a grip on your car as it sits now before you can start blazing a new path...

Lamenting that you can't afford new wheels in one thread to saying you want to do a full 5 lug conversion for ST wheels and brakes in another thread...
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #10
2010SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93835
What I Drive: 2010 Focus Se 1998 Ford F150

FF Reputation: 2 2010SVT Good Standing Member
Mac Mogul, you are nothing but negative on everything, please piss off. Anyway back on track. I'll probably just stick with the 5 lug swap in the future. In the future, something mac seems to not get, not like I plan on doing it tomorrow. And as posted up there by phestezio its really not that hard of a swap to do the 5 lug swap if I find a mazda 3. preferably with the auto since thats what I have. The main reason I want to do the swap is the availability of parts for the 5 lug vs the 4 lug focus pattern. Wheel options are slim to none. And I want to get some nice wheels like some work meisters or some volk te37's.
sedan revolution #215 2010 SE Sedan, SES conversion front and rear, Ksport coilovers, Fswerks CAI, 93 tune, Race header and flex pipe, stealth exhaust, upper front stress bar and engine cover.

Bookmarks & Social Networks