Rear break adjustments - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
Sammy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 63608
What I Drive: 2001 Red Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Sammy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Rear break adjustments

Hello

I am changing the wheel break cylinders on my wife's 2001 Focus Street. I will bleed all four corners afterwards. I do have few questions:
1) Do the rear breaks have to be adjusted or are they the self-adjusting type? If adjustments are needed, can it be done with drums installed?
2) Besides the few spots where the shoes touch the plate, what else needs to be lubricated?
3) Do I need to do anything special with the parking brake/cable?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
emsvitil
Focus Addict

Fan#: 50210
What I Drive: 2000 SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 9 emsvitil Good Standing Member
They self adjust, just collapse them before putting the drums on.

Where the shoes touch the wheel cylinders, and the bottom pivot.

Take the adjusters apart, clean them and a bit of grease where the parts slide.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:43 AM   #3
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
I would NEVER grease the adjuster on these, it attracts dirt instantly and only a little makes them stop working. Not that they work much anyway after the initial set with new parts. You want those small teeth to stay clean as long as they can. BONE DRY is best.

You do not do any backing up, or anything else to self adjust them, simply press brake pedal down once or twice working brake and it's done.

If brake squeaks at slow roll then pull shoes off and grind the right angle of the brake shoe ends to a 45 degree or less and the noise will stop. Don't even need to do all four ends, only the top of front shoe and bottom of the back shoe. These cars are well known for rear squeak that can drive you crazy.

Bookmarks & Social Networks