Ford is not the only one with DCT headaches! - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #61
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
They were referring to cars being down for tranny repair not just customer complaints.

I just had my clutch and seals replaced. When the dct is operating as intended, it is not THAT much different than a traditional automatic to cause most people to freak out about it. It is quirky in stop and go traffic, but not radically so. Now, when the seals leak and the clutches start slipping, that is a whole other story. At that point, there were days I wondered if my car was out to kill me. My point being that I am not sure the first category is as big an issue as some people contend. I think people who have not experienced an actual DCT malfunction just assume people are freaking out about nothing.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using FF Mobile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #62
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

FF Reputation: 10 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post
They were referring to cars being down for tranny repair not just customer complaints. ...
In that case it's surprising that they would continue to keep the new Focus in their lineup. Besides the inconvenience of their inventory being disrupted by repairs, they would have to be concerned about being sued if a customer were involved in an accident due to a misbehaving DCT. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes these days. I wonder if it is getting any better with the latest replacement parts and procedures.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:27 AM   #63
slybarman
Focus Addict

They have already purchased the vehicles and they are serviced by Ford under Ford warranty. IIRC correctly, that is part of their business model - only new cars under warranty.I imagine they are in the same boat as every other Ford customer. If there were an accident, their insurance covers it (or maybe they are self insured) and in any case would subrogate against Ford if they think they can prove the car is at fault.

Edit - actually, come to think of it, the customer's insurance picks up the tab unless the renter buys the optional insurance - and probably most don't. So, not much risk for the rental company.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #64
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Quote:
... So, not much risk for the rental company.
But they would probably still prefer not to have to deal with any of that. Except maybe any lawyers who get more work trying to get other peoples headaches to go away.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #65
slybarman
Focus Addict

I'd be curious to see if they stop adding them to their fleet after meeting whatever initial commitment they made to Ford to get their pricing.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #66
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Quote:
I'd be curious to see if they stop adding them to their fleet after meeting whatever initial commitment they made to Ford to get their pricing.

Me, too. If Car-A is in the shop being repaired, even under warranty, and Car-B is on the road generating income, which would they be likely to buy more of the next time? That could be a real headache for Ford.

When (if?) Ford ever makes this DCT demonstrably reliable and user-friendly there might be a business opportunity for someone to buy old Focuses with a problem DCT real cheap, fix them, and resell. The real challenge would be overcoming the bad rep. ("Honest, this one doesn't have all those problems you've read about. It's fixed." "Yeah, sure.")

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->