Rod bearing replace from below? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-14-2013, 12:06 AM   #1
yatipope
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110588
What I Drive: 2000 yellow ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 yatipope Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Rod bearing replace from below?

A friend of mine has a 2005 ZX3 which has what most certainly is a knocking rod bearing. Can these be inspected/replaced from below by just removing the oil pan? I know the crankshaft journal may be scored and damaged so that needs inspection of course,..BUT just wondering if this style engine permits replacing rod bearings from below! Anybody?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
Trapper L
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54336
What I Drive: 2006 Focus ZX4

FF Reputation: 3 Trapper L Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yeah, but removing the pan is only going to let you gauge the bearing and not the damage from lack of oil on the ring for that cylinder. The oil to the rings is sprayed from the crank cap/rod onto the cylinder walls. Any leakage or a spun bearing means no oil is getting to the ring. It won't last long like that. If it has a bad bearing, it also has a bad piston ring. It's a decent place to start but expect a full rebuild if the bearing is bad.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:42 PM   #3
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

Points 2,381, Level 29
Points: 2,381, Level: 29 Points: 2,381, Level: 29 Points: 2,381, Level: 29
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I don't know about that.
Most engines don't have oil squirters and their rings last just fine, they are mostly for piston cooling not throwing excess oil on the cylinder walls for the oil rings to scrape off.

You can do the rod bearings in car, but you better take a good inspection of the damage or it will be a temporary fix. Usually a spun rod bearing chews up that crank journal enough to require a regrind, and the rod's big end may no longer be true.

Bookmarks & Social Networks