seat swapping to increase headroom - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
kaptinkool
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 117384
What I Drive: 2004 light green Ford Focus ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 kaptinkool Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
seat swapping to increase headroom

I am about 6'5" tall and find that driving for 10 hours at a time in my 2004 focus zx5 is literally killing my back. What I am wondering is if it is possible to take a seat out of another car, say, from a junk yard, and put it in there. Say, one that sits lower, like a seat from a dodge dart or something.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
02fordsvt
Meh.

Fan#: 84654
What I Drive: 2002 SVT, 2001 SE (Rusty)

FF Reputation: 49 02fordsvt Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Your probably better off looking at aftermarket seats. Each car and manufacturer tends to use different seat mounting points so it will be hard to find a "plug and play" seat without having to custom fabricate a mounting frame.
Hatch Nation #13 : Rally Revolution #13 : ROTM Jan '13
It's Bryan, not Brian
RSVT-170 Build in Progress
Derusting Rusty Build in Progress
Old 10-16-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 22 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
how is a seat that sits lower going to be beneficial to your back? Sounds like you need a seat that is better bolstered and/or that has more lumbar support.

Have you tried sitting in any other focus seats? SVT seats will be more comfortable and better bolstered than base model seats. Any seat from 00-07 (maybe 2nd gens too, not sure) will be a direct bolt up replacement (not 100% plug an play though with your current wiring harness.) As far as sitting lower, the stock seat i just took out of my 07 sat lower than the svt recaro i just put in its place. The old seat had far less support and was not nearly as comfortable but had me lower to the ground. I'm 6'1 and had lots of head room with the old seat and still plenty wiht the new one.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
One other possibility is to take off the seat bottom and recut the foam in it.
The seat bottom is only held on by plastic zip seams and (perhaps yes, maybe not) metal clips.
Getting it off and back on can be a little challenging.. but once off the foam can be sculpted to make it fit you arse better.
I redid the seat bottm on my 1999 Contour SVT (bought new) and used it happily for 13 years. I made it more 'bucket' and added some side bolsters to stiffen the sides.
(way more like my current Focus SE sport seats!!)
Just an ordinary but really sharp knife is all you need.
Also if you want a part of the seat to be softer: drill holes in the foam.

Last edited by Elizabeth; 10-16-2013 at 06:44 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks