Custom Cargo-Cover Fiberglass Enclosure - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #21
Vince
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115058
What I Drive: 2012, Black Tit X

FF Reputation: 1 Vince Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Being an Ex bass head myself (Before I cracked 3 windscreens in my old fiesta)

What sub you planning to use? =)
Might be a good idea to use wooden braces inside the box.

As for rattling, I think thin strips of material (edging dorm) will be just fine, I believe the Boot Lid pushes down on the shielf when closed? =)

All the best
Vince
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #22
DVolpe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89714
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Focus

FF Reputation: 2 DVolpe Good Standing Member
I am using a 12" MTX Blue Thunder sub. Dont know too much fine detail about subwoofers, my friend gave me 2 of these a while ago. But i do now MTX is somehwat good. Here is and image of the Subs. (im only using one)

What part would you suggest framing out of wood? I have the MDF speaker ring and wood mounts to hold up the ring inside the enclosure.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #23
Vince
Focus Enthusiast

I don't new too much about them subs (I'm uk)

Mdf is perfect. :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using FF Mobile
Old 10-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #24
American Henchman
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107314
What I Drive: 2011, Black, SES

FF Reputation: 1 American Henchman Good Standing Member
1.) great idea and a nice start. but you will need more fiberglass cloth. the fleece will not supply the rigidity it needs. you can add the cloth to the underside of the fleece to help eliminate sanding. but you will probably want 5-6 layers of fiberglass.

2.) Fiberglass resin is a caustic carcinogenic chemical and should be worked with in a well ventilated area. not in a kitchen. I would also only work with it when i was wearing a mask rated for organic and chemical compounds. such as a duel charcoal filtered mask for asbestos. why run the risks?

3.) i would worry about the weight issues and the support of the enclosure over the trunk space. you might have to add some cross bracing to allow it to bridge like that or you could end up with a lot of bouncing and noise coming from it.

all in all it was a good place to start and if this is your first time with fiberglass awesome. it becomes a really neat material to work with, and is a gateway drug to carbon fiber.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #25
DVolpe
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Henchman View Post
1.) great idea and a nice start. but you will need more fiberglass cloth. the fleece will not supply the rigidity it needs. you can add the cloth to the underside of the fleece to help eliminate sanding. but you will probably want 5-6 layers of fiberglass.

2.) Fiberglass resin is a caustic carcinogenic chemical and should be worked with in a well ventilated area. not in a kitchen. I would also only work with it when i was wearing a mask rated for organic and chemical compounds. such as a duel charcoal filtered mask for asbestos. why run the risks?

3.) i would worry about the weight issues and the support of the enclosure over the trunk space. you might have to add some cross bracing to allow it to bridge like that or you could end up with a lot of bouncing and noise coming from it.

all in all it was a good place to start and if this is your first time with fiberglass awesome. it becomes a really neat material to work with, and is a gateway drug to carbon fiber.
1) I was thinking about adding some more fiberglass to the bottom around the outside frame. There is two layers of Fiberglass on the inside of the fleece on the bottom

I do have some fiberglass cloth and resign let over, I guess I might as we use it. Less sanding will be great!

2) It was pouring outside and it was my only free weekend for while. I had two fans blowing the fumes to the window and one fan sucking them out the window. if i had the choice i would have done it outside but inside was my only option. I tried my best to make it not so lethal haha

3)Is this the cross bracing area you are talking about?
Old 10-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #26
American Henchman
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107314
What I Drive: 2011, Black, SES

FF Reputation: 1 American Henchman Good Standing Member
the cross bracing in my opinion along the front edge is good but to add a little better. go from top left corner to bottom right and bottom left to top right. i understand the having to make do while it rains. i have 6 box fans that i will lower my garage door down onto to i can suck the air out of my garage when i was repairing a painting a body kit for my old car.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #27
DVolpe
Focus Enthusiast

I will add more to the front edge and some more form corner to corner. It is already very strong but that is also without the heavy speaker in it. Thanks for the advice Henchman! First time working with fiberglass so all advice helps
Old 10-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #28
Vince
Focus Enthusiast

For a first timer, looks like you've done a sound job :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using FF Mobile
Old 10-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #29
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Fan#: 66026
What I Drive: '06 WRX Wagon 285whp/292wtq

FF Reputation: 8 ViperThreat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I only see a few issues with this:

1. Arent you creating a blind-spot for yourself? You are definitely gong to lose some visibility out of your rear window.

2. Is your rear window tinted? If its not, you are basically advertising your equipment for thiefs.

3. As others mentioned, its going to rattle like all hell if the knob is cranked up. Do you have any plans to help secure it more tightly?
Old 10-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #30
DVolpe
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperThreat View Post
I only see a few issues with this:

1. Arent you creating a blind-spot for yourself? You are definitely gong to lose some visibility out of your rear window.

2. Is your rear window tinted? If its not, you are basically advertising your equipment for thiefs.

3. As others mentioned, its going to rattle like all hell if the knob is cranked up. Do you have any plans to help secure it more tightly?
1) i put it on the side with the windshield wiper and the highest point pops over the windshield wiper less than an inch so it doesn't cover up much, I can still see so much more than having the ridiculous OEM headrests on

2) I have about 25% and I'm putting a speaker cover over it so visibility of it will be very slim

3)I'm adding thin 1/6" foam weatherstripping plus I'm putting back the OEM cushions in the back that rest on the back door

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile now Free

Bookmarks & Social Networks