HOW-TO: SVT lower grill onto stock bumper - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
Tundrafoci
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96605
What I Drive: 2003 light tundra ZTS

FF Reputation: 5 Tundrafoci Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
HOW-TO: SVT lower grill onto stock bumper

So after a lot of searching, I found that the SVT honeycomb lower grill was able to be swapped onto a stock mk1 front bumper in place of the standard horizontal lines. I couldn't find a good write up so I thought I would do one and give back to the community who has helped me so much.
Parts needed:
SVT lower grill with mounting hardware (only 2 screws are needed)

Tools:
  • Hacksaw (Dremel would be even better but I didn't have one)
  • 8mm wrench or socket (for license plate yours may vary)
  • 7mm wrench or socket
  • 13 mm wrench or deep socket
  • Drill w/ 9/64" bit
  • File
  • Sharpie
  • Jackstands or Ramps (optional but will make everything way easier to get to)
  • Black paint (optional)

Step 1:
Raise the front end of your car and remove license plate with 8mm wrench or socket. size may vary

Step 2:
Unplug fog light wiring harness. There is a little clip you need to lift in order to remove it.

Step 3:
Grab that 17mm wrench or deep socket and remove the nut next to the fog light socket, as shown in picture.

Step 4: Unclip the metal clip holding the fog light to the grill and pop out the 3 plastic clips from the back.

Repeat steps 2-4 for the other side

Step 5:

You can now remove the foglights by pulling on the grill from the front corner on both sides.

Step 6:

Now get back under the car, along the lower edge and upper edge of the grill there is 4 semi-long clips that are molded into the grill. Remove the lower ones first as they are easier to get to and once those are removed you should easily be able to remove the others by pulling out the lower edge of the grill.

Step 9:

Now cut or dremel out the center of the old grill. Try and get as close to flush with the vertical line as you can. This is where a dremel would be superior but I managed to do just fine with a hacksaw and file. This should leave you with 3 pieces like this:

Step 8:
Now grab your SVT lower grill. In the exact center there is a screw hole. use a hacksaw or dremel to remove that. The picture below has the location circled

Step 9:
Now lay down your SVT grill on the center of the old grill and align the screw hole with the center vertical line. Mark the outer edges of the grill so you know where to cut on both sides. This will insure that both sides are of equal length.

Step 10:
Now cut where you marked on both sides
You should get something like this:

Step 11:

Now line up the now cut svt grill making sure to use the side with the plastic tabs as the "top" side of the grill. use the center screw hole, that you previously cut off, to align it with the center vertical line in the bumper marked red.You'll notice you can't fit it in due to the other two vertical lines in the bumper Marked in yellow.

Step 12:

Mark the locations of those vertical on the grill tabs with a sharpie. Then, using a file, slot the holes on the grill for the vertical lines. You should get something like this:

Test fit to make sure it fits then remove it.

Step 13:

Return the foglights to the mounts that you cut off from the old grill. Clip in the metal clip and pop them back into place. The three plastic clips should easily hold it in. Grab that nut you removed from the back and reinstall it to secure it in place. Do this for both sides.

Step 14:

Now you remember the mounting hardware that was needed? well nows the time to grab that and your drill with the 9/64" bit. Slide the now modified SVT bumper into place. The notches you made should hold it in while you are drilling. Drill a hole on each corner from up underneath the grill through the bumper and grill. (It will be entirely unnoticeable.) Use the mounting screws from the SVT grill and screw them into place.

Step 15:

You'll notice that screws stick through slightly. Grab that black paint and a paintbrush and paint that sucker. It will be invisible. Return license plate if applicable and lower car.

Step 16:
Stand back and enjoy your new front end.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
GreySkorpion
saved from the grave

Fan#: 94674
What I Drive: 2004 LG ZX5 2.3D

FF Reputation: 11 GreySkorpion Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Very nice write up!! I am now inspired, thank you!
Old 10-19-2013, 11:49 PM   #3
Mr.Bergner
coffee, have some

Fan#: 32799
What I Drive: 2004 TW Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 53 Mr.Bergner Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Nicely done, SVT grill looks so much better.
Hatch Nation #29_____________________________________________________________________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
Old 10-20-2013, 05:56 AM   #4
thenorm
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14947
What I Drive: '04 liquid grey ZX3, built for FSP

FF Reputation: 33 thenorm Great Standing Member
good work!.
I actually went the other way and got the euro version of the original grill with the horizontal slats so that i would match.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:39 AM   #5
GBPackFan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84314
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 3 GBPackFan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
AWWW SNAP!!!! I am happy to know that my old lower grille turned out looking damn good on your car!!! Now there are AT LEAST TWO people in Portland that have that same setup (Euro upper & SVT lower), what's SUPER ironic though, is that both cars are that Tundra color and both are '03's. Only difference is yours is a sedan and the other one is a wagon!! It looks real nice in there!!

BTW -off topic- Did you like that drive down the hill with your recently installed SVT suspension? I've been thinking of doing a Green Mountain Rd run for a while now; if you liked my road, you would LOVE Green Mtn Rd!!!
Current love affair: 2004 SVTF #953 (Josephina - pronounced hoe-se-fin-a)
RIP: 2002 SVTF #2358, Sent to graveyard on June 11, 2013. I will always remember the good times we had!!
This car made my hair go gray, and did not care.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
Tundrafoci
Focus Enthusiast

I loved the drive! Super fun road to live on! Never heard of green mt. Road but I'd be interested in going for a run!
Old 11-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
Tundrafoci
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorm View Post
good work!.
I actually went the other way and got the euro version of the original grill with the horizontal slats so that i would match.

I really like that to! Looks awesome. I just can't stand the way the turn signals are integrated into the us-spec grill. Looks tacky in my opinion.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:06 AM   #8
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6, 02 ZTS

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
I did this last year some time. Looks good with SVT lip too.

Sedan Revolution#13
Rally Revolution#99
Old 11-12-2013, 02:44 AM   #9
TerryB
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34559
What I Drive: Red '01 ZX3

FF Reputation: 67 TerryB Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Clean those fog lights bro.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #10
Tundrafoci
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryB View Post
Clean those fog lights bro.

I did while doing this mod, check out my build thread for more details. It wasn't pertinent info for this write up.

Bookmarks & Social Networks