2004 focus...blower fan not working? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-18-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
sekss
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119059
What I Drive: Car

FF Reputation: 1 sekss Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2004 focus...blower fan not working?

Just started happening. Turn the dial for the heater/cooler fan in the car... fan doesn't turn ON.

I pound on the glove box on the glove compartment a few times and the fan started working again.

But sometimes pounding would not work at all.

Does the fan have to be replaced? Or is there another cultprit?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
Somethin2
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 112494
What I Drive: Black 2006 ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 Somethin2 Good Standing Member
check this idea out.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
Somethin2
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somethin2 View Post
Hey,

IM new just like you. And in order to not be new decided to fish for answers which might help another like me. LOL

This seems to explain away the possible cause. Id keep fishing for ideas about what could be cause. But generally speaking most likely is the culprit. Unless least likely can explain away cause for failure of mechanism to function properly.

Here is what I found during a search at random. Ive had pretty good success with finding answers on how to diagnose and fix things. Admitedly bouncing ideas off of others just like you are doing. Check this out and see if its symptoms are best explained for what is happening with regards to your fan not functioning properly. My personal guess would be what is described here in this FIND. Have a peek at it. If you can find more stuff about this same understanding as it pertains to your year make model etc the likelyhood is this is cause.

title for link...

Ford Focus Blower motor Problem
2004 Ford Focus Repair Question

The heater fan will not turn on. It has been out for about 3 days then it works for about a weeek then goes out again.

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/20...ys-works-weeek
You talk about intermittent issues. Intermittent issues can occur just prior to complete failure of a part. SUch was the case with regards to a Transmission Censor I had in a 1996 Ford Taurus. IT acted up for a while before it failed all together. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can shed a clearer understanding then I can. Hope what I found is part of the solution for you.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
Somethin2
Focus Rookie

Read up on this here.

Intermittent Operation
When the resister of the blower motor starts to fail, the motor operates only intermittently.

http://www.ehow.com/list_7496749_sig...-resistor.html
Old 09-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #5
sekss
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119059
What I Drive: Car

FF Reputation: 1 sekss Good Standing Member
Can I just get the blower motor resistor then? Or is it easier just to get a whole new blower assembly?
Old 09-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
FocusKnot
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117505
What I Drive: 2004 Red SE Wagon 2.0 Zetec Auto

FF Reputation: 3 FocusKnot Good Standing Member
Yes, the blower resistor assembly can be purchased separately from the blower motor.

Does the blower motor operate correctly in position 4 of the blower switch? In position 4 the blower resistor is bypassed.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
spiller
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75607
What I Drive: 11 Sangria SE sed, 01 Wht SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 spiller Good Standing Member
It could be the fan or a loose connection that area. There is a connector to the Fans resistor block and the connector to the fan itself. Replacing the motor may not fix those.
There could be an issue with the brushes on the motor.
I'm a tinkerer so I would pull the fan/motor out and clean it out (there is probably some debris in it) and inspect the brushes an contact points. Also inspect the connectors for signs of corrosion and apply an di-electric grease (lightly). I just hate spending $100+ for a blower motor I might not need or doesn't positively fix the issue.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
FocusKnot
Focus Enthusiast

You are right spiller. I took my blower motor out and cleaned it because it had so many leaves in it that it actually threw it out of balance and vibrated. Previous owner must have parked under a tree! I had to clean the leaves from behind the evaporator too. A cabin air filter stops all of that.

I took the motor apart and oiled the bearings while I had it out. Runs like a new one now!

I wish the OP would answer the question about whether or not the fan runs in position 4. That would help us narrow down the problem for him.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
spiller
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75607
What I Drive: 11 Sangria SE sed, 01 Wht SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 spiller Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusKnot View Post
You are right spiller. I took my blower motor out and cleaned it because it had so many leaves in it that it actually threw it out of balance and vibrated. Previous owner must have parked under a tree! I had to clean the leaves from behind the evaporator too. A cabin air filter stops all of that.
I did add a filter, but not a paper filter of fine dust filer. I took a nylon stocking and stretched over the frame in the intake box to keep large debris from getting in there.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
FocusKnot
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiller View Post
I took a nylon stocking and stretched over the frame
Pretty cool! Now that's improvising at its finest! When I went to pick up a filter for mine, they were going to have to order it and I didn't want to wait. So, I just cut some window screen I had laying around to fit and secured it in place with some sealant. It has been that way for years now.

Bookmarks & Social Networks