SVT will be back in full swing, as I said - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-18-2004, 06:56 PM   #1
jevoe015
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14531
What I Drive: 04 Red SVT 5 Door

FF Reputation: 1 jevoe015 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
SVT will be back in full swing, as I said

To the mod who told me I was wrong and locked the thread when I told you all I had heard about this coming months ago, and was told my information was trumped by magazine articles claiming SVT was dead;

I think we can all celebrate together now.
[QUOTE]
Ford's SVT leader to retire at year end; automaker says performance group will continue

AMY WILSON | Automotive News
Posted Date: 12/16/04

DETROIT -- The spirited leader of Ford Motor Co.'s special vehicle team is leaving as the SVT program gets new leadership and an expanded role.

After 11 years with SVT, director John Coletti, 55, will retire at year end.

His retirement follows the Dec. 1 departure of Ford product executive Chris Theodore, who backed Coletti. Ford also appointed a new SVT overseer, chief Mustang engineer Hau Thai-Tang, three weeks ago. Tom Scarpello, longtime SVT marketing and sales manager, moved to a new job at Jaguar in November.

The upheaval at SVT, combined with the absence of SVT products for the 2005 model year, has triggered questions about the future of Ford's performance group. But Ford product chief Phil Martens says SVT is here to stay.

"We've retooled SVT," Martens says. "We've appointed Hau, and we still think that's a growth part of our business."

Within the next four years, SVT will have more products than at any time, Martens says. The group's previous high was three, most recently in the 2004 model year.

The redesigned Mustang Cobra SVT is coming in 2006. A redesigned F-150 Lightning SVT pickup had been in the works, but the project was put on ice this year.

SVT will focus on "affordable performance," Martens says. Increased turbocharging and supercharging are part of the plan. Ford has considered developing an SVT version of the 2006 Ford Fusion mid-sized sedan.

Reviving Focus SVT?

Martens notes that product planners are taking another look at a Focus SVT. Ford discontinued the souped-up compact after the 2004 model year, saying the Focus wasn't upscale enough to sustain a performance version.

The door is open for other uses for the SVT program. Though SVT products always will retain a performance element, the group could develop more fuel-efficient engines that could migrate to larger mainstream vehicles, Martens says.

Ford will provide more detail on coming SVT products at the 2005 New York auto show in March.

Last hurrah

Coletti, Ford's master of going faster, says the SVT group is in good shape as he leaves.

"You have a cycle plan," Coletti says. "You will be putting some very special products on the street, and Ford is backing it."

In addition to the Mustang Cobra SVT, the group is working on a halo car to replace the high-performance Ford GT, the project Coletti considers his last hurrah after 33 years at Ford.

"How can you top this?" Coletti asks. "The GT, to me, is just the crowning achievement in my life."

Coletti, known for his enthusiastic personality, doesn't rule out working for another auto company eventually. But he says he'd have to be offered the chance to work on a car better than the GT.

He wouldn't provide details about the GT's successor. Production of the GT will end in 2006 due to new federal crash regulations that would require a reworking of the car.

Product Editor Rick Kranz contributed to this report.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2004, 08:17 PM   #2
bwojdyla
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 3589
What I Drive: Red 2000 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 bwojdyla Good Standing Member
I have to say, within Ford, there was never really a question of whether or not SVT would live or die. It will exist for quite some time. Its just a matter of resources. There is a lot of rumor that the Shelby GR1 will be the replacement fro the GT40 (which would suit me fine, 80 vs 150K is a much better price structure). The SVT Focus also make a lot of sense (to me anyway) thats where a lot of money is these days. The Lightning will exist, its a matter of when. The Cobra will come about, no question about that. I wouldn't be surprised to see it at this years Detroit auto show (xmas #2).

Within Ford, SVT is one of the only things that makes people excited. It beckons to the car guy in all of us, we love to talk about it, it is a motivator. Everybody watches the internal employment listings for SVT positions. Trust me. SVT is about the passion of the people - and it will never die.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:24 PM   #3
SVT4ME

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
Gee, how HUMBLE of you jevoe015. Certainly no hint of "I told you so" in your post or anything. BTW this has already been posted at least once, it's old news. I certainly hope that SVT not only continues, but gets a lot better than it currently is. Top SVT guys leaving doesn't look good on the face of it, but perhaps "fresh blood" is what's needed to move things along.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:40 PM   #4
HotRodWagon
CostraNostraTabasco

Fan#: 145
What I Drive: 02 Infra ZTW

FF Reputation: 25 HotRodWagon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (38)
All these guys have to do is throw us a bone. Give us the muscle car formula. Basic car, 175 whp. Let me show the dam thing up. If I could get an SE with 175whp for 16k, who needs an upscale model. Grr...I'm grumpy tonight.....
Old 12-19-2004, 04:37 AM   #5
jevoe015
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14531
What I Drive: 04 Red SVT 5 Door

FF Reputation: 1 jevoe015 Good Standing Member
give me one good reason to be humble after I said this exact statement 3 months ago and was told "you're wrong, magazines are right"

duh. anyways the whole point of this thread is that it would be so good for new power
Old 12-19-2004, 10:45 AM   #6
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Well its good to hear that Ford is not planning on sending the svt program down the pipes. Definitly going to the auto show again this coming march. Last years was awsome...this years should be even sicker.
Old 12-19-2004, 02:45 PM   #7
SVT4ME

Quote:
Originally posted by jevoe015
give me one good reason to be humble after I said this exact statement 3 months ago and was told "you're wrong, magazines are right"
I dunno, maybe cuz humility is the ADULT thing to do? Not going "nyah nyah nyah nyah, told you!" I don't even remember the thread you're talking about, but apparently you carry a grudge for a long time.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:00 PM   #8
Chrspy640
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11631
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 Chrspy640 Good Standing Member
And how adult is it to complain about someone not being humble enough?
Old 12-19-2004, 08:13 PM   #9
SVT4ME

Don't comment on something you don't know about. The guy thinks I'm an idiot because I trust respected media outlets like Autoweek over what he heard from his dad. Every time he gets the chance he tries to make it look like he's been persecuted for attempting to reveal the truth: "to the mod who told me I was wrong and locked the thread..."
Old 12-19-2004, 08:23 PM   #10
hotfocus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12
What I Drive: OLD: '00 Black ZX3, New: Pontiac G6

FF Reputation: 1 hotfocus Good Standing Member
oh boy here he goes again...your original thread was locked because you were attacking people for no reason and not because you were lacking any creditable source.

Bookmarks & Social Networks