Speaker Building - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-09-2013, 11:15 PM   #1
Duhamel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78883
What I Drive: 2009 Silver SES

FF Reputation: 1 Duhamel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Speaker Building

Anyone build their own speakers? I've taken on a project and am looking forward to the finished product. So far I've put the crossover together and am getting ready to build the cabinet, then I'll order the drivers and other components. The build I'm trying is called Dr. K's MTM. I did some research and a lot of people say to build someone else's tried and true design, then move onto more personalized builds. I'll probably build a few other people's designs before I try my own, just to get my ear and experience at a comfortable level. I'm ordering my crossover components, drivers, and other hardware (connectors, etc.) from parts-express.com. I'm not doing it to make money, just a hobby. Anyone ever give it a try or are actively building their own speakers?

Dr. K's MTM build: http://www.parts-express.com/project...mtm/index.html

Second crossover complete (disregard the burn mark, was already there):

Not the prettiest thing (not much soldering experience) and this is my first build (gotta start somewhere).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2013, 11:45 PM   #2
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 47 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Subscribed

I've been wanting to build some for the longest time, just no time or effort availble since I want them to be top notch. I love Parts-Express, I really like to see what others have built. Have you seen the one that was a huge tower made of transducers instead any woofers. It had like a 100 of them on there, so many that they were able to reproduce some actual lows, not bass per say like a sub, but a good bottom end

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 10-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
$700 plus shipping for 2 speaker w/ some assembly required?

I can't imagine most listeners could tell the difference between this and a nice pair of factory speakers you could buy for half that price.

It's a cool project, but I am not sure I understand the cost to benefit ratio....
Old 10-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
Duhamel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78883
What I Drive: 2009 Silver SES

FF Reputation: 1 Duhamel Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_urn View Post
I can't imagine most listeners could tell the difference between this and a nice pair of factory speakers you could buy for half that price.

It's a cool project, but I am not sure I understand the cost to benefit ratio....
I'm not sure how it all adds up, but at least this way I get to do it over time, and don't have to drop the money on a factory pair in one go. Also, I didn't pick the cheapest build, I picked one that was fully tested to be very well designed. The crossover for this design is also quite expensive and complex in comparison to others. Some say a less complex crossover, others say a more refined one. I just saw it and decided it was the design I wanted to go with. I'm expecting a lot from these when they're complete, hopefully I'm not disappointed.

I'm not going to buy their boxes/cabinets, they're just too expensive. I'm going to price having a local carpenter do them, or do them myself (I'm undecided).

From what I've read you only save about $100-$200 building them on your own. However, these designs have been put through rigorous sound tests, I would even go as far to say they've tested their designs more than most manufacturers. However, again, I'm doing it as a hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyboy View Post
Have you seen the one that was a huge tower made of transducers instead any woofers.
Haven't seen that one, sounds like quite the setup.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:13 PM   #5
CJohn364
GoKart and Me!!!

Fan#: 49277
What I Drive: 2K5 ZX4 SEt (ATX) French Blue, Met

FF Reputation: 119 CJohn364 Excellent Standing Member CJohn364 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Moved to Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics.
Sedan Revolution #61 / NW Posse #2
FF Moderator
Member Rules
Buy-Sell-Trade Rules
Complete 'How-To' Archive
General Racing Thread Rules
Old 10-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
bnoon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116854
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE hatch

FF Reputation: 1 bnoon Good Standing Member
I have a set of home speakers that I assembled myself. 8" DVC JL Audio 8W6 (first series, God those things are going on about 18 years old!!!) and a set of horn drivers for the mids and highs. The 8's run up to about 200HZ and the horns take it from there. A few coils and caps with soft 12db/oct on subs and 24 db/oct cuts on the highs. Not impressive, just simple. Time to recover the grills, they're looking a little ratty after a few moves. I'll post pics soon, I just took them to my renovation house for music while I work. Once the renovation is over maybe I'll recover them. I've built several sets of home speakers for people over the years. It's fun to make wave drive boxes, those are my favorite because they're H U G E ! ! ! and louder than all get out.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #7
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 22 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Honestly speaking, a quality head unit can give you the option of setting xover points eliminating the need for a passive xover. But I would personally use a cap for tweeter protection going that route.

This said, it would be a bunch of fun doing your own set up. But only use quality parts in your xovers. Madisound is another great site as well.

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 10-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #8
jayboe123
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106032
What I Drive: 2007 Liquid Grey ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 jayboe123 Good Standing Member
Hey just browsing the forum and found this! I build my own subs and take parts and mix and match them to make huge power handling subwoofers. Recently bought two lanzar opti1232ds that were blown and reconed them with jl w7 voice coils. Having these subs run at 500 watts a piece I hit a 149.7 with both doors open in term lab sealed was a 147.4. I haven't perfected 6x8's 6x9's.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #9
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 22 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Pics?

Please?

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 10-28-2013, 07:33 AM   #10
jayboe123
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106032
What I Drive: 2007 Liquid Grey ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 jayboe123 Good Standing Member
I can try and find a few on my computer later today but my subs are installed already so I can't really show you any pics of the motor unless I took it out, but I'll get a few up later

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->