Improving throttle response - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
jcsurf2013
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113158
What I Drive: 2013, red, focus se

FF Reputation: 1 jcsurf2013 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Improving throttle response

Other than tuning is there a way to improve the throttle response, to make it feel more like it has a throttle cable than the fly by wire thing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
A K&N filter would help too. If you look around, you'll see a thread about the snorkel delete solution also. Take your time and read the thread. Then, make a decision.
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
jcsurf2013
Focus Rookie

I have a K&N drop in and the ford racing cold air intake in place of the stock snorkel. This is my first car with an electronic throttle, it just doesnt resond like a good ol' throttle cable does.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
ProjectCommuter
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105046
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus SE 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 ProjectCommuter Good Standing Member
You answered your own question. Electronic throttle. Hence the need for tuning to improve throttle response.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
mstamper
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 114218
What I Drive: 2012, White Focus MK3 SE Automatic

FF Reputation: 1 mstamper Good Standing Member
With so many electronics running in the cars today the only way to really improve throttle response is with an electronic tune.

I have the one from Injected Engineering and it has done wonders to improve the response.
They are also working on a tune for the DCT transmission. That will help a ton as well.

You could also do what a lot of people here have done, change out the Rear Motor Mount to the Electronic Focus mount and get less engine movement and more Torque down to the wheels.

I have done the K&N drop in, snorkel delete, RMM change out, and the Injected tune. LOVE how the car drives now. Eagerly waiting on the DCT trans tune.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
Userdenied
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116334
What I Drive: '13 Black Ti Hatch 5-Speed

FF Reputation: 5 Userdenied Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstamper View Post
You could also do what a lot of people here have done, change out the Rear Motor Mount to the Electronic Focus mount and get less engine movement and more Torque down to the wheels...
Would you be able to expand on what is different with the stock Focus motor mount and the one from the Focus electric? How difficult is changing the rear mount? I have only ever helped change motor mounts on a '97 Contour and the rear mount was more than a slight pain in the ass.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
ProjectCommuter
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105046
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus SE 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 ProjectCommuter Good Standing Member
Search and ye shall find.....

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...ar+motor+mount
Old 09-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectCommuter View Post
You answered your own question. Electronic throttle. Hence the need for tuning to improve throttle response.
Lots of cars with electronic throttles have perfectly fine response. My Mazda MX5 has an electronic throttle and great response, for example. So it isn't inherent in the technology, but in how the electrics are set up.

In the Focus, I wouldn't be surprised if throttle response was intentionally soggy to protect the DCT clutches. In addition, with the fuel economy bias in the Focus, the engine is typically at pretty low revs where throttle response wouldn't be brilliant anyway.

As another suggestion, the OP could look for a thread called "5 minute throttle response/DCT solution", which may provide some relief.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #9
jcsurf2013
Focus Rookie

The throttle response I'm talking about...here is an example....if your at a red light or stop sign, on an incline, in the time it takes to let off the brakes and move your foot over to the gas pedal, start giving it some gas and releasing the clutch (we're talking 5 speed manual, sorry should have mentioned that in the beginning) the car wants to start rolling backwards. Alot of times I have stalled it because the throttle just doesn't respond quick enough and it stalls. Sometimes I'll hold the parking and start releasing the clutch to prevent it from rolling backwards. I have been driving manuals off & on for over 30 years so I know it not me. Thats what I mean when I said "to make it act more like a cable operated throttle" That the throttle does exactly what your foot does. Otherwise, I love the car. Might be time to look at Injected Engineering for a tune. Thanks guys for your input.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
mstamper
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 114218
What I Drive: 2012, White Focus MK3 SE Automatic

FF Reputation: 1 mstamper Good Standing Member
I can only speak for me and my car. I run an automatic and I can tell you that the response time you are looking for I have found with just doing the injected tune, adding the other mods only made it that much better.
it is truly a night and day difference.

Bookmarks & Social Networks