Potential ST buyer - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current)

Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current) The place to chat about the 2.0L EcoBoost engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
Baddog671
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119528
What I Drive: 2014 Blue SE sedan, auto

FF Reputation: 1 Baddog671 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Potential ST buyer

I currently have a 2006 Mustang GT, and I decided I need to trade it in. I got a new job that requires me to be on time, every time, so reliability is the main issue. I live in the mountains, and get some decent snow, and I've driven enough winters to finally break down and get something else. Having a car that's better on mpg and has more room is also a plus. I currently get 20-21mpg in my commute, no city driving.

Was originally considering a Focus SE and then buying another "fun car" later on, but now I'm thinking to hell with it, buy a ST and still get another car later on if I decide so

Considering either a performance blue or tangerine 2014 ST, stick, either 201A or 202A trim. Will try to do a test drive here soon, but I liked the SE I test drove, and my dad has an SE as well that he likes.

One thing I'm curious about is how is the aftermarket availability? Only thing I've really seen online is cat-back, intake, 2 or 3 tuners, and some suspension parts.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
Indy'sexclusiveZx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 65419
What I Drive: 2013 tuxedo black st

FF Reputation: 7 Indy'sexclusiveZx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Do it you won't regret your decision you'll get better gas mileage and can fit more people and things in your car, and there is tons of aftermarket support not as much as the mustang but still good none the less
Old 10-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddog671 View Post
I currently have a 2006 Mustang GT, and I decided I need to trade it in. I got a new job that requires me to be on time, every time, so reliability is the main issue. I live in the mountains, and get some decent snow, and I've driven enough winters to finally break down and get something else. Having a car that's better on mpg and has more room is also a plus. I currently get 20-21mpg in my commute, no city driving.

Was originally considering a Focus SE and then buying another "fun car" later on, but now I'm thinking to hell with it, buy a ST and still get another car later on if I decide so

Considering either a performance blue or tangerine 2014 ST, stick, either 201A or 202A trim. Will try to do a test drive here soon, but I liked the SE I test drove, and my dad has an SE as well that he likes.

One thing I'm curious about is how is the aftermarket availability? Only thing I've really seen online is cat-back, intake, 2 or 3 tuners, and some suspension parts.

Thanks!
You haven't been digging deep enough, there's tons of aftermarket parts available already.

As stated there are two main types of tuners, but many vendors with custom programming.

Aftermarket downpipes, catback exhaust systems, lowering springs, stabilizer bars/ anti-roll bars, body kits, lips, short shift brackets, short shift shifter arm mechanisms, intakes, etc...

The aftermarket is pretty vast for a car that was supposed to sell less than 10,000 units per year in the U.S.

I love mine.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
Cruisin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108722
What I Drive: 2013 Ruby Red Focus SE

FF Reputation: 0 Cruisin Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddog671 View Post

Thanks!
SNOW? MOUNTAINS? I'm thinking Ford Escape 4WD with 2.0T
Old 10-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
Baddog671
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks for all the info! I'm sure a few simple bolt-ons would satisfy me, should I choose that route.

No SUV's for me, cruisin ;)
Old 10-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
matmatician
Cars&Corgis

Fan#: 81361
What I Drive: A Garsh Dern 'Murican Flag, Ducatis

FF Reputation: 4 matmatician Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Checkout http://www.fswerks.com/ , they have just about everything you could want for the ST! They're fun little cars man, my friend has one and I got to drive it... Holy smokes. I was impressed!!

Specifically, here's their selection for the ST:
http://www.fswerks.com/collections/focus-st-2013
ROTM June '13, PNW Crew #42, SR #245, Rally Rev #02
Old 10-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
milz328
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107100
What I Drive: 2013, Performance Blue, Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 milz328 Good Standing Member
I suggest swapping out the stock tires in the winter time they are terrible in the snow!
Old 10-08-2013, 01:59 AM   #8
sambrower
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109589
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 sambrower Good Standing Member
great car

This car is a blast! Thankfully it is also practical and the gas mileage isn't bad at all (especially if you can keep your foot off the gas sometimes). I have the ST3 and couldn't be happier, you can tell that the people who designed this car are enthusiasts. I commute 15 miles each way on a mix of hwy and twisty country roads and i average about 25 mpg. Also I have driven in snow each winter since I started driving and with some winter tires this thing does just fine (although I haven't done anything in the mountains, just flats and rolling hills/valleys). In my opinion this is a smart purchase for anyone looking for a fan enthusiast car and practical car in one package.
Rally Revolution, Military Crew
Old 10-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #9
Baddog671
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by milz328 View Post
I suggest swapping out the stock tires in the winter time they are terrible in the snow!
I took a closer look at the stock tired on one at the local dealership and I would have to agree! Summer tires sure wouldn't be fun, and a treadwear of 240 wouldn't last very long.

I test drove a Race Red ST1, zero options, and it was pretty nice inside and out. Drove nicely enough, although the sales guy rode with me which inhibited me from driving aggressively, lol. Kept telling me how the ST would smoke my Mustang which got annoying. Hang with me, probably, but didn't have the umph I'm used to at ~48 less hp and ~55 les tq.

Biggest turn off was the torque steer was very bad, in my opinion. Took off fast in first and it pulled to the right, slammed into second and it pulled to the left. Felt very "unsure footed".

:/
Old 10-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #10
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Don't fight the electric assist and torque steer is minimal.

Hold the wheel straight and the car usually corrects perfectly, lol.

Bookmarks & Social Networks