Titanium Suspension and tire wear - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
Asquared69
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110833
What I Drive: 2012 tuxedo black titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Asquared69 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Titanium Suspension and tire wear

I am owner of a 2012 Focus Titanium with 18inch sport package. I am going on my 4th set of tires and only have 35000 miles. Now I am being told that the sport suspension package on the Titanium is really not proper for these size tires and that I should upgrade the suspension. I am in the greater Detroit area. It seems that every 5 to 6000 mikles the car loses its alignment. This is getting costly and frustrating. Any suggestions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 13,285, Level 75
Points: 13,285, Level: 75 Points: 13,285, Level: 75 Points: 13,285, Level: 75
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 30%
Activity: 30% Activity: 30% Activity: 30%
FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Are you having a DEALER do the alignments?
Or some tire place?

I ask because if it is a tire place you may be getting scammed.
I cannot tell you how many tire places (a LOT) will just baldface LIE to you about needing new tires..

It is true Summer only tire wear fast. But they are also the target of tire crooks at tire places. they WANT your half-worn Summer high performance tires. So they lie to you and tell you the tires on your car are no good and you MUST get new ones.. etc.

IMO Summer only high performance tires usually last under 20,000 and can be needing replacement at 15,000.

Selling you tires when you can still drive 5,000/10,000 miles on them?
Old 10-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
Gi_Jo_Nathan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98931
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue 5Door MTX

Points 368, Level 7
Points: 368, Level: 7 Points: 368, Level: 7 Points: 368, Level: 7
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 Gi_Jo_Nathan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asquared69 View Post
I am owner of a 2012 Focus Titanium with 18inch sport package. I am going on my 4th set of tires and only have 35000 miles. Now I am being told that the sport suspension package on the Titanium is really not proper for these size tires and that I should upgrade the suspension. I am in the greater Detroit area. It seems that every 5 to 6000 mikles the car loses its alignment. This is getting costly and frustrating. Any suggestions.
You have the handling package, and they want you to "upgrade" it... yeah something's not right..
12 SE HB MTX, IE Tuned, Snorkel DLT, Green Filter(Gray), custom 2.5" cat-back w/borla, Steeda RSB & Short Shift Bracket, JBR Solid Shifter Bushing's, MS3 RMM w/Corksport Inserts, Ti Heads, Redline Tuning Hood Struts, De-chromed
Old 10-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
Leora83
Focus Addict

Fan#: 69136
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 chrome yellow

Points 448, Level 8
Points: 448, Level: 8 Points: 448, Level: 8 Points: 448, Level: 8
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Leora83 Good Standing Member
Unless you're offroading, curbing it regularly, or have busted suspension parts (which would make it impossible to actually align your car), there is no way your alignment should be going out that often. Heck, it's not even winter yet--wait till you have snow to drive through with hidden potholes and road rocks.
I have never heard of upgrading the suspension to fit the tires except for the high-jack/super-low crowd. Your tires should be a size recommended by the car manufacturer for your vehicle, and if they are, then you're being scammed. Either the alignment shop is doing a really bad job on purpose so you have to buy more tires, or they're just incompetent.
I knew one place that charged for alignments but never actually did them. Occasionally they'd tell you that you needed ball joints or tie rods to make extra money, but they never even put the car on the rack to check it. Amazing...

I would suggest to go to your dealer and ask why a one-year-old car won't hold an alignment. And don't let them fob you off with excuses about other places--your suspension parts should all still be under warranty.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:41 AM   #5
wilsonfocus86
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23099
What I Drive: 14 Fusion 2.0

FF Reputation: 3 wilsonfocus86 Good Standing Member
Quote:
I am owner of a 2012 Focus Titanium with 18inch sport package. I am going on my 4th set of tires and only have 35000 miles. I am in the greater Detroit area. It seems that every 5 to 6000 mikles the car loses its alignment. This is getting costly and frustrating. Any suggestions.
Exact same setup. I drove my car until 26,000 miles (Florida, Michigan, Louisiana - I've moved around a lot) and took real good of the car the time I owned it before I traded it in last month, with the tires with okay tread still; though they needed changing real soon.

Something's not adding up with your situation.......
Old 10-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,219, Level 35
Points: 3,219, Level: 35 Points: 3,219, Level: 35 Points: 3,219, Level: 35
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
I am owner of a 2012 Focus Titanium with 18inch sport package. I am going on my 4th set of tires and only have 35000 miles. Now I am being told that the sport suspension package on the Titanium is really not proper for these size tires and that I should upgrade the suspension.
Hi Asquared69,

Are you currently experiencing symptoms? Also, have you had these concerns diagnosed by a Ford Dealer? Let me know & I'll look into next steps.

Todd

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 10-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
JPopNC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88327
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Titanium H-back

Points 1,252, Level 19
Points: 1,252, Level: 19 Points: 1,252, Level: 19 Points: 1,252, Level: 19
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 JPopNC Good Standing Member
2012 Ti owner here with handling package with 33,000 miles on mine. Bought mine in August 2011 and just put on my first set of new tires on this past July. Drive my car very aggressive and didn't rotate them as often as I should have and yet they still wore well.

Live in NC and the roads are pretty well taken care of, not a lot of potholes and such so there are no outside means to knocking it out of alignment.

I'm in agreement with the others, either the place you're taking it to is scamming you or there's something seriously wrong with your car.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
Asquared69
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110833
What I Drive: 2012 tuxedo black titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Asquared69 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordService View Post
Hi Asquared69,

Are you currently experiencing symptoms? Also, have you had these concerns diagnosed by a Ford Dealer? Let me know & I'll look into next steps.

Todd
I have maxe the dealer aware of the problem and was told suspension is fine and avoid pot holes. But I have called them again today a d going to call Ford direct now. Thank you for fhe support and will keep you posted. I feel it is a suspsnsion problem because the steering seems lose.
Thank you
Old 10-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #9
Phestezio
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97562
What I Drive: 2007 Oxford White ZX3

Points 1,268, Level 19
Points: 1,268, Level: 19 Points: 1,268, Level: 19 Points: 1,268, Level: 19
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 4 Phestezio Good Standing Member
yeah i'll say the same thing there has to be something seriously wrong with the suspension of the car to be wearing tires out that fast regardless of weather conditions or tire compound, to wear tires out that fast on a good car you would need to be running track slicks or something with an extremely low treadwear for racing and i'm sure they didn't put those on from the factory and i'm sure you didn't dish out the money for a set 3 times, i sell tires for a living and almost all stock tires from the factory are designed to wear out after 30k-40k, so the fact that your on your 4th set when you should just be wearing out your first set is a big red light. i would do some research in your area and figure out which is the best ford dealer to go to for service work, i live in charleston and there are about 7 ford dealerships within a 20 mile radius and 2 of those i wouldn't trust to work on my bicycle, so i would figure out a good ford dealer to go to in your area that you can trust and stick with them even if its not the dealer you bought the car from, at least until the warranty runs out then find a very honest respectable shop in your area, but if they can't figure it out eventually i would try and get them to take it back and get you a new car for practically no cost... they could sell you that car for ALOT cheaper than you would think they could... you would be surprised how little they spend to make each car
Old 10-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #10
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 24,312, Level 94
Points: 24,312, Level: 94 Points: 24,312, Level: 94 Points: 24,312, Level: 94
Level Up 97% Completed
Level up: 97% Level up: 97% Level up: 97%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Holy mother of run-on sentences...
2014 FiST-

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.