iPhone 5 and a '10 Ford Focus Sync, other computer issues - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-14-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
gordol
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115538
What I Drive: 2010 Black SE

FF Reputation: 1 gordol Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
iPhone 5 and a '10 Ford Focus Sync, other computer issues

I have a used '10 Focus SE that I bought in June, it came with 58k miles on it, and it now has 61~62k miles. Since money was extremely tight when I bought it, I turned down the dealer's extended warranty so, so far as I know, I'm on my own financially speaking for any repairs. And I think I now have a couple of issues that may be related...

The first is the Sync. I've got my iPhone 5 paired with the car, and there are a couple of issues there:

Periodically, with no pattern I can discern, the car will forget that it was left on Bluetooth Audio, so randomly when I start the car it'll play the FM radio instead of connecting to the phone. I can then press the Media button and tell it to go to Bluetooth Audio, and it'll connect. But now, it will not autoplay. In fact, no controls on the car will control the playback from the phone anymore. Play/Pause and FF/RW do not work. I have to do this from the phone now, which can be annoying if/when the phone display has turned off or if/when I'm using a navigation application. I have not tried to make a phone call since this started so I don't know if I can control the phone from the steering wheel.

A few weeks ago, near the end of a ~200 mile drive I stopped for gas, and when I started the car up again, the media was on the wrong source again, and it would not respond to voice control but the "media" button was able to cycle through all available inputs including BT, and at that time the playback controls worked.

The other issue is with the cruise control. At US Route speeds (45~65) rather than Interstate speeds (65+), when on cruise control and going down a slight decline, the car will feel like one or more cylinders are having a spark issue, a feeling I'm too familiar with from the car this one replaced (a 10+ year old Mazda with a Ford engine). No codes were thrown, and that's the only time it happens. Best guess on my part and the part of an Autozone parts guy is that it's the cruise control system not knowing what to do when the car's speed is just at the point where power will make it go too fast and coasting will make it go too slow to maintain the set speed.

I'm wondering if the two sets of issues (Sync and CC) are related or if I have two separate issues. (I don't know if the two systems are working off the same computer or separate computers.) And what to do about them.

I did update the Sync software shortly after I bought the car.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 87765
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 2,174, Level 28
Points: 2,174, Level: 28 Points: 2,174, Level: 28 Points: 2,174, Level: 28
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 3 FordIVTteam Good Standing Member
Hi, gordol,

The best people to determine if the two are related would be your dealership. I suggest making an appointment with them to have these checked. Also, if you updated your iPhone to iOS 7, you may have issues controlling your phone via the steering wheel controls. Support is aware of this and investigating.

Rebecca

p: 800.392.FORD (Prompts 1 then 3)
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 10-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
gordol
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam View Post
Hi, gordol,

The best people to determine if the two are related would be your dealership. I suggest making an appointment with them to have these checked. Also, if you updated your iPhone to iOS 7, you may have issues controlling your phone via the steering wheel controls. Support is aware of this and investigating.

Rebecca
Do the two systems run on the same computer?

I did update to iOS7 almost immediately (weeks ago), but the control problem only started a couple days ago.

If/when an update to Sync is released, will it include the Mk2 Focus, and will owners be notified? I did register my car on the Ford web site.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 87765
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 2,174, Level 28
Points: 2,174, Level: 28 Points: 2,174, Level: 28 Points: 2,174, Level: 28
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 3 FordIVTteam Good Standing Member
I don't know if they are on the same module; that's something your dealership will be able to answer for you. As far as updates, you'll get a notification in your email when one is available for download on your SYNC account, but I cannot speculate on which vehicles will receive updates and when.

Rebecca

p: 800.392.FORD (Prompts 1 then 3)
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 10-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

Points 12,819, Level 73
Points: 12,819, Level: 73 Points: 12,819, Level: 73 Points: 12,819, Level: 73
Level Up 93% Completed
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%
Forum Activity 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%
FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Moved to "Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics".
Old 10-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

Points 3,881, Level 39
Points: 3,881, Level: 39 Points: 3,881, Level: 39 Points: 3,881, Level: 39
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
If you haven't registered your car on owner.ford.com yet, you should do so to ensure that you have the latest version of SYNC installed. It sounds to me like you've got the old version because some users complained that the automatic bluetooth link was draining their batteries so Ford disabled it. Stupid? Yes, but I have the latest version installed and have been using iOS 7 since day one with zero problems. I have not had any problems since syncing my iPhone 5S either.

You may need to do a master reset of the SYNC system or remove the SYNC fuse and reset the system completely.

As far as the cruise control issue? I don't think it has anything to do with the cruise control unit itself. What grade of gasoline are you using? I've experienced similar behavior if I used a local grocery store's 87 e10 fuel. I've been using higher grade non-ethanol fuels for some time now and do not experience the behavior. It may be worth doing a tune-up on the car. Replace fuel-filter, spark plugs, air filter, clean the MAF, etc etc etc. Your mileage is right around where some of these maintenance items become a necessity.

Just a heads up, our SYNC modules are obsolete and will not receive any further software support from Ford so don't hold your breath for any more updates.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #7
gordol
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
If you haven't registered your car on owner.ford.com yet, you should do so to ensure that you have the latest version of SYNC installed. It sounds to me like you've got the old version
I updated Sync in June, within two weeks of buying the car. The autoplay stopped spontaneously just a couple days ago.

This has happened before, and a phone reboot resolved it, but not this time.

I've also since deleted the pairing (from both sides) and re-paired, and it took several tries to re-establish the pairing. The iPhone would claim the pairing failed when I had just started to enter the code displayed in Sync. And then, no change.

I then discovered something that now makes me thing this issue is with the iPhone and not the car: The playback controls in the iPhone Control Center and lock screen aren't working either.

Quote:
You may need to do a master reset of the SYNC system or remove the SYNC fuse and reset the system completely.
I'll look into that.

Quote:
As far as the cruise control issue? I don't think it has anything to do with the cruise control unit itself. What grade of gasoline are you using? I've experienced similar behavior if I used a local grocery store's 87 e10 fuel. I've been using higher grade non-ethanol fuels for some time now and do not experience the behavior. It may be worth doing a tune-up on the car. Replace fuel-filter, spark plugs, air filter, clean the MAF, etc etc etc. Your mileage is right around where some of these maintenance items become a necessity.
I use the 87 (the recommended grade), usually from Shell or Gulf. I bought the car from the used selection at a reputable new car dealer (Chevy/Honda). And the issue happens ONLY when using cruise control in that speed range and ONLY when going down a slight decline. Uphill, level or a steeper decline while on CC, no problem. When not on CC, no problem. When going faster, no problem.

Quote:
Just a heads up, our SYNC modules are obsolete and will not receive any further software support from Ford so don't hold your breath for any more updates.
No surprise there. And I just checked online, I updated Sync on June 8 and the site says there are no newer updates for my car.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.