2003 2.3L Duratec woes. Need some insight. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
Cudarich
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 73656
What I Drive: a car

FF Reputation: 1 Cudarich Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2003 2.3L Duratec woes. Need some insight.

Hello everyone. Let me make a quick note to explain myself. I've use this forum and others before for reference when working on my fiance's focus, but I am now at a point where certain maintenance is required where I need some focus experts input.

We have a 2003 2.3L duratec Foucs SE with 139000 miles on it. I do all of the regular maintenance and repairs on it. I am a Mechanical Engineer with a lifelong passion for motorsports, racing, restoring, and upgrading cars. I have a lifted ram 1500 that I have worked on, repaired, and upgraded extensively, and my DD is a 2008 Mazdaspeed3 that is fully bolted.

Now onto the issue at hand, the focus has been a terrific car for us its whole life and is now in need of a little extra care. It has developed a bit of a rough idle and has left me scratching my head a bit.

I began by checking the vacuum lines the best I could and can find no obvious leaks. The one questionable place is here

I'm not entirely sure if this line is pcv or break booster line, but it connects into the top of the intake manifold just behind the throttle body. It seems a little loose, but I'm not sure if its supposed to be or not. If I wiggle this line while the car is idling it doesnt seem to have an effect.

Next, the air filter vacuum indicator gauge thing has recently broken. I pulled all the parts I could out and was left with this
I'm not sure what the part it plugs into is called, as it is not the air filter box. Also, there is a port right below where this vacuum indicator goes that is open: Not sure if anything is actually supposed to connect to this, as I dont see any lines that should be connected to it anywhere.

My final concern is a bad ticking sound I'm getting from the valve cover. I've experienced this before with my truck and have done a complete cam job, replacing cam, lifters, and springs before on my truck. I am curious as to if this potentially bad cam could be contributing to my rough idle situation. If that is the case and I need to do a cam job. What is a good factory replacement cam and is there any kits out there that include tappets/springs/lifters/etc.?

I've seen a few people recommending Crower cams for factory replacements and was wondering if this is the one: http://www.crower.com/index.php/cams...camshafts.html

Sorry if any of these are noob questions, flame if you must, but I would greatly appreciate any input! Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
felixthecat
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 12,132, Level 72
Points: 12,132, Level: 72 Points: 12,132, Level: 72 Points: 12,132, Level: 72
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 65 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
That ticking noise is the imrc, aka tumble flaps, which are in the intake manifold runners. Try undoing the vacum line to the electronic vacum switch on top of the manifold on the drivers side. Another issue is the hose behind the intake manifold= you have to remove the i/m off to get to it. Is there a vacum leak? Does the motor idle smooth or rough? 139,000= its time to replace the air cleaner. A great upgrade is the Steeda sri.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mixBigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 10-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
homey55
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54911
What I Drive: 2003, Silver, ZX3 2.3 5-speed

Points 1,129, Level 18
Points: 1,129, Level: 18 Points: 1,129, Level: 18 Points: 1,129, Level: 18
Level Up 29% Completed
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 4 homey55 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
A great upgrade is the Steeda sri.
No Bueno in California...Have to find a used Cosworth...only option for that model and year in CA.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
Cudarich
Focus Rookie

I began all of this digging initially because of the rough idle it had developed. I'm not entirely sure where to start.... Is there any schematics/documentation of the vacuum system? My Haynes manual seems to like to skip over most of that system for the duratec. In my OP I mentioned the only questionable vacuum fitting I could find was the one on the top of the intake manifold just past the throttle body. I'm pointing to it in the first pic. As for the air filter, I thought someone mentioned somewhere that it might be under warranty, if not I'll probably fab a stealth air filter inside the lifetime filters box.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #5
Highball116
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 112564
What I Drive: 2005 Red ZX4

Points 559, Level 11
Points: 559, Level: 11 Points: 559, Level: 11 Points: 559, Level: 11
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 3 Highball116 Good Standing Member
Have you checked the idle air control valve? Not sure about the 2.3, but on the 2.0 it's on the intake manifold behind the throttle body. Also, search the forum and do some reading on the tumble flaps, as that's a very serious threat to your engine. Pre-2005 Duratecs had an issue with those flaps breaking, and pieces of the plastic entering the cylinders. You didn't mention that the car runs badly, just that the idle is rough, so I doubt your tumble flaps have come apart. However, one indicator that precedes failure is a loud ticking noise. Try to get your ear in there and see whether it's coming from the valve cover or the intake. Keep in mind that the injectors can be quite noisy on these engines as well.

Hey, at least you have a timing chain, right?

Toby
Old 10-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #6
Cudarich
Focus Rookie

Thanks for the replies and info. The car runs fine off idle, but once it gets back to idle it intermittently coughs and sputters. It threw a code yesterday, but it was a cylinder 2 misfire, which I chalked up to the rough idle. I checked my plugs and re-gapped them. A few of them were just barely large, but they all looked good. I'll do some homework on these tumble flaps. I'm pretty sure I've played with them on my Mazda... Like little secondary butterflies in each runner, actuated by a vacuum diaphragm right? This weekend I'll go around all the vacuum lines with a spray bottle of soapy water. I think we have a mechanics stethescope at work, I'll bring it home and try to listen to the valve cover and the intake.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #7
Cudarich
Focus Rookie

And Toby, yes timing chain is fine, I'm assuming from your context that these motors are interference fit... I did speak to Dan at fswerks and he said he didn't think it would be all that necessary to replace it and it should last.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.