Modding advice for a 2002 LX Sedan - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
FruitJuice
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119910
What I Drive: 2002 Twilight Blue LX

FF Reputation: 1 FruitJuice Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Modding advice for a 2002 LX

Hey everyone,

Let me just start off by saying that I am fairly new to car modding, but slowly learning. I'm looking to mod my car aesthetically but have no idea of what else I can do so I'm coming to you guys for advice. Any advice on anything that you think would make the car look better would be appreciated. I am on some sort of a budget so I won't be able to make any high-priced mods.

What I have done already:

- Polishing/waxing
- Tinted windows (35% driver & passenger, 20% back and rear windshield)
- Removed "Focus" lettering on the trunk (Planning to replace it with different lettering)
- Installed 5-panel wink mirror
- Installed subs

What I plan to do:

- Get new wheels (I'm searching and haven't decided on a color)
- Pop out the dent on the trunk
- Fix the crack on the front bumper

Last edited by FruitJuice; 11-03-2013 at 12:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
JPFocus86
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115084
What I Drive: 2005 InfraRed ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 JPFocus86 Good Standing Member
It's up to you what you really want to do, but wheels and a mild drop would certainly be enough in my opinion. How many miles are on it? Being an LX with the SPI motor, I would also start looking into re-manufactured heads in order to fix the valve seat issue. So you'll probably want to factor that into your budget as well.

Current: InfraRed 2005 ST

SR #279
Old 10-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
FruitJuice
Focus Rookie

It's got about 175k miles on it, so I don't plan on dropping a whole lot of cash into it. I don't know the first thing about lowering a car, is there a link you could provide possibly?
Old 10-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
JPFocus86
Focus Enthusiast

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=61959<-- This should get you started, and as always, google is your friend.

You mentioned you didn't want to drop a lot of money into it, but you want to do wheels, tires, and suspension? These SPI cars are known to be reliable, if taken care of properly, so if I was you I'd invest in a cylinder head (valves on these motors tend to drop, but remanufactured heads are generally improved to fix the valve seat problem) and worry about how my car looks later. But again, that's just my opinion.

Here's a link for one of those heads: http://www.shop.headsonly.com/FORD-F...US-20-SOHC.htm

Not sure how good the price is from that distributor, maybe somebody else knows a better site to order off of.

SR #279
Old 10-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
FruitJuice
Focus Rookie

I was planning on purchasing used wheels from somewhere such as Craigslist or my local Jalopy Jungle and restoring them to save money. I wasn't planning on purchasing new tires either, I was hoping that I could find wheels that would fit my current tires. And suspension in the last thing on my list at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, I have spent quite a few days performing under-the-hood (and under the car) maintenance to keep my vehicle running like it should, and I will definitely look into the valve seat issue. Keeping my car running like it should is my top priority.

Thanks for the links.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
JPFocus86
Focus Enthusiast

Gotcha, well good luck with your sedan and welcome to the site!

SR #279
Old 10-18-2013, 12:10 AM   #7
Svizzara
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98554
What I Drive: '01 SPI Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Svizzara Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
sweet, I finally have a twin on the forums! lol welcome! my car is also a Twilight Blue sedan, but it's a 2001 SE. and the body isn't nearly as straight as yours, to say the least lol

I'm assuming you have the SPI engine (don't know if the LX could be had with the Zetec)

if you do, JP is right about the valve seat issue being your #1 concern, especially with 175K miles. I'm surprised you've made it that long. most of them die out around 120K, as can be seen here:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254262

a new cylinder head will do the trick, the link JP provided is fine. very reputable business from what I've heard, I plan to buy from them as well. here's a link to the same head, but where only the valve seats have been corrected - the rest of the valvetrain (camshaft, lifters, rocker arms) is carried over since those aren't defective. $50 cheaper this way

http://www.shop.headsonly.com/FORD-F...ALVES-ONLY.htm

once that's out of the way, you can carry on with peace of mind.

I don't agree with your modification plans, but it's not my money/car. and I can definitely understand that you're on a tight budget. all I will say is that the "big 3" in terms of aesthetics is commonly agreed upon as: tint, lowering, and wheels - in that order, since it's the ascending order for cost lol

here's some photos of my car to show you what I mean and for some inspiration I suppose (that sounds kinda cocky I realize. shameless plug? lol). since we do have the exact same vehicle, visually at least.

I would also look to TheGlassMaker, J0EC00L, norcalfocus01, and djwrg04 for great examples of sedans on this forum. That's just off the top of my head, probably more if you spend some time searching around

stock:

tint and lowered 2" -- $350 for new shocks/springs would get you about here, since you already have tint

with wheels and clear turn signals/side markers

maybe you see what I'm saying about the big 3? I think those are the critical things to do and anything further is just icing on the cake. anyway, I'll shut up now, nice to see you here, great to have a twin!
Old 10-18-2013, 12:47 AM   #8
ST 2K5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 44631
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black SE Sedan 5speed

FF Reputation: 6 ST 2K5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFocus86 View Post

You mentioned you didn't want to drop a lot of money into it, but you want to do wheels, tires, and suspension?
Were did he mention he wants to do his suspension?
Old 10-18-2013, 06:02 AM   #9
JPFocus86
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST 2K5 View Post
Were did he mention he wants to do his suspension?
I mentioned doing a mild drop, which the OP wanted more info on

SR #279
Old 10-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
FruitJuice
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svizzara View Post
I don't agree with your modification plans, but it's not my money/car. and I can definitely understand that you're on a tight budget. all I will say is that the "big 3" in terms of aesthetics is commonly agreed upon as: tint, lowering, and wheels - in that order, since it's the ascending order for cost lol
Just out of curiosity, what modification plans don't you agree on? The only big modification that I have planned is to get new wheels which seems to be something you agree on. Other than that I wanna fix some body issues like the big crack on the front bumper and the dent on the trunk which I feel are very noticeable and are important things to get fixed.

Quote:
tint and lowered 2" -- $350 for new shocks/springs would get you about here, since you already have tint

Would it really run me $350 for a 2" lowering? That's definitely out of my budget, something that's going to have wait quite a while :(

Quote:
with wheels and clear turn signals/side markers

I'm loving your sedan. Hopefully this isn't a stupid question, but how would I go about making my turn signals and side markers clear?

By the way, thanks for the warm welcome :)

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->