Some History on Ford's Dual Clutch Pwershift - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-28-2013, 10:41 PM   #11
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegachicago View Post
So has anyone found out what causes the grinding noise, crazy actuators, clutch chatter, or gremlins?
It seems to be mystery to most people that the DCT is controlled by computer and that there are several firmware versions (each one being better than the last).

Thinking that the DCT is a purely mechanical device would explain much of the incorrect (and irrational) thinking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2013, 12:09 AM   #12
vegachicago
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89988
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 2 vegachicago Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
It seems to be mystery to most people that the DCT is controlled by computer and that there are several firmware versions (each one being better than the last).

Thinking that the DCT is a purely mechanical device would explain much of the incorrect (and irrational) thinking.
I had my trans replaced in July of this year and its been great. Therefore, my question as to what causes the grinding noise, etc. My vehicle was current as to firmware yet it would shudder, grind, and make metallic noises while shifting. After the new clutch pack, presto, all good. I would say it had to be mechanical.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:15 AM   #13
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegachicago View Post
I had my trans replaced in July of this year and its been great. Therefore, my question as to what causes the grinding noise, etc. My vehicle was current as to firmware yet it would shudder, grind, and make metallic noises while shifting. After the new clutch pack, presto, all good. I would say it had to be mechanical.
Please don't throw logic at Kabigon. It gives him a real headache. Just nod, smile, agree the DCT is flawless and move on. :rolleyes:

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using FF Mobile.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #14
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Fan#: 103056
What I Drive: 2014 SGM Fusion Ti

FF Reputation: 37 jdubhack Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Moved to "Ford Focus & General Car Chat."

*Warning*

If this thread turns into another thread that is simply DCT bashing and doesn't stay on topic, infractions will be handed out.

And, thanks for the articles!

<>< Gal. 6:14
April 2013 HOTM
2013 Ford Fun Weekend: Show Class Winner
Old 09-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #15
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
I find it interesting that , according to the first link, the dct was not engineered to operate well nor withstand the classic and very common 2-4mph crawl, one
that many drivers experience daily
Not exactly. They said it does have the crawl feature and that it was tested in Mexico City where drivers stay close to the car in front crawling along.

Quote:
With a properly functioning transmission, excessive heat buildup won't occur during normal or even aggressive driving, Rich claimed. Various forms of abusive low-speed/high-load operation, however, can heat up the DSG clutch. The most severe buildup occurs if the driver uses the gas pedal to hold the car on a relatively steep upgrade, or even creep slightly uphill at perhaps 2-4 mph, Rich said.
The virtual sensor can detect a "hold" and change clutch application torque slightly, so the car will start to roll back (although a warning message precedes that).

The objective is to induce the driver to apply the brakes, which disengages the clutch (producing neutral idle), cooling the clutch.
If the driver attempts to launch repeatedly in a 2-4 mph crawl-along and the clutch assembly is hot, the computer will inhibit launch to allow some cooling. Ford tested its algorithm in Mexico City, Rich said, where drivers tend to keep close to the car in front, and the clutch assembly didn't overheat. The PowerShift does have the creep function that drivers expect, however, along with a hill-hold, in which the brake pressure holds briefly as the driver switches to the gas pedal.
http://articles.sae.org/8287/
Old 09-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #16
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
A fair stretch of my commute on the DC beltway is a stop and go crawl up a prolonged upgrade. Figures.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using FF Mobile.

Bookmarks & Social Networks