Winter tires, do you use them and what kind? - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-19-2013, 07:40 AM   #31
thenorm
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14947
What I Drive: '04 liquid grey ZX3, built for FSP

FF Reputation: 33 thenorm Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shjeeper View Post
(Hoping this keeps in-line with the OP's question..)

Has anyone here used Michelin X-Ice's and the Bridgestone Blizzak's? This will be the first winter I've ever bothered with buying a set of rims/tires for the wife's car...
both are top of the line winter tires. great on ice. You won't be disapointed with either. If you are gonna use them in NC, just make sure you take them off in the spring. they would wear out much faster at temperatures over 50F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2013, 07:49 AM   #32
SnowBaller
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119816
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 SnowBaller Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I am picking my 2013 focus hatch titanium in Monday, and I already have 18" continental DSW extreme contact tires waiting for the winter (all season). I live in nyc. Imho, winter tires are a waste.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using FF Mobile
Old 10-19-2013, 11:45 PM   #33
ishmael2
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118954
What I Drive: 2014 Black SE Hatch - 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 1 ishmael2 Good Standing Member
I'm in Minnesota and will definitely be buying winter tires. A couple years ago it snowed over a foot (when the metrodome roof collapsed here) and I remember driving my '04 Taurus with all seasons that still had half tread left. It was miserable then and I don't feel like being that stressed driving in the snow again.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #34
10'ses
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 75646
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy SEL Sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 1 10'ses Good Standing Member
Snow tires for me made driving a mustang when they was 4-5inches of snow on the road, 100% safe. I'll definitely be buying them for the focus. I ran the Goodyear ultra grip ices and was happy. My buddy has the x-ice 2s on his 3 series and swears by them so I may try a set of the new x-ice 3s this time.

Her: 2014 Black/Black SE 201a Sedan; DCT; Cold Weather Pkg (leased; staying stock)
Old 10-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #35
mikesusz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 326
What I Drive: 2013 PB Ti Hatch +Handling

FF Reputation: 4 mikesusz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
i always run snow tires in the winter, mostly because i always run summer tires in the summer. if i had all-seasons i might try to get by in the winter, but since my other choice is summer rubber i always opt to have a set of snows.

for my Mk1 when i lived in Seattle, i ran 15" focus alloys with blizzaks. they were bouncy and squishy but for the few times in snow (when it snowed in the lowlands and when we went to the mountains) they were great. unfortunately hitting some debris on the highway took those out of commission.

when we moved back to NH, i got a set of OEM cougar alloys off craigslist with michelin x-ice. 16's, so a bit less sidewall but still the taller tread makes them a bit ... 'squidgy' is the best way i can describe it. you notice a bit of slop if you try to maneuver quickly on dry pavement. nothing worrysome, but you know you're definitely not driving a grippy summer tire.

the x-ice seemed smoother and quieter in good conditions than the 'zaks. and they got me through some bad conditions here (in the hilly/semi-mountainous southwestern NH and north central MA) with a lot less worry than i might have experienced otherwise.

now for my Mk3, i bought a set of cheap OEM Volvo 16" alloys, and have Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2's on the way. i was able to find compatible TPMS on eBay for about $50/set. all told, with mount and balance i'll have just under $900 into the set. they should last me at least 4 seasons (probably more), and i think it's worth it.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #36
sastexan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109761
What I Drive: Former '98.5 Contour SVT w/ 3L

FF Reputation: 1 sastexan Good Standing Member
I was running circles around Explorers, Outbacks, JGCs, and other AWD or 4WD vehicles in the snow in my old Contour SVT with my Michelin Arctic Alpins. I loved seeing the look on their faces when they were struggling to get up a hill and I just cruised by them, like I was on a Sunday drive.

I also (nearly) learned the hard way that summer tires are terrible in the cold and ice and snow. Get to be hard as a rock when below 45 degrees, and act like slicks in the other stuff - even just chilly rain. Worth every dollar if you know you will have to deal with that type of inclement weather.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #37
FocusGhia
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94579
What I Drive: 2001 Ghia 1.6

FF Reputation: 3 FocusGhia Good Standing Member
Now got TS850's on 2001 Focus, Ultragrip 8's on wife's 2010 Focus and MS Plus 66's on sons Corsa......roll on the winter.

Just love the snow!
Old 11-03-2013, 01:34 AM   #38
GreySkorpion
saved from the grave

Fan#: 94674
What I Drive: 2004 LG ZX5 2.3D

FF Reputation: 11 GreySkorpion Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
All depends on how much snow you get where you lie. I have lived in Kansas my whole life, 40 years, we get anywhere from 20-40" of snow a winter. I have never had snow tires, never had a wreck in the snow, not even a close call. They keep our roads clean though. I drive 20 miles one way to work. Slow and steady is the key. I will NEVER buy snow tires.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:21 AM   #39
Joey D
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86391
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Titanium 5-Dr

FF Reputation: 2 Joey D Good Standing Member
Winter tires are for more than just snow, they provide better grip in colder temperatures too. With that said I think it's unsafe to drive without them if you live in any area that experiences winter.

I run Michelin Aplin PA3's mounted to 17" Momo Winter 2 rims. The slightly more performance oriented winter tire helps when the roads are dry and I need to travel long distances on the freeway.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #40
RetAFEng
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 117690
What I Drive: 2013 White Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 RetAFEng Good Standing Member
Got a tire package from Ford. selected Michelin X Ice 3- 195 15Inches on a steel rim. The comments on the 15 " vice the 18" is that the ride is much more comfortable. The negative is that the Focus can over power the 195 width with easy on wet roads from a stop. The X ice 3 is rated pretty good on wet surfaces yet without too much on the accelerator pedal I broke loose the front tires several times on the wet roads especially over pavement markings. Good thing that we get very little snow here in Victoria.
Mini Lincoln
2010 Ford Ranger Sport Ext Cab 4.0 V6

Bookmarks & Social Networks