Alternator whine - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
toilet2000
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98863
What I Drive: 2005 Black ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 toilet2000 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Alternator whine

My alternator is new from this year (went out during winter). But there's a strange whine coming from it, RPM dependent. It gets higher both in intensity and pitch with the RPM. Seems to be worse when it's cold. I heard somewhere that maybe it's a bad contact with ground...

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
Leora83
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 69136
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 chrome yellow

FF Reputation: 1 Leora83 Good Standing Member
The whining would be mechanical, not electrical. Pop the hood and have someone rev the engine while you listen...preferably with a stethoscope to isolate where the sound is coming from. I would bet the bearings are already going.

Sadly, new alternators seem to be prone to failure. Search the forum here for alternator issues and you'll see how many others have put in new ones two or three times before getting a good one.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
toilet2000
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

i'll try that! a friend told me that a long screwdriver can be used as a stethoscope... I hope it is not the alternator... on those engine it is a real pain removing it!
Old 10-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
drewts86
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72974
What I Drive: 2004 Burgundy ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 drewts86 Good Standing Member
Next time get your alternator rebuilt rather than getting one from the parts store seeing as how most of them are manufactured in China. A local shop in the business of rebuilding an alternator will tend to use better parts for the rebuild seeing as how they cannot afford to have you come back to warranty any issues. The Chinese reman'd units use cheaper parts because they're trying to cut costs and aren't affected monetarily nearly as much by warranty returned alternators.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
toilet2000
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

it's a locally rebuilt alternator... from a shop. He even made me a price, 179.99 CA$.

I listened to the alt... Nothing strange. In fact, I think it may come from my power steering pump instead, heard about them making a noise. My power steering fluid went up in the reservoir...

and off topic, those ford alt, 450$ for a new, abuse?!
Old 10-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
Leora83
Focus Enthusiast

Local rebuild=mint. I find a local guy tends to stand by his work.

Yes, the alternator is a pain. Try loosening the passenger side engine mount and jacking up the frame to get a bit of extra room.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #7
toilet2000
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

i used another technique for this. you remove the bolt of the rear engine mount and push the rear of the engine down. it gives more space to remove the alt between the firewall and the drive axle, works like a charm (kinda, still a pain in the neck to remove that unholy thing)
Old 10-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #8
FocusKnot
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117505
What I Drive: 2004 Red SE Wagon 2.0 Zetec Auto

FF Reputation: 3 FocusKnot Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by toilet2000 View Post
I think it may come from my power steering pump instead, heard about them making a noise. My power steering fluid went up in the reservoir...
If the PS fluid level went up, then you may be sucking air into the system.

Is the PS fluid in the reservoir foamy? ...you have to check it with the engine running as the bubbles soon disappear after shutting the engine off.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #9
Leora83
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by toilet2000 View Post
i used another technique for this. you remove the bolt of the rear engine mount and push the rear of the engine down. it gives more space to remove the alt between the firewall and the drive axle, works like a charm (kinda, still a pain in the neck to remove that unholy thing)
Huh, never tried it that way, but that sounds like it would work even better. Assuming I could move the mount bolt, that is.

Love the engine design that calls for putting it all together then lowering the frame onto it...which is most of them now. Very convenient for home mechanics!

Bookmarks & Social Networks