Ford Focus Rear Brake Noise - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-13-2013, 03:35 AM   #1
jamjam30
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 128434
What I Drive: 2003 Ford Focus 1.4

FF Reputation: 1 jamjam30 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Unhappy Ford Focus Rear Brake Noise

Hi Guys

I have a Ford Focus 2003 1.4 and my car started to make noise during breaking, noise come from left rear break, I have that noise especially when the engine is cold and it goes away after the 100 meters driving.

I have been to 3 different mechanic I have already replaced my rear break shoes,break cyliders and they also checked the bearings and some said they also cleaned the rust but I still have the noise coming from my break.

The noise is like an aircraft taking off , rubbing roaring !

I am going nuts here and I do not really know what to do or what causing this noise.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
FocusKnot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 117505
What I Drive: 2004 Red SE Wagon 2.0 Zetec Auto

Points 1,172, Level 18
Points: 1,172, Level: 18 Points: 1,172, Level: 18 Points: 1,172, Level: 18
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 38%
Activity: 38% Activity: 38% Activity: 38%
FF Reputation: 3 FocusKnot Good Standing Member
Did you do this work (replacing brake shoes, brake cylinders, and bearing check) yourself, or was this done at a shop? There is not much left back there if all of those items are okay. Sometimes the brake shoes make a squeak when the brakes are applied if the contact points on the backing plate are not lubed, but it sounds like you are describing something other than that.

Was this noise there before the work was done, or was the work done because of the noise?

Have you jacked that wheel off the ground to see if it makes noise when you spin it by hand, or if it wiggles in any way?
Old 12-15-2013, 06:27 AM   #3
jamjam30
Focus Rookie

No All the work done by the mechanic at shop .

Okay I have tried to record to noise when I break , somehow it was very hard to record that noise , if you listen to carefully between the 9 th and 12th seconds you will hear the noise when I break ( it is louder in real )

http://youtu.be/AAY5hYMzy2w
Old 12-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #4
Milton
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89715
What I Drive: 2007 Black Focus SES 2.0 L4 4 Door

Points 290, Level 5
Points: 290, Level: 5 Points: 290, Level: 5 Points: 290, Level: 5
Level Up 80% Completed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 8 Milton Good Standing Member
You are going to have to pull the drums and inspect. Could be most anything (developed a rear brake squeal on my 09 Ranger, squeal was the only symptom, sounded just like yours, issue was the same broken spring on both the left and right). Too many things can cause that squeal for guess work. When you check are the leading and trailing edges of the shoes beveled?
Old 12-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
Edgenet
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106043
What I Drive: 2002 Wagon with Zetec, Auto

FF Reputation: 1 Edgenet Good Standing Member
If the car stops straight and there is no brake fluid leaks don't worry. On a nice day remove the rear drums and make sure all moving pars are clean and lube with white grease (never use that crap in a spray can) and all will be ok. If this does not solve the problem then make sure all of the rear suspension components are all lubed I use a brush and brush on gear oil on all moving parts including all rubber parts.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,399, Level 98
Points: 27,399, Level: 98 Points: 27,399, Level: 98 Points: 27,399, Level: 98
Level Up 5% Completed
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Forum Activity 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Things like this are why I learned to work on my own vehicle. Drum brakes are fairly easy, however, stupid mistakes can be made if someone doesn't pay attention to what they are doing.

-- Hold together springs can be installed backwards. The springs will still work, but could rub on other parts.
-- Hold down springs and clips can be installed incorrectly so that the spring appears to work, but the clip breaks loose when operating.
-- Contact grease is most often not installed. Some brake shoe makers design the shoes so that contact grease is not needed, and so mechanics get lazy, then someone ends up with inexpensive shoes that require grease- but no grease is installed. This typically causes a squealing not a grinding noise.

To do your own drums, you simply need good instruction, and the drum brake tool. After that it's easy. There are a lot of mechanics who are missing teeth due to trying to do drum brakes with pliers, so get the tool and learn how to use it. It's not an expensive tool- a tiny fraction of dental work.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #7
jamjam30
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgenet View Post
If the car stops straight and there is no brake fluid leaks don't worry. On a nice day remove the rear drums and make sure all moving pars are clean and lube with white grease (never use that crap in a spray can) and all will be ok. If this does not solve the problem then make sure all of the rear suspension components are all lubed I use a brush and brush on gear oil on all moving parts including all rubber parts.
What if there is break fluid , because that was the case and I had to replace my break cylinders , now car stops fine but I still had the same noise before replacing my break shoes and the break cylinders ... Can it be wheel bearing ?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.