Custom Cargo-Cover Fiberglass Enclosure - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #11
dpando1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92144
What I Drive: 2012, Grey, Focus SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 2 dpando1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVolpe View Post
No the fleece absorbs the resin the same as fiberglass does. It's the same as fiberglass, the fleece just makes a better shape. It is very sturdy
True it absorbs the resin like fiberglass but the strength comes from adding layers of fiberglass in different directions, not the resin itself.

but hey if it works no need to fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #12
DVolpe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89714
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Focus

FF Reputation: 2 DVolpe Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpando1 View Post
True it absorbs the resin like fiberglass but the strength comes from adding layers of fiberglass in different directions, not the resin itself.

but hey if it works no need to fix it.
Yes I can see how you are right about the overlapping over fiberglass make it stronger than just plain fleece. And I have added a bunch of fiberglass cloth to the edges to make a sturdy frame. But for the majority of the flat surfaces I used the fleece to cover a large amount while saving money. These large areas are still solid and sturdy probly not as strong as areas of overlapped fiberglass like you said. Thanks for the heads up though!

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile now Free
Old 10-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #13
FamousMassacre
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104066
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 FamousMassacre Good Standing Member
How are you going to seal that to the rest of the box so there is no air leakage? Keeping it mounted like that would be similar to an Infinite Baffle box for sound quality but with the location, I doubt you're doing an SQ build.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #14
CunFFS13
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 117411
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Ford Focus S MT

FF Reputation: 5 CunFFS13 Good Standing Member
Any picture of the final result?
Old 10-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #15
dpando1
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousMassacre View Post
How are you going to seal that to the rest of the box so there is no air leakage? Keeping it mounted like that would be similar to an Infinite Baffle box for sound quality but with the location, I doubt you're doing an SQ build.
Following the pictures he sealed both sides. The first was the bottom which he used the bowl to make fitment for the back of the speaker, then flipped it over and erected the flushmount mdf ring.

This is a pretty badass idea. The only reason I haven't done a fiberglass build is well okay first because of money but besides that I would find it extremelly difficult to provide the exact amount of space in the enclosure for the subwoofer.

SO many cool things you can do with fiberglass...

You should sand it down makin it baby smooth for some high gloss paint the color of your car!
Old 10-16-2013, 10:53 PM   #16
DVolpe
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunFFS13 View Post
Any picture of the final result?
I have only added a first round of bondo so far since this post and there will be a couple more applications of bondo I fill up all holes and to make it as smooth as possible. But this weekend I'm heading down to Bush Gardens in Williamsburg for a vacation. I'm excited to vacation but bummed I have to purify my project haha

Old 10-16-2013, 10:58 PM   #17
DVolpe
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Following the pictures he sealed both sides. The first was the bottom which he used the bowl to make fitment for the back of the speaker, then flipped it over and erected the flushmount mdf ring.

You should sand it down makin it baby smooth for some high gloss paint the color of your car!
Yep you pretty much nailed it. And yea it turned out a lot more expensive than I thought. I need a lot more resin and fiberglass cloth than I thought. My $30 easy/fun project quickly turned expensive and difficult. There is not enough space needed for the subwoofer to function at it peak so that is why I have the polyester stuffing. You stuff the inside and it tricks the woofer into thinking it is in twice the amount of room it really is.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:22 PM   #18
dpando1
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVolpe View Post
Yep you pretty much nailed it. And yea it turned out a lot more expensive than I thought. I need a lot more resin and fiberglass cloth than I thought. My $30 easy/fun project quickly turned expensive and difficult. There is not enough space needed for the subwoofer to function at it peak so that is why I have the polyester stuffing. You stuff the inside and it tricks the woofer into thinking it is in twice the amount of room it really is.
Honestly I have tried that with a sub/enclosure that was lended to me in the meantime for me to get my sub and it didn't work at all....so I'm curious has it worked out for you? The stuffing it with polyester part

and you know you could probably cutout the bottom and redo that part. When I was planning on making an enclosure out of fiberglass I found online the idea to get packing peanuts in a bag the size you need the enclosure to be and using that as a gauge for how much room you will need inside.

I wholeheartedly support this project..SO much respect for those who are willing to venture out and do shit themselves...oh and ofcourse posting it online for others to see
Old 10-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #19
DVolpe
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Honestly I have tried that with a sub/enclosure that was lended to me in the meantime for me to get my sub and it didn't work at all....so I'm curious has it worked out for you? The stuffing it with polyester part

I wholeheartedly support this project..SO much respect for those who are willing to venture out and do shit themselves...oh and ofcourse posting it online for others to see
I have used the polyester stuffing before and it worked great. On my last car an old Honda Odyssey

6096_113286183557_1101069_n by davevolpe, on Flickr

I had to stuff this one since there was not a lot of room. I am also not looking for crazy bass I just want a little more louder and more rumble than my stock setup. And also a little bit of style too always love doing DIY projects. Thanks for the support!!
Old 10-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #20
bama_focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117648
What I Drive: 2012 focus sedan sel

FF Reputation: 2 bama_focus Good Standing Member
This is so awesome.. reminds me of the boxes they used to make on pimp my ride but way less gaudy. Props to you kind sir.

Bookmarks & Social Networks