How-to....Paint interior trim easily. 56K friendly. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-26-2009, 10:22 AM   #1
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Memberbluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
How-to....Paint interior trim easily. 56K friendly.

All the photos I post in this thread are around 100k ea.

The idea here is to totally avoid touching the surfaces to be painted.....and I assume you'll be using a can of spray paint (your choice). These cans spray best if held level.......this method allows that.

You simply get a set of clamps (available everywhere). For a big heavier piece of trim, you'll need a big/strong clamp, maybe two clamps......ones that will hold the trim securely when the trim piece is moved to different positions. I also attach a bungee cord to the clamp, so when the painting is finished, I just hang it somewhere to dry.

Attach the clamp to the rear securely, clean the surfaces to be painted with solvent (your choice).....and never touch the trim again. Hold it with the clamp only, and when finished painting, hang it up. For small pieces you use a smaller clamp. Use a rubber glove to keep paint off your hand. The technique works well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
TaylorinAlaska
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62423
What I Drive: F-dub soon-to-be

FF Reputation: 17 TaylorinAlaska Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I had a problem with paint runing, and I think having it upside down would make it worse, wouldn't it? But i love the clamp idea, thanks!
Old 04-26-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Memberbluefront Excellent Standing Member
The painting is done with the can right-side-up......you just hold the clamp and move the trim around as you paint.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:45 PM   #4
HGFireHazard
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55362
What I Drive: 2009 Red SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 6 HGFireHazard Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorinAlaska View Post
I had a problem with paint runing, and I think having it upside down would make it worse, wouldn't it? But i love the clamp idea, thanks!
Paint running has more to do with overspray than it does with the orientation of the object you're spraying. That isn't to say that objects facing certain directions can make it easier or harder, but you should be able to get a decent coating on something upside down if you're careful.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:50 PM   #5
TaylorinAlaska
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62423
What I Drive: F-dub soon-to-be

FF Reputation: 17 TaylorinAlaska Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGFireHazard View Post
Paint running has more to do with overspray than it does with the orientation of the object you're spraying. That isn't to say that objects facing certain directions can make it easier or harder, but you should be able to get a decent coating on something upside down if you're careful.
So basically, thin layers is the best method?
Old 04-27-2009, 12:42 AM   #6
leh0825
[:)][:)][:)][:)] I got this!!!!

Fan#: 63206
What I Drive: 04 F250 FX4 6.0L

FF Reputation: 8 leh0825 Good Standing Member
yes thin layers on multiple time....im doing mine.. i threw them back in the dash half done because i was going on a day trip.... but i think i was diong mine to heavy. thats why it wasn't very good... plus i did do a little sanding to the first paint to rough it up and see if helped. and it did a little.. BTW nice write up
Team Duratec #220/Sedan Revolution #179/NW Posse#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller_1974 View Post
Geesh. I mean I know it's just a Focus to the repair shop, but they couldn't give You something other than a rolling vagina to drive?
Old 04-27-2009, 06:31 AM   #7
jhurst747
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63743
What I Drive: 2007 Red ZX4 SE

FF Reputation: 1 jhurst747 Good Standing Member
You should always use thin layers. If you want it to have a smooth look and touch when you're finished, make sure you put 5-6 coats of clearcoat over the paint at the end. Let the final coat cure for an hour or so and then use some polishing compound to lightly smooth out the clearcoat. Wax and you're done.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:03 AM   #8
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

I don't like a shiny surface on interior trim pieces......so I never clear-coat. I've painted quite a few interior pieces so far, some red dash parts, and a lot of black trim. Most of these pieces are not subject to wear, so a clear-protective coat is not particularly necessary.

There are a few trim pieces that do get some wear......the trim piece by the door sills. Your shoe slides over this piece and will cause scratches/worn sections. If you want to paint this, a clear-coat will provide protection. For now I'm leaving that piece the OEM gray.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:04 AM   #9
lAj0828
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 117929
What I Drive: 05 Grey ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 lAj0828 Good Standing Member
I have learned that a hand span away is good and overlap by 50%. A hand span away from whatever you're painting would be the distance from the tip of your thumb to the tip of your index finger. I don't know if this will apply to cans.

Bookmarks & Social Networks