Winter tires, do you use them and what kind? - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #21
thenorm
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14947
What I Drive: '04 liquid grey ZX3, built for FSP

FF Reputation: 33 thenorm Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I always run snow tires. Even though it only snows a few times a year. (but i do go upto skihills so they help there.

I have enough skill that I probably don't need tires, but there is something pretty awesome about driving circles around people on the street who are slip sliding into curbs etc. The amount of confidence you have due to the traction of snow tires is astonishing. I would never go back. Many people who say they never have and never will don't know what they're missing, in my opinion.

I have separate wheels and tires.

They dont cost much more. they do offset wear on your summer tires afterall, so year to year operating cost is not more than summer tires, but there is a bigger up front cost due to extra wheels, tpms, etc.

if you want an easy "in" to the winter tire scene, just buy a used set off of craiglist of the classified here. ex, I bought my sister wheels and winters for $250, and they lasted her 3 winters.

PS. a set of wheels and tires is probably cheaper than your deductable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2013, 12:15 AM   #22
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 8 Joeywhat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorm View Post
PS. a set of wheels and tires is probably cheaper than your deductable
Yes...and no amount of driving prowess helps when the jack knob in front of you decides to cut you off or if a deer runs in front of you at you can't stop in time because your tires suck. Unexpected things happen, being able to control your vehicle as best as possible is generally a good idea regardless of the weather.

The people saying "well I got around all my life with bald tires in the snow, so HA!" can probably do just fine when it's just them on the road. But add in all the variables and now you are a liability and can hurt someone very easily...or you'll be pissing everyone off because you're driving so slow so you can stop in a reasonable amount of time (and will be stuck at the traffic lights trying to accelerate...but failing miserably).

It's already super annoying when people drive around in fair weather with poor tires, don't be "that guy" that does it in the snow as well.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 10-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #23
Neptune15
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91691
What I Drive: '07 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Neptune15 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I think the main problem, at least here in Canada, is people don't know what to do in the snow. They don't understand the relationship between a tire trying to steer a car and a tire trying to stop a car. It can't do both well at once - either pick one, or compromise both. I cringe when I see people turning on an icy off-ramp with the brake lights on the whole way.

They tell you in theory "let off the brake and steer into the slide," but how many people, panicking that they are about to smash into a pole/car, are going to remember this rule, let alone apply it? It's not intuitive at all. Your car isn't stopping, so your automatic instinct is to apply more braking force. The fact is a lot of drivers don't know how to get out of a slide, and that just makes the situation really bad, snow tires or not.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #24
Julian@TireRack.com
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 102247
What I Drive: N/A

FF Reputation: 2 Julian@TireRack.com Good Standing Member
Before I worked here I didn't know any better, but after 1 lap on our test track in all-seasons and winters I will never drive anything but a dedicated snow tire in the winter. The car turns when you turn the wheel, accelerates and stops when and where you want it too. What gets me is people that still swear only 2 tires on the driving axle is all they need. Sure you will be able to accelerate better, but what about turning??? Take a look at this video we made a while back and see for yourself.

Why Gamble With Winter Tire Selection When Four of a Kind Always Beats Two Pair?

Remember to reference Julian/Focus Fanatics in the "previous contacts" field to make sure the forum get's credit!
Old 10-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #25
jrharv
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9452
What I Drive: 2010 Red Hyundai Elantra sedan 4dr

FF Reputation: 1 jrharv Good Standing Member
First time ever I put snows on last year, Michelin Xice and they were a dream. We had some decent snowfall in Ontario last year so they were worth it. Having totalled the Focus, i now need to sell these, on Kijiji, but Focus owners don't seem to be around for them. Tires are 195/55r/15s (which is threshold 3% off the 60r it should have been, which I ordered), much better than the Dunlop all-seasons it had.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #26
RetAFEng
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 117690
What I Drive: 2013 White Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 RetAFEng Good Standing Member
I have just ordered Michelin X Ice 3's in a 15" wheel.
Julian, I agree you and the need of 4 winter tires on your vehicle. Worked with a guy who only put them on his front (drive) wheels and 2 winters in a row I saw him in the ditch at the end of a slow turn and at a speed change from 60 to 80 kmh. He could not understand why the rear of his car wanted to pass the front end at the end of this gentle turn.
Mini Lincoln
2010 Ford Ranger Sport Ext Cab 4.0 V6
Old 10-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #27
TKG26
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117681
FF Reputation: 1 TKG26 Good Standing Member
I run snow/ice tires for a few reasons:
-its winter my 18" alloys are for summer
-running a nice 15" balloon tire absorbs pot holes and poorly maintained roads that are ice rutted
-you get actual grip from snow tires
-simply safer
-if you do slide and curb the car you bending a 50$ rim not an expensive alloy

I just grabbed a set of Pirelli WINTER ICECONTROL
Old 10-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #28
shjeeper
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 66435
What I Drive: 2002 Charcoal Ford Focus SE 2.0 SPI

FF Reputation: 1 shjeeper Good Standing Member
(Hoping this keeps in-line with the OP's question..)

Has anyone here used Michelin X-Ice's and the Bridgestone Blizzak's? This will be the first winter I've ever bothered with buying a set of rims/tires for the wife's car...
Old 10-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #29
TKG26
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117681
FF Reputation: 1 TKG26 Good Standing Member
One thing I was told about the tires I got vs the others is the tread is cut deeper for longer ice snow grip
Old 10-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #30
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 9 PratoN Good Standing Member
Sure do. 195/65R15 Nokian Hakka R's. They've done great the last 2 winters.

Bookmarks & Social Networks