Modding advice for a 2002 LX Sedan - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #11
FruitJuice
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119910
What I Drive: 2002 Twilight Blue LX

FF Reputation: 1 FruitJuice Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFocus86 View Post
Gotcha, well good luck with your sedan and welcome to the site!
Thank you very much

Last edited by FruitJuice; 11-03-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #12
Svizzara
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98554
What I Drive: '01 SPI Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Svizzara Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FruitJuice View Post
Just out of curiosity, what modification plans don't you agree on?
Well, you said that if you do get wheels, you want to re-use your existing tires. Definitely possible, but I don't think that'll improve aesthetics very much. You'll be limited to 14" wheels, and still be stuck with the stock tires - with their narrow width and big sidewalls.

I don't think I'm alone when I say that 17" is the ideal size for the MK1 - not too small, and not big enough to cause fitment problems or look disproportionate.

The SVT Focus came with 17" wheels from the factory, and they'll bolt right up to your car without any issues. Used sets often come up in the Wheels & Tires section of these forums. You can also look for used sets from other trim levels - the ZTS came with 16" wheels that look pretty nice. However, these and any other non-14" wheels will require new tires.

If I were in your position, I'd leave the wheels alone and save up, until I could afford a decent setup. I'd rather have the stock wheels/tires than settle for something I'm not entirely pleased with. However, that's all my opinion - as I said, it's your car/money, do as you please.

Quote:
Would it really run me $350 for a 2" lowering? That's definitely out of my budget, something that's going to have wait quite a while
Well, no. $350 is the bare minimum you'd need for lowering springs AND new shocks to match. You can just buy the springs for $175 - these are the ones I'm on (BTW, Tire Rack is a very reputable vendor - excellent service, very competitive prices, and they're a sponsor here on the forums):

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...1&autoModClar=

Those will make your car LOOK exactly as mine did, but it won't necessarily ride or perform the same. That's because I also got the matching shocks:

"Matching" means that they're valved properly to account for the new spring rates. You can certainly just use the new springs with your existing shocks, but they may wear out faster, and the ride quality/handling may not be on par with a car that has both the springs and the shocks.

Quote:
I'm loving your sedan. Hopefully this isn't a stupid question, but how would I go about making my turn signals and side markers clear?
Not a stupid question, no worries! The turn signals are integrated into the grille, so you have to buy an entirely new grille with the clear lenses installed. Re-use your existing bulbs. Luckily, this isn't a super expensive part:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FORD-FOCUS-20...vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

Same for the turn signals. Replace existing lenses with clear ones, re-use existing bulbs. Also not expensive:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/00-04-FORD-FO...vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

Just FYI - those sources might not be the best ones in terms of price and quality, I just did a quick eBay search to show you what I meant. I can't tell you which is the best source, because I bought mine second-hand.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #13
FruitJuice
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svizzara View Post
Well, you said that if you do get wheels, you want to re-use your existing tires. Definitely possible, but I don't think that'll improve aesthetics very much. You'll be limited to 14" wheels, and still be stuck with the stock tires - with their narrow width and big sidewalls.

I don't think I'm alone when I say that 17" is the ideal size for the MK1 - not too small, and not big enough to cause fitment problems or look disproportionate.

The SVT Focus came with 17" wheels from the factory, and they'll bolt right up to your car without any issues. Used sets often come up in the Wheels & Tires section of these forums. You can also look for used sets from other trim levels - the ZTS came with 16" wheels that look pretty nice. However, these and any other non-14" wheels will require new tires.

If I were in your position, I'd leave the wheels alone and save up, until I could afford a decent setup. I'd rather have the stock wheels/tires than settle for something I'm not entirely pleased with. However, that's all my opinion - as I said, it's your car/money, do as you please.
Because of what you said here, I've decided not to get new wheels. I'm going to wait until I have saved up enough to purchase my ideal wheels along with new tires to fit them, and I will most likely go with 17" as you suggested.

Although, I really don't like the look of my current hubcaps so I decided to purchase some new ones:

They were pretty cheap and were highly reviewed. I plan on removing the chrome and painting them black. I'll post a picture when I finish them up and put them on.

Quote:
Well, no. $350 is the bare minimum you'd need for lowering springs AND new shocks to match. You can just buy the springs for $175 - these are the ones I'm on (BTW, Tire Rack is a very reputable vendor - excellent service, very competitive prices, and they're a sponsor here on the forums):

Those will make your car LOOK exactly as mine did, but it won't necessarily ride or perform the same. That's because I also got the matching shocks:

"Matching" means that they're valved properly to account for the new spring rates. You can certainly just use the new springs with your existing shocks, but they may wear out faster, and the ride quality/handling may not be on par with a car that has both the springs and the shocks.
Thanks for the links, although it's probably going to be a while until I get around to lowering my car due to costs.

Quote:
Not a stupid question, no worries! The turn signals are integrated into the grille, so you have to buy an entirely new grille with the clear lenses installed. Re-use your existing bulbs. Luckily, this isn't a super expensive part:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FORD-FOCUS-20...vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

Same for the turn signals. Replace existing lenses with clear ones, re-use existing bulbs. Also not expensive:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/00-04-FORD-FO...vxp=mtr&_uhb=1
Once again thanks for the links, I'll probably be purchasing both of these parts in the near future. :)
Old 10-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #14
replica81
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88615
What I Drive: 05 ST

FF Reputation: 3 replica81 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The first thing I'd be concerned with is the SPI motor. I'm not entirely sure, but a junkyard Zetec motor is around $350 or so. Next up, I'd just do the SVT suspension kit. At around $300, you'll get a suspension setup including springs/struts and a rear swaybar. For the cost, nothing comes close. I'm not sure why so many of the SVT Focus owners lower their cars and make them handle worse than they did stock. That factory setup is perfect.
SR #272
Beer and Metal.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #15
Malibooya
Quarter Tank Racer

Fan#: 68054
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 Malibooya Good Standing Member
Save your money.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #16
FruitJuice
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibooya View Post
Save your money.
Wasn't quite the advice I was looking for but thanks.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #17
Malibooya
Quarter Tank Racer

Fan#: 68054
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 Malibooya Good Standing Member
Quote:
Wasn't quite the advice I was looking for but thanks.
You aren't going to get anything worthwhile out of a severely limited budget; therefore, instead of stretching yourself financially, I suggest you save your money and mod things when you have more to play with.

Or wait for things to break, then replace them with better items.

Bookmarks & Social Networks