MPG Boost with Premium - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > DURATEC Performance (2003-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
Saiyajinss
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118568
What I Drive: 2005 Liquid Metallic Grey ZXW

FF Reputation: 1 Saiyajinss Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
MPG Boost with Premium

I know the general conciseness is 87 unless tuned. But my 05 ZXW Auto has felt like it's been pulling timing in the mid rpm range since I bought it a month ago. I replaced the plugs, fuel filter, Oil, ran top tier station 87 fuel, and added a CAI but still 24-27 Mpg was the best I saw.

Before heading to the Orlando Airport (an easy drive mostly 65 and 45 zones) I decide to gas up and since it was cheap I decide to try Premium to see if the computer was pulling timing. The last time I made that drive I got 27 MPG calculated at the pump using race track 87.

With Race Track premium the 111 mile drive took 3.266 gal or 33.9865 MPG with the AC on! I tanked up at the same pump, no 15, till it clicked and then a touch more to make sure I'm full.

What gave it away was normally I get 75 or so miles out of the first quarter tank. This time I was hitting 3/4 at 110.

I don't think the car is tuned since it belonged to one older lady owner (only 26K miles on it now) and I am at sea level. But WTF ? I'm going to check my MPG again after city driving this week to see if it's up as well.

Any one run into anything similar?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
#1fordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83143
What I Drive: 2005 white se zx4

FF Reputation: 3 #1fordfan Good Standing Member
nope,i ran 93 in my 2005 for 2 months last year as an experiment,didn't see a bit of difference then I did on 87 as far as MPG's go. It might have idled a little smoother and had just a bit more power,but most likely it was my imagination. My 05 is averaging 31-32 now unless I go on long road trips,the it can get 34 if I drive the speed limit,so I guess I don't have much to complain about since these numbers are higher then most others I have read about on here.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
Dgc333
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85422
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
I have a 13 ST and the mileage us the same whether I use 87 or 93. Can't really tell a difference in power either. BTW, I get 31-33 mpg on my suburban commute and 34-35 mpg on the hiway if I keep under 70.

Question for you was the "race track premium" E0?

You will see a difference in mileage if you switch between gas with ethanol (E10) and gas without (E0).
Old 10-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
Saiyajinss
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118568
What I Drive: 2005 Liquid Metallic Grey ZXW

FF Reputation: 1 Saiyajinss Good Standing Member
Race track is e10 for all octane levels. It's right on the way to Orlando for me so it's convenient and a lot of people around here swear by it for quality fuel. It's also only 2 years old so the tanks are likely cleaner. I also use Hess, Sunoco and Chevron.

I've noticed the AC doesn't effect acceleration as much as it used to. Been hot and humid as crap here in Florida. So far I haven't driven enough to make 3/4 tank but I'll let you know what semi-aggressive urban driving gets. Lots of stop and go here. I'm planning to head back to the same pump to top off when I do.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
Vincent
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 62713
What I Drive: 2013 ST and 2005 Turbo ZXW

FF Reputation: 1 Vincent Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1fordfan View Post
nope,i ran 93 in my 2005 for 2 months last year as an experiment,didn't see a bit of difference then I did on 87 as far as MPG's go. It might have idled a little smoother and had just a bit more power,but most likely it was my imagination. My 05 is averaging 31-32 now unless I go on long road trips,the it can get 34 if I drive the speed limit,so I guess I don't have much to complain about since these numbers are higher then most others I have read about on here.
I'd have to agree with 1fordfan. I was experiencing on avg about 32 mpg on 93 octane with my ZXW. After the turbo, mpg dropped to avg 28 but I attest that to putting my foot into. So the short of it, if mpg is your goal and you have a stock tune, save the money.
2005 ZXW - FS Stg 2 Turbo Kit, CFM 67mm t-body, Cosworth Stg 2 Cams, Crower Springs and Retainers, CFM Underdrive Pulleys, FS 2.25" Turbo back, EBC Discs, Hawk Pads, Eibach Sways, H&R Springs, Falken Wheels, VIS CF Hood
Old 10-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
replica81
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88615
What I Drive: 05 ST

FF Reputation: 2 replica81 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Octane won't change MPG on most cars. If the car is pulling timing due to ping from low octane, it's probably a maintenance issue or just a fluke.
SR #272
Beer and Metal.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:31 AM   #7
subieracer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119453
What I Drive: 2005, Silver ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 subieracer Good Standing Member
Must be nice pulling low 30's. My 2005 ST seems to be stuck at 24/25 and that's mostly hwy driving. I'm gonna start doing the normal stuff like plugs and fuel filter. Prob due at 100k miles.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 47 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by subieracer View Post
Must be nice pulling low 30's. My 2005 ST seems to be stuck at 24/25 and that's mostly hwy driving. I'm gonna start doing the normal stuff like plugs and fuel filter. Prob due at 100k miles.
I'd do the fuel filter at 30k & the plugs at 50k.
Interduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131

Bookmarks & Social Networks